The Rone Resurgence - 5118-09-25 - Rooks and Pawns

The official GemStone IV encyclopedia.
Jump to: navigation, search

Imaerasta 25-26, 5118

by Leafiara Autumnwind of the TownCrier


Summary

Short Breakdown

Adventurers successfully protect Prax's wagon shipment from Rooks, amidst casualties, but they're empty of cargo--all a diversion by Prax, not having told the militia captains, marshal, or mayor about the plan, to lure the Rooks while instead delivering pylons and constructs to the docks.

Long Breakdown

  • Militiamen report that Prax's wagons are en route to the Upper Trollfang and Captain Shinann orders a few guards to come with the escort while the rest remain to inspect the wagons when they arrive. However, after Sir Cryheart leads a group toward the Upper Trollfang, the wagons are seen plated with mithril and guarded by armored mercenaries and Rooks are spotted moving along the rooftops--and Shinann sends the militiamen back.
  • As the wagons approach, arrows begin to fly from the shadows and soon so too do the Rooks--and their explosive crimson orbs. Heavy combat and casualties ensue and adventurers defend the wagons throughout the night in multiple spots along the trail, eventually having to put out fires started up to block passage. After the wagons reach the Lower Dragonsclaw grasslands, Bourthian soldiers from the outpost rain arrows down on the Rooks and the wagons successfully make it to the North Gate.
  • Thadston arrives to inspect the wagons. The mercenaries agree and Thadston crushes the lock on the wagon with his kroderine gauntlet, then militiamen inspect the crates to find... that they're empty.
  • Sounds are heard at the north dock and everyone heads over to inspect, finding armored men and metal constructs unloading pylons from ships. Dergoatean asks Thadston if he's okay with this; he says no and Goat asks if they should stop the unloading. But just then Prax arrives and says it's too late to stop it now and that he has permission. Shinann asks who he has permission from; Mayor Lylia says he's once again failed to warn her. Thadston punches him in the face, busting his nose and knocking him unconscious, then marches off after saying that if he pulls a stunt like this again he'll tie him to a pylon and fire it. Just as Prax is recovering, Nazarr kicks him in the side.
  • As Prax slowly regains his senses, he explains that a distraction was necessary because of the Rooks' activities and allies, saying some are likely standing there in the crowd. Shinann, Elphieya, and others challenge him using the town to die for him, but he says he asked for willing volunteers. Shinann says his justifications don't excuse not telling the mayor or marshal his plans, but he says he chose not to tarnish them--or the captains--by including them in this, leaving only his own actions disliked.
  • Shinann says the constructs cannot be unloaded and Prax says that they won't until he's ready to have them loaded onto the new pylon ships, and their movement can be monitored by the captains if they choose; she says they will and he says "Because I choose so."
  • Chamorr and Roblar among others ask who the pylons are for. Prax says some will be for anyone to man and use, but the ones powered by plinite will need the constructs since people would melt handling them.
  • Prax says he hopes he'll be forgiven come the Eve of the Huntress and the trip to the Bleaklands.


Highlights

Speaking to Cryheart, Stormyrain asks, "What are we guarding here?"
Speaking to Cryheart, Stormyrain asks, "That [wagon] is better protected than the Earl himself?"
One of the mercenaries looks down, "Landing folk?"
Shinann asks, "If we were not.. how would you prove that?"
Lylia dryly says, "Well, if the mint would hurry up and put my face on all the coinage, that would do it."
Speaking softly to Leafiara, Jhenni asks, "Empty?"
Speaking perplexedly to Jhenni, Leafiara affirms, "Empty."
Speaking softly to Leafiara, Jhenni asks, "Like imperial promises?"
Speaking coolly to Praxopius, Lylia says, "Once again, you have failed to warn me. I do hope you do not make a habit of it."
Speaking to herself, Katiesa murmurs, "How many times make a habit? Three?"
Claudaro says, "At this rate, [Praxopius] can run to be our next Mayor, he talks in circles without saying anything like the best of 'em."

