Rise of Rone - 5118-02-09 - Bounty Fraud, Granthem Blackouts, and a Triple Threat

The official GemStone IV encyclopedia.
Jump to: navigation, search

Fashanos 9, 5118

by Leafiara Autumnwind of the TownCrier

To discuss this event, see The Officials!


Summary

  • A dockworker named Frederick brings a white-cloaked corpse to the front of Town Hall, claiming it to be Rone and asking Mayor Cruxophim for the bounty money offered by the Town Council. Crux tells him to report to Moot Hall and that he'll be contacted when the body is confirmed to be Rone. The town guard takes the body away.
  • A scream is heard in Moot Hall and Frederick is found dead, where a loresong from Naamit reveals that he committed fraud, killing a Shanty Town man and dressing him up as Rone, before being killed by Rone himself inside.
  • Afterward Granthem is spotted outside of Moot Hall, passed out in the snow. He reports losing time and not knowing how he got there since he was last sleeping in his bed at House Phoenix. Seeing it as a case of sleepwalking, people suggest multiple possible solutions--putting extra locks on his door, having others lock him in, using spells to keep him in his room, tying his ankle to something, staying in a more secure location--and he thanks people for their advice before leaving.
  • Some time later, whorls of mist appear near Xorus, Deckits, and Marijka. Though none of them are attacked, the latter two later report hearing whispered threats.



Log

Frauderick

[Town Square, East]

Here in the center of a broad plaza near the commercial area of the bazaar stands the impressive facade of the slate-roofed Moot Hall, where the citizens of Wehnimer's Landing hold various official, religious and social functions. Facing the square are some of the town's more prosperous shops, still doing business with the many customers who still frequent the streets at night. You also see a large purple wooden barrel, a mound of snow and a mushy black door.

The sky is filled with a blanket of low clouds, pale and unmoving. Sounds seem muffled and the air feels thick and takes on a quiet stillness.

Flakes of snow descend quietly down from the heavens.

A voice shouts nearby, "I got 'em! I got 'em!"

A voice shouts nearby, "Where's the Mayor! I want my reward!"

A scruffy giantman dockworker arrives, chest puffed out, dragging the corpse of a white-cloaked figure behind him, blood trailing in the snow.

The giantman dockworker places his heavy foot on the chest of the corpse, and blood oozes out of the jagged wound.

The giantman dockworker says, "Where is...hey, Mayor."

The giantman dockworker says, "Where is my reward?"

[talk begins and will continue all night about whether having a bounty for dead or alive is alright, whether it should be only alive, whether it's possible to take Rone in alive in the first place, etc.]

Speaking slowly to a scruffy giantman dockworker, Cruxophim chides, "I do not think this was Rone."

The giantman dockworker says, "Hey, I got Rone. The white bandit."

The giantman dockworker says, "Oh, it is."

Speaking simply to a scruffy giantman dockworker, Cruxophim inquires, "And your proof of that?"

>look corp The corpse appears to be a scrawny humanoid garbed in an off-white cloak. A mask is fashioned over the corpse's face, and looks like its created out of two melted silver plates. A jagged wound is still covered with fresh blood in the corpse's chest.

The giantman dockworker says, "I saw him climbing on roofs then he dropped down near the docks."

The giantman dockworker says, "SO I got 'em!"

[most people assume it's not Rone]

Speaking to a scruffy giantman dockworker, Zosopage asks, "So you murdered him?"

The giantman dockworker says, "I tried to capture him but he uh he came at me."

The giantman dockworker says, "So I had to defend myself."

Speaking wryly to a scruffy giantman dockworker, Ariond asks, "Did he now?"

Semiera asks, "Where is his weapon?"

Florania patiently asks, "And what did he come at you with?"

Evician melodically asks, "With what? A ballista?"

Irar says, "Well then, case closed. Let us name... unnamed dockworker as hero of the Landing."

The giantman dockworker says, "I don't know, he was super quick, all fog and stuff yeah."

The giantman dockworker says, "I have a name!"

Speaking calmly to a scruffy giantman dockworker, Cruxophim states, "We'll examine the body to verify, of course. Let us hope this wasn't some poor rube."

