Elemental Confluence/saved posts
A new set of hunting areas have been released: the Elemental Confluence!
This set of level 95 hunting grounds is populated with elementals of various types and combinations. Portions of the Confluence are accessible through numerous elemental instabilities created by the collision of Elanthia and the demiplane. Each of these protrusions toward Elanthia is seperately accessible from each major town and are considered a separate (local) hunting ground.
In order to pass from Elanthia and into this demiplane, one must trap elemental souls and then use them to draw oneself through an elemental instability. The soulstones provided by Alusius are used to perform this function (simply wear them and kill elementals in order to automatically trap their souls). To enter, simply push a soulstone with enough soul power (10 powerful elemental souls, or a greater number of lesser ones) into an elemental instability. If you are of sufficient power (minimum level 80), you will be transported to the Confluence.
Each point of elemental instability is keyed to a particular elemental attunement and flows randomly through the local area. Elementally ATTUNEd folk (of any profession) are able to sense the presence and location of nearby points of elemental instability with the ATTUNE SENSE command. Being ATTUNEd also provides a degree of protection from various environmental elemental Confluence hazards.
I'd like to thank GMs Kenstrom, Liia, Vanah, Keios, Auchand, Retser, Galene, Estild, Finros, Lydil, Qortaz, and any others whom I may be forgetting for their help on this project!
Update 1 (4/2015)
The following Confluence updates are now live:
- Bounty tasks have been enabled for the Confluence in all towns. In order for the Confluence to be selected as a valid hunting ground for bounty task assignment, you must be wearing an elemental soulstone.
- The dispel-on-miss threshold has been raised, so that elementals will need to miss by a greater margin before they begin dispelling spells.
- The stone touch creature maneuver has been toned down to not last nearly as long as it was, as well as being somewhat easier to dodge.
- Mystic Impedance durations have been reduced from 3 minutes to 30 seconds.
- Room movement RT has been lessened somewhat. It should be noted that RT can be reduced (or even removed altogether) through skill training. Survival is primary, Climbing is secondary. Possessing high Agility and Intuition scores also helps.
Other updates will be forthcoming as they are completed.
Update 2 (4/2015)
The following updates have been made to the Elemental Confluence hunting ground:
- The former strict restrictions on teleportation/location magic within the Confluence have been relaxed: You can now use location magic to view other players within the same portion of the Confluence as yourself, and the Confluence now has a special "out-of-realm" vision in Locate Person (116) to better allow pin-pointing where exactly someone is. You can now use teleport magic within the Confluence though, if you are not attuned, there is a chance for an elemental backlash to cause damage and disrupt the teleportation attempt. Further, general return magic (like Spirit Guide (130), Symbol of Return, etc) will attempt to return you to within a room or two of a point of elemental tranquility.
- Confluence portals will be much less likely to spawn on the trails between towns and will not intermingle Confluence portals from different towns in the same area. This should greatly reduce/eliminate the issue where someone could enter a portal near Icemule and, upon exit, find themselves close to Solhaven. It will take a few days for the portals to fully adjust to this new spawn scheme.
- The breath weapon maneuver attack of the air elementals has been adjusted to not inflict RT even if the maneuver is successfully resisted. Cold damage now slows down air elementals temporarily.
- Earth elementals should no longer be falling on players when they are already prone.
The previously mentioned treasure and UCS updates are still pending.
Update 3 (2/2016)
The following adjustments have been made to the Elemental Confluence hunting ground:
- All the elementals in the Confluence now randomly drop a new form of treasure: plinite. Plinite is the solidified energy (or "heartstone") of the elemental. It can be sold to the gemshop as is, or one can attempt to manually extract the plinite's elemental power core. Careful extraction is done via the EXTRACT verb and requires a lockpick and training in both the Picking Locks and Disarming Traps skills. If successful, the core is extracted and the plinite casing preserved for sale to the gemshop.
- One can also use brute force to pry open the plinite via the OPEN verb. Doing so automatically destroys the plinite casing but allows the core to be recovered without a skill check. Prying open the plinite casing while still in the Confluence is dangerous however, as the surrounding environment will amplify the released energy from the shattered plinite.
- The recovered cores are mostly relatively valuable gems, but some contain unusual magical effects based upon their appearance (all activated via the RAISE verb). Possible effects include the ability to quickly leave the Confluence, the ability to be immediately drawn to your nearby attuned entry portal to the Confluence, enhanced protection from the innate dispel attack of the elementals, enhanced protection from elemental damage, temporary reactive elemental flares, temporary enhancive boosts, and more!
- The creatures in the "hot side" of the Confluence (lava, fire, steam, and lightning elementals) have been adjusted upwardly in level (with updated statistics to match):
- Fire Elementals - Level 99
- Lightning Elementals - Level 100
- Lava Elementals - Level 100
- Steam Elementals - Level 99
- A significant bug was detected that was causing all the elemental's TDs (particularly spirit ones) to be extremely low. This is has been corrected. While the creature TDs are still lower than average, they are no longer dozens of levels lower than they should be.