Citizenship can be achieved in many of the cities and towns found in Elanthia. In some cities, citizenship is limited by race. This limitation may either exclude certain races, or it may offer partial citizenship to others. Citizenship and partial citizenship bring various benefits to those who maintain them in the city or town. Using the command CITIZEN, a player can view their character's current citizenship status.
Citizenship is earned by accumulating citizenship points. These points are gathered by performing certain actions in a town, including interacting with town NPCs, using town shops, or using other town services. A ranking system is in place to allow players to check how close to citizenship they are in a town. This is done by going to the town's citizenship clerk and then asking the clerk about STATUS. If the player is eligible, ask about CITIZENSHIP and the clerk will indicate so. To then proceed on to becoming a citizen, you must ask about REGISTER and the clerk will direct you to WRITE your name in a book. This will grant you citizenship or partial citizenship, depending on your race. It should be noted that if a character's race makes them ineligible for citizenship, it will not be mentioned when asking about STATUS, so keep in mind which towns allow what races citizenship.
It is possible to earn citizenship points in multiple cities at one time. It is even possible to reach citizenship eligibility in multiple cities, but once you have achieved citizenship in one city, you cannot have it in another unless you give up citizenship in the first. This can be done by CLEANing the book in the citizenship office.
The eligibility tiers are as follows:
- Tier 1: You've started on the path to citizenship, <character name>.
- Tier 2: Ahhh, <character name>, you're progressing nicely towards citizenship.
- Tier 3: <character name>, you certainly are gaining a lot of recognition around town lately.
- Tier 4: Greetings, <character name>. How is life treating you today?
Shortly after achieving the fourth tier, citizenship will become available if the character's race is allowed in the town.
Citizenship brings with it various benefits. Some of these are city specific, some of them apply to all of the cities.
Citizenship Benefits include:
- A beneficial bonus in the merchant system, including better prices for sold goods, and cheaper prices for bought goods.
- Bank note exchanges provide benefits to citizens.
- Player shops may be purchased in a city by its citizens.
- Zul Logoth citizens recieve a discount on the price of cart rides.
- Citizens of Icemule Trace do not have to pay to use the various gates.
- Citizens of Wehnimer's Landing do not have to pay to use the west gate.
City Specific Citizenship
As stated earlier, some cities offer citizenship to only certain races, with partial citizenship being allowed for others. Some smaller towns do not even offer citizenship.
Racial Restrictions for Various Cities:
- Wehnimer's Landing - No Restrictions
- Solhaven - No Restrictions
- Icemule Trace - No Restrictions
- River's Rest - No Restrictions
- Teras Isle - No Restrictions
- Zul Logoth - Dwarf Only
- Ta'Illistim - Elf and Aelotoi, Sylvankind and Dwarf allowed partial
- Ta'Vaalor - Elf and Aelotoi, Sylvankind and Dwarf allowed partial
- Cysaegir - Aelotoi
- Isle of Four Winds - No Restrictions