The giantman dockworker says, "It's Frederick."

The giantman dockworker says, "Where is my reward Mayor?"

Speaking calmly to a scruffy giantman dockworker, Cruxophim states, "Alright, Frederick, report to the Clerk in Moot Hall. He'll take your information, and we'll contact you once we've confirmed."

The giantman dockworker says, "Sure, sure. I will. What do you want me to do with this body?"

Speaking dryly to a scruffy giantman dockworker, Cruxophim assures, "We'll take it from here."

The dockworker spits on the corpse.

The giantman dockworker says, "Stay dead Rone."

The giantman dockworker bows and heads into Moot Hall.


The Pikeman Guard

A human militia pikeman just arrived!

A human militia pikeman just arrived!

A human militia pikeman just arrived!

A pikeman says, "Mayor?"

Speaking calmly to a human militia pikeman, Cruxophim inquires, "Yes?"

A pikeman says, "You called for the guard."

Cruxophim nods to the militia pikeman.

Speaking politely to a human militia pikeman, Cruxophim requests, "Could you take this body to be examined, posthaste? Can't have it lying about in the street lest Lorminstra grab it?"

The pikeman adjusts his coat, showing off a guard badge.

The guard says, "Yes, we'll inspect it. Is that...Rone?"

The guard looks closer, "...is that a dinner plate?"

Speaking patiently to a human town guard, Cruxophim states, "We don't know."

Speaking wryly to a human town guard, Cruxophim assures, "I intend to find out, however.... I very much doubt it."

The guard carries off the corpse.


Sudden Resolution

A scream echoes from inside Moot Hall!

[everyone heads in and upstairs]

[Moot Hall, Upstairs Corridor]

The end of the hallway is enclosed by large burgundy rugs. Potted plants are displayed on brass stands resting between a polished maoral door and a richly carved mahogany door. The dark corridor doesn't offer much in terms of natural lighting. You also see a frightened elven woman, a bloodied giantman corpse and a sturdy ladder.

The elven woman screams, "There is a body!"

>look corp

The corpse is that of a giantman garbed in dusty dockworker clothes and smelling of salt and oil. He has a series of vicous wounds stretching from side to side of his abdomen and a look of shock frozen on his face.

The elven woman says, "I came to get citizenship, and there's a body! I'm moving!" She runs off.

Naamit sings something quietly in Guildspeak to a bloodied giantman corpse that you don't understand.

The giantman corpse seems to respond to the magic of Naamit's song.

Naamit blinks, staring off into the distance.

Naamit faintly says, "Your vision blurs and colors melt away. You see a scruffy giantman dockworker creep along a dark alley, following a young, scrawny man who is walking home towards Shanty Town from the town museum. As the young man approaches the edge of Shanty Town, the giantman lurches forward, grabbing him from behind and pulling him into an alley."

Naamit sings something quietly in Guildspeak to a bloodied giantman corpse that you don't understand.

The giantman corpse seems to respond to the magic of Naamit's song.

Naamit blinks, staring off into the distance.

Naamit says, "Your vision blurs and colors melt away. You see a scruffy giantman standing over a young human corpse, a bloodied sword in his hand, the obvious instrument of the uneven wound in the body's chest. The giantman reaches into his coat and removes a makeshift mask made of silver dinner plates melted together and grunts as he squeezes it over the corpse's face."

Naamit sings something quietly in Guildspeak to a bloodied giantman corpse that you don't understand.

The giantman corpse seems to respond to the magic of Naamit's song.

Naamit blinks, staring off into the distance.

Naamit says, "Your vision blurs and colors melt away. You see a scruffy giantman standing outside of Moot Hall, admist a large and vocal crowd as snow descends from the sky. The giantman is puffing out his chest and issuing a number of demands, while more than a few in the crowd roll their eyes and shake their heads. The giantman then turns and heads into Moot Hall, leaving the corpse of a white-cloaked body behind him."

Naamit sings something quietly in Guildspeak to a bloodied giantman corpse that you don't understand.

The giantman corpse seems to respond to the magic of Naamit's song.

Naamit blinks, staring off into the distance.