Log

Wagons' Approach

[Town Square Central]

This is the heart of the main square of Wehnimer's Landing. The impromptu shops of the bazaar are clustered around this central gathering place, where townsfolk, travellers, and adventurers meet to talk, conspire or raise expeditions to the far-flung reaches of Elanith. At the north end, an old well, with moss-covered stones and a craggy roof, is shaded from the moonlight by a strong, robust tree. The oak is tall and straight, and it is apparent that the roots run deep. You also see an herbal remedy donation bin and some stone benches with some stuff on it.

A Wehnimer's town militiaman charges in!

A militiaman salutes Stormyrain and Shinann.

Stormyrain gives a sidelong glance at a Wehnimer's town militiaman.

Stormyrain turns toward the town militiaman and renders a sharp hand salute.

Speaking to a Wehnimer's town militiaman, Stormyrain asks, "What is the news?"

The militiaman says, "We've received word from our scouts that the wagons Praxopius mentioned are en route, and should enter the Upper Trollfang near Danirland shortly."

Stormyrain nods faintly.

Stormyrain says, "Thank you."

Shinann nods to the town militiaman.

The militiaman says, "Awaiting orders. Are we to move out to escort Captains? Or stand down?"

Stormyrain gives a sidelong glance at Shinann.

Stormyrain whispers something to Shinann.

The militiaman says, "Awaiting orders. Are we to move out to escort Captains? Or stand down?"

Speaking to a Wehnimer's town militiaman, Stormyrain exclaims, "Patience!"

Speaking to a Wehnimer's town militiaman, Shinann says, "Send a few guards with us and the rest stay here to wait on them to inspect the wagons when they get here."

Cryheart asks, "Shall we head southward then?"

Lylia nods at Cryheart.

Cryheart says, "Ok..moving out."

Speaking to Cryheart, Lylia says, "Yes, if you would be so kind as to lead."

[Sir Cryheart leads southward and the group doesn't spot anything obvious in its wanderings, so eventually settles at...]

[Upper Trollfang]

The stream meanders considerably here but runs in a general southwest to northeast direction. At a particularly narrow stretch, you notice a stone bridge crosses to the opposite bank.

Through the rain and flashing lightning, the forms of covered wagons can be seen approaching the Upper Trollfang from the south, even though some scouts said the east, they must have been wrong, as the wagons seem to approach the stone bridge of Upper Trollfang.

Some dark hooded figures race along the rooftops of some buildings in Wehnimer's Landing.

Shinann frowns.

Shinann glances at Stormyrain.

Stormyrain slowly empties her lungs.

Stormyrain glances south.

Shinann says, "I am going back to town..."

Shinann says, "I think."

Shinann nods.

Speaking thoughtfully to Shinann, Leafiara inquires, "Need any help?"

Shinann says, "Not sure."

Shinann says, "I am worried about those rooftops... but we are close."

Shinann glances around the area.

Speaking to Shinann, Stormyrain says, "I assume they are going to destroy the wagons, or attempt to."

Stormyrain shrugs at Shinann.

Illuminated briefly by flashes of lightning in the sky, the shape of five wagons comes closer into view, slowly moving up north into the Upper Trollfang, nearing the old stone bridge. The wagons are covered, and layered with protective metal plates. Armored mercenaries are perched at the front of the wagons, hands on crossbows and sword hilts as they scan the horizon.

Stormyrain narrows her eyes.

Shinann says, "We are close and they look pretty well guarded."

Shinann frowns.

A snap of a twig can be heard nearby.


Militia Mishaps

A Wehnimer's town militiaman charges in!

[...and quickly gets caught in the crossfire of the escort group repelling forest trolls.]

A gnarled arm quickly snatches at a Wehnimer's town militiaman, dragging him down before retreating into the ground!

Shinann ponders.

A clawed arm flails briefly before decaying into dust.

A burnt arm flails briefly before decaying into dust.

A gnarled arm flails briefly before decaying into dust.

Lylia coughs.

A Wehnimer's town militiaman just arrived!

A Wehnimer's town militiaman just arrived!

>look

[Upper Trollfang]

You are on the southern bank of a wide, slow moving stream. Spanning the water is a stone bridge that arcs gracefully to the northern shore. You also see a Wehnimer's town militiaman, a Wehnimer's town militiaman, a Wehnimer's town militiaman, a forest troll that is lying down, a forest troll that is lying down, a twisted wand, a flail, some full leather, a troll hide, a severed troll leg, an angular fire wyrdling, the Zosopage disk, the Laralana disk, the seaweed-covered Pietra disk, the Lauranathalasa disk, the palm frond-shaped Leafiara disk, a puckish spring spirit that is flying around, a massive midnight black panther, a wretched forest spirit that is flying around, a tiny forest mouse and a soft-pawed ocelot.

Stormyrain gives a sidelong glance at Shinann.

Speaking to a Wehnimer's town militiaman, Lylia says, "Apologies."

As Chaoswynd murmurs his spell into the air, ghostlike leaves appear and swirl about him, encompassing his body in a cloak of muted autumn hues. He subtly gestures upwards, causing the foliage to unfurl about him, scattering off into the unknown...

Chaoswynd gestures at a forest troll.

A faint buzzing sound begins then grows louder as a small dark cloud forms and begins to move about wildly!

The bumblebees continue to pin the forest troll to the ground.

The bumblebees drive heedlessly toward a forest troll, the insects slipping through its defenses to inflict painful bites!

The bumblebees continue to pin the forest troll to the ground.

A forest troll stands up with a grunt.

Shinann nods at Stormyrain.

Hapenlok attempts to kick a forest troll!

UAF: 144 vs UDF: 99 = 1.454 * MM: 88 + d100: 23 = 151

... and hit for 50 points of damage!

Wheel kick connects with the left leg, tearing into tendons and muscle.

The forest troll is knocked to the ground!

The forest troll is stunned!

A forest troll looks suddenly distressed!

The bumblebees assault the forest troll from all sides, their droning creating a noisy distraction.

Stormyrain whispers something to Shinann.

Dirra whispers a mystical phrase, as pearlescent energy builds around her hands, casting them in an opalescent silhouette.

Dirra gestures at a forest troll.

Dirra concentrates intently on a forest troll, and a pulse of pearlescent energy ripples toward it!

CS: +400 - TD: +36 + CvA: +19 + d100: +41 == +424

Warding failed!

The forest troll shudders with severe convulsions as pearlescent ripples envelop its body.

The forest troll is crushed for 50 points of damage!

The forest troll screams one last time and dies.

The bumblebees attack the town militiaman savagely, covering it with venomous bites!

Stormyrain gives a sidelong glance at Chaoswynd.

Chaoswynd gives a sidelong glance at Stormyrain.

Speaking to Chaoswynd, Stormyrain asks, "Call off your swarm yes?"

Cryheart asks, "Ok...why are bumblebeees attacking the militia?"

Lauranathalasa says, "The militiaman needs help."

As Chaoswynd murmurs his spell into the air, ghostlike leaves appear and swirl about him, encompassing his body in a cloak of muted autumn hues. He subtly gestures upwards, causing the foliage to unfurl about him, scattering off into the unknown...

Chaoswynd gestures.

A strong breeze suddenly picks up and begins to blow around in different directions through the area!

A twisted wand is suddenly picked up by the wind and blown southeast!

A Wehnimer's town militiaman struggles momentarily with the gale.

Stormyrain can offer Chaoswynd only a blank expression.

A militiaman screams and swats at the air, "I'm allergic!" He runs away from the bumblebees.

A Wehnimer's town militiaman struggles momentarily with the gale.

A Wehnimer's town militiaman struggles momentarily with the gale.

Speaking to Stormyrain, Chaoswynd says, "Once summoned, can't really do much else except blow them away."

Chaoswynd shrugs at Stormyrain.

A strong breeze continues to swirl through the area.

A Wehnimer's town militiaman struggles momentarily with the gale.

A Wehnimer's town militiaman struggles momentarily with the gale.

Speaking to Chaoswynd, Stormyrain says, "..and now my men are blowing about like leaves."

Stormyrain sighs slightly and rubs her temples.

Shinann recites:

"Militia, go back to town and stand guard there."

Speaking to Stormyrain, Chaoswynd asks, "It will pass soon?"

Shinann nods to the town militiaman.

The two militiaman salute and head off towards town.

Speaking to herself, Stormyrain murmurs, "Next time we get any type of extra funds, they're all going into chainmail at least. Or plate. Plate might be better."


Mithril Plating

A wagon comes into view.

[Upper Trollfang]

You are on the southern bank of a wide, slow moving stream. Spanning the water is a stone bridge that arcs gracefully to the northern shore. You also see an imperial mithril-plated wagon, a forest troll that is sleeping, a dagger, an angular fire wyrdling, some full leather, a forest troll that is sleeping, a flail, some full leather, a severed troll leg, the Zosopage disk, the Laralana disk, the seaweed-covered Pietra disk, the Lauranathalasa disk, the palm frond-shaped Leafiara disk, a puckish spring spirit that is flying around, a massive midnight black panther, a wretched forest spirit that is flying around, a tiny forest mouse and a soft-pawed ocelot.

Shinann says, "There is something very wrong here."

Telum points at Kittai.

Telum says, "It's her."

Telum nods at Shinann.

Speaking offhandedly to Shinann, Leafiara says, "Ya don't say."

Cryheart says, "Ok..let us follow the wagon."

Speaking to Cryheart, Stormyrain asks, "What are we guarding here?"

Cryheart says, "Nae sure."

Cryheart says, "Ye tell me."

Speaking to Cryheart, Stormyrain asks, "That is better protected than the Earl himself?"

Speaking to an imperial mithril-plated wagon, Hapenlok says, "Mithril. Very clever."

Leafiara remarks, "Solid mithril. Definitely needs our help."

Shinann: "Praxopius, these wagons are guarded... I expect an answer."

Hapenlok says, "No prying eyes."

Cryheart says, "Ok..we shall follow the wagon."

Xorus says, "Pricey."

Telum exclaims, "To glory!"

Lylia nods at Xorus.

Speaking to an imperial mithril-plated wagon, Stormyrain asks, "Oy, anyone in there?"

Lylia says, "I was thinking the same."

Speaking to Telum, Zosopage says, "Or to gory."


Rook Attack

One of the mercenaries looks down, "Landing folk?"

Telum exclaims, "Gory glory!"

Stormyrain says, "Indeed."

Xorus says, "Best not leave them in Shantytown overnight."

Nazarr says, "Yes."

Lylia says, "Yes."

Roelaren says, "Aye."

Cryheart says, "Aye."

Hapenlok says, "Most of us. Yep."

Claudaro says, "Icemule."

Cryheart says, "For the most part."

Shinann asks, "If we were not.. how would you prove that?"

Cryheart says, "And Mule."

Falvicar quietly says, "Mule."

Dergoatean says, "And the occasional troll."

Dirra says, "Friend from Haven."

Hapenlok says, "Some of us hail from Mule, Vornavis, Chastonia. I could go on..."

Lylia dryly says, "Well, if the mint would hurry up and put my face on all the coinage, that would do it."

Shinann says, "I mean... seriously."

The mercenary nods, "Ah, good. We'll follow you to town. Heard there's bound to be some tr..." Suddenly a black arrow flies out of the shadows, and takes the mercenary in the throat! He chokes on his last word, and his blood.

Cryheart says, "Errr."

A sleek black arrow comes flying out of the shadows and strikes Roblar!

A suit of black rolaren plate armor partially deflects the onslaught of the puncture attack.

... 25 points of damage!

Neck skewered, sliding past the throat and spine! That looks painful.

He is stunned!

Chaoswynd slowly says, "Well, that didn't take long."

Cryheart says, "Ok..we lead then."

Cryheart says, "Hold the noise folks."

Speaking absently to Chaoswynd, Leafiara agrees, "Indeed."

A sleek black arrow comes flying out of the shadows and strikes Hapenlok!

... 25 points of damage!

Shot knocks Hapenlok's head back by pushing on the inside of the skull!

Hapenlok drops dead at your feet!

A sleek black arrow comes flying out of the shadows and strikes Chaoswynd!

... 25 points of damage!

Shot knocks Chaoswynd's head back by pushing on the inside of the skull!

Chaoswynd drops dead at your feet!

Telum says, "Uh oh."

A sleek black arrow comes flying out of the shadows and strikes Zosopage!

... 12 points of damage!

Attack punctures the eye and connects with something really vital!

Zosopage drops dead at your feet!

Cryheart says, "Cover."

A grey-beaked dark hooded figure ambles in.

A grey-beaked dark hooded figure just arrived!

A grey-beaked dark hooded figure ambles in.

[Combat ensues, but in the midst of it...]

A small crimson glass orb rolls in from the shadows.

Leafiara slips her white ora slasher into one of the weapon loops sewn inside of her red silk cape.

Leafiara picks up a shaking crimson glass orb.

The crimson glass orb Leafiara is holding hisses loudly and flares brightly!

>stow orb

That isn't a good idea considering that the crimson glass orb is shaking violently!

Maiden Leafiara just went across a stone bridge.

Leafiara just bit the dust!

[Combat continues for several minutes as dozens of Rooks and local bandits appear from the shadows and engage the escort group, with mass casualties on all sides. Eventually things slowly clear up...]

The imperial mithril-plated wagons continue to move across the stone bridge, but their formation is broken up, and they move slowly through Upper Trollfang, but are now spread out on the other side of the bridge.

Hooded figures move hurriedly among the dark woods of the Upper Trollfang, groups seeming to split up and move towards the five different wagon locations.

[...but that's short-lived. Groups split up to cover the five wagons and skirmishes resume, as does bombing...]

A small crimson glass orb rolls in from the shadows.

A small crimson glass orb rolls in from the shadows.

An angular fire wyrdling picks up a shaking crimson glass orb.

A brilliant crimson light shines out of the crimson glass orb.

A brilliant crimson light shines out of the crimson glass orb.

Leafiara picks up a shaking crimson glass orb.

Maiden Leafiara just went east.

Lauranathalasa just bit the dust!

Leafiara just bit the dust!

[OOC: After this point it was a while before I could get back to the front lines--and even when I did, the "front lines" were now in five locations--so hopefully the messaging I saw was all that anyone saw. I assume it was just continued battle and mass death.]

The wagons begin to move further north into the Upper Trollfang, slowly heading closer to town, but still a good distance away.

The imperial wagons move further north through the Upper Trollfang, nearing where the Trollfang ends near the Lower Dragonsclaw and Grasslands.

[Eventually the situation changes...]

Suddenly, there is some flashes of orange light in the woods near where the Trollfang meets Dragonsclaw, and with a loud roar a wall of flames erupts, with fiery tendrils licking the sky and quickly spreading outwards, cutting off the wagons route beyond Trollfang.

Flames continue to burn high and wide near the northwest end of the Upper Trollfang, completely halting the wagons' movements.

[...and firefighting brigades are needed.]

[Upper Trollfang]

You are standing at the northern edge of a hilly and deeply forested region known as the Upper Trollfang. A wide and well used trail cuts through the deep underbrush to the south and appears to be the only visible entrance to the forest. You also see a crackling fire, a crackling fire, a crackling fire, a crackling fire and a path leading north.

[Eventually everyone extinguishes the fires.]

With the fires out, and clouds of smoke now rising up from the woods, the imperial wagons begin to move onward into the grasslands.

Some Wehnimer's Landing militiamen begin to gather outside of the north gate, waiting for the wagons to approach.

[Amidst continued skirmishes with Rooks and bandits...]

Bourthian soldiers line up along the ramparts of the Hendoran Outpost, and with their elegant curved bows, they fire! Arrows arc down and strike true, dropping dark hooded figures as they move about the forest.

Under the protection of the adventurers in the grasslands, and the Bourthian archers on the walls of the Outpost, the imperial wagons press on, moving north through the grasslands towards the North Gate.


Arrival

The last of the imperial wagons comes to a stop outide of the North Gate, as the Wehnimer's Landing militia stand before the gate, blocking their further passage.

[Wehnimer's, Outside Gate]

Citizens, merchants and assorted dregs of society jostle against you before the great wooden gates of Wehnimer's Landing. Harried guards and militiamen try to keep the chaos to a minimum, but it is hard to keep track of those entering, let alone leaving, this large trading post. A dirt path encircling the wooden palisade of the town leads east and southwest. Nailed prominently to the wooden wall beside the gate is a sign you really should read. You also see an imperial mithril-plated wagon, a soft-pawed ocelot, an imperial mithril-plated wagon, an imperial mithril-plated wagon, an imperial mithril-plated wagon, an imperial mithril-plated wagon, a rolton, a Wehnimer's town militiaman, a Wehnimer's town militiaman, a Wehnimer's town militiaman, a Wehnimer's town militiaman, a Wehnimer's town militiaman, a Wehnimer's town militiaman, the Wayside inn and a reinforced wooden defense tower.

Roblar deeply says, "Ok, now search 'em."

Cryheart says, "Finally."

Shinann asks, "All right... who is in charge of these wagons?"

Roblar deeply says, "See what cost lives."

Chamorr heartily says, "Good job."

Shinann recites:

"Who is in charge of these wagons?"

Leafiara offhandedly says, "And now for the ultimate question... if these wagons were worth protecting in the first place."

Chamorr heartily says, "I hope there's scotch in these wagons."

Roblar deeply says, "Dat wud be worth a life or two."

Leafiara lightly agrees, "You would."

Lord Thadston just marched stiffly through some reinforced wooden gates.

Speaking to Chamorr, Laralana says, "Me too."

Roblar deeply says, "Others."

Cryheart says, "Hello Lord Thadston."

Hapenlok says, "I have a theory about these wagons."

Thadston glares.

Speaking heartily to Thadston, Chamorr says, "Howdy."

Zosopage says, "Gotta thank them Bourthian archers."

Hapenlok says, "I might be slightly wrong."

Cryheart says, "We took some losses guarding those wagons."

The sound of hammers and construction ring out throughout the night at the north docks as ships enter and leave port.

Thadston says, "So.."

Azimar raspily says, "Yeah... dat was a bit painful there."

Thadston says, "These are the wagons the cripple sent."

Leafiara says, "A bit rude, but... yes."

Gryzzlbok asks, "Wow we can hear the hammers from here?"

Thadston nods at Lylia.

Thrassus says, "Mithril plated wagons, completely normal."

Thadston looks to the mercenaries on the wagons.

Thadston says, "You won't be proceeding, until we inspect these wagons."

Thadston asks, "Any issues, mercs?"

One of the mercenaries shakes his head.

Thadston glances at Shinann.

Thadston says, "Captain."

Thadston points at an imperial mithril-plated wagon.

Beldannon softly says, "I hope it's ale or mead."

Hapenlok says, "...wait for it..."

Beldannon softly says, "Or fishing stuff."

Shinann recites:

"Guards, search the wagons."

The militiamen look at the locked doors and shrug.

Chaoswynd mutters, "Absent-mindedness, pay it no mind."

Claudaro exclaims, "Get Larton out here!"

Xorus says, "Mithril."

Zosopage exclaims, "Locksmith!"

Cryheart says, "I can break those locks perhaps."

Shinann says, "That is what I was looking at and calling Praxopius about."

Shinann says, "Trying to."

Thadston grumbles.

Thadston moves over to the lock on a wagon.