Naamit says, "Your vision blurs and colors melt away. The giantman walks up a flight of stairs in Moot Hall, the noise of the crowd outside still audible. Suddenly from the wall a swirl of ethereal mist appears and a white cloaked figure emerges. The white figure stands for a moment, as if waiting, but the giantman is frozen in fear. The white figure shakes its head and in a blur of motion, with blades of night, slices and dices the abdomen of the giantman before vanishing."

Naamit simply says, "That is all the dockworker had to show us."

A town guard arrives, shaking his head. "We're piling up more corpses than a Winter Gala with Despana...."

The town guard hoists up the body, grunts, and carries it off.

The town guard mutters, "Bodies in the hall, sleeping people in the streets, what is going on with this town..." The guard carries the body off.


Granthem's Restful Troubles

Out through a window, you see two young children giggle while standing next to a body in the street outside of Moot Hall. One of the kids pokes the body, but it does not move. The kids then laugh again and run off.

[everyone travels outside]

[Town Square, East]

Here in the center of a broad plaza near the commercial area of the bazaar stands the impressive facade of the slate-roofed Moot Hall, where the citizens of Wehnimer's Landing hold various official, religious and social functions. Facing the square are some of the town's more prosperous shops, still doing business with the many customers who still frequent the streets at night. You also see a large purple wooden barrel, a mound of snow and a mushy black door.

Also here: Stormyrain, Marshal Madmountan, Dame Evia, Lord Evician, Marijka, Saepre, Chaoswynd, Nakaira, Arnylon, Lord Thrassus, High Lady Quintiana, Irar, Goldstr, Deckits, Mayor Cruxophim, Zosopage, Maiden Balley, Pukk, Lord Lycurgus, Lady Florania, Maags, Mylenna, Telum, Lord Dannore, Lord Monthas, Bernadette, Melivn, Lady Alasatia, Drazaa, Shinann, Azuryn, Kipara, Hapenlok, Vulpecular, Dreuntar, Chopad, Sir Cryheart, Ambassador Ardwen, Illona, Lord Nehor, Kipa, Ariond, Meureii, Lady Lylia, Granthem who is lying down

Lylia pulls Granthem to his feet.

Granthem falls over.

[several asking Granthem to wake up]

>look gran

You see Granthem.

He appears to be a Human.

He is taller than average. He appears to be in the prime of life. He has imperious deep sea blue eyes and pale skin. He has short, sleek raven-hued hair. He has a smooth face and a thin nose.

He is in good shape.

He is wearing a tanned leather cloak, a torn leather backpack, a collarless silk linen shirt, a scabbard, a pair of high-waisted dark twill pants with tapered cuffs, and some tall chestnut suede boots.

Granthem blinks.

Granthem blinks.

Granthem sits up.

Granthem says, "Whe..."

Granthem says, "Hello."

Speaking hesitantly to Granthem, Cruxophim ventures, "Are you alright? Still blacking out?"

Granthem stands up.

Granthem says, "Sorry, I..."

Granthem gazes in wonder at his surroundings.

Granthem says, "This is embarassing."

Speaking concernedly to Granthem, you inquire, "Are you doing well after Alendrial was selected over you?"

Granthem nods to you.

You grin at Granthem.

Granthem says, "I suspected I would not win, but we must try nonetheless."

Speaking gently to Granthem, Cruxophim wonders, "Did you find solace in a bottom of a bottle?"

Speaking to Granthem, Goldstr asks, "Yer memory better dese days?"

Granthem says, "I am not drunk, no."

Granthem says, "I don't know." [at least as best I could tell, this was in response to Goldstr]

Cryheart asks, "So, why were ye sleeping?"

Granthem says, "I was sleeping earlier."

Dannore asks, "Where did you lay down to sleep?"

Granthem says, "In my bed. Not here, certainly."

Granthem frowns.

Stormyrain asks, "Have you been losing time a lot lately?"

Granthem frowns at Stormyrain.

Granthem nods.

Speaking quietly to Granthem, Pukk asks, "Have you been feeling the need to stab somebody lately? Certain playwrights for example?"

Granthem peers quizzically at Pukk.

Granthem says, "No."

Granthem says, "It's happened more often lately."

Granthem says, "Perhaps I just need to, believe it or not, rest more."

Granthem says, "Working and preparing myself for the council spot I did not get, well, it was stressful for sure."

Speaking to Granthem, Stormyrain asks, "Do you have vivid dreams as of late, too?"

Speaking pointedly to Granthem, Lylia says, "Perhaps you should rest somewhere other than the street."

Granthem says, "No dreams."

Cryheart says, "I would suggest changing your routine."

Granthem peers quizzically at Cryheart.

You suggest, "Could always buy a couple of extra locks for your door so you don't sleepwalk out of your room, if that's what's going on."

Cryheart says, "Of when ye go to sleep."

Cryheart nods at Granthem.

Granthem says, "That is a good idea."

Granthem nods to you.

Speaking to Granthem, Puptilian says, "We are getting closer to spring. As I travel back and forth from here to Talador I could us help in the gardens at Imaera's Shrine. Maybe some quiet work there can help you find some peace and meaningful work."

Speaking to Granthem, Shinann asks, "Anything unusual in your pack?"

Granthem says, "Maybe. I would consider that, perhaps."

Granthem nods at Puptilian.

Granthem peers quizzically at Shinann.

Granthem says, "A pure potion, some formal dark green shoes, and a tan mithril shield."

Granthem shrugs.

Shinann nods at Granthem.

Cryheart asks, "Did ye undress afore ye went to sleep, Granthem?"

Granthem glances at Cryheart.

Cryheart says, "Seems odd you wold be wearing boots if ye went to sleep."

Granthem says, "...that is a little awkward."

You concernedly interject, "These questions are getting pretty personal."

You furrow your brow, probably adding a wrinkle or two in the process.

Stormyrain adopts an agreeable expression.

Cruxophim laughs softly, trying to hide his amusement from Cryheart.

Cryheart says, "Ye are wearing boots now."

Cruxophim bursts out in loud, raucous laughter.

Cryheart nods at Granthem.

You nod grimly at Granthem.

Irar scowls.

Speaking to Cryheart, Kipa asks, "So he could end up here sleeping in the buff?"

Arnylon says, "It is cold. Boots are good when it's cold."

Granthem says, "Thank you everyone. I'm going to return home. I appreciate the sound advice."

Speaking to Granthem, Shinann asks, "Where are you staying now?"

Granthem says, "Phoenix still."

Nehor snidely notes, "What a lout! He smelled foul."

Nehor shakes his head, clucking his tongue.

Granthem glances at Nehor.

Speaking to Granthem, Thrassus says, "Perhaps try tying your ankle to something so you don't sleepwalk as far."

Speaking to Granthem, Goldstr asks, "Ye still workin da docks?"

Granthem nods at Goldstr.

Speaking to Granthem, Evia says, "Perhaps lock yourself in down below...you know where I mean, Gaq's place."

Cryheart says, "Or hae someone else lock him in."

Granthem glances at Nehor.

Speaking to Cruxophim, Evia says, "It is a dungeon, in a cavern. Dungeon of sorts."

Granthem bows.

Speaking jokingly to Granthem, Cruxophim suggests, "Could visit Obsidian Tower, I'm sure they'd be happy to lock you."

Granthem shakes his head.

Granthem smirks.

Granthem waves.

Granthem just went north.


Continued Threats?

[discussion goes on for quite some time, then eventually...]

For the briefest of moments, tiny whorls of mist appear behind Xorus.

Xorus tilts his head slightly and stares straight ahead as he murmurs softly under his breath...

Xorus gestures.

A wall of force surrounds Xorus.

For the briefest of moments, tiny whorls of mist appear behind Deckits.

Deckits winces.

A thick, shadowy mist pours out of Deckits's mouth as he prepares a spell...

Deckits gestures.

A wall of force surrounds Deckits.

Deckits says, "Whispering in my ear apparition, you.. will face justice."

Speaking to Shinann, Deckits says, "It apparently believes I am guilty of somthing."

Deckits says, "Being a Faendryl, no doubt."

Deckits grumbles.

For the briefest of moments, tiny whorls of mist appear behind Marijka.

[And thus begin hours of discussion and speculation about why these three, if they're even real targets or just decoys, why them instead of others, can he be baited, etc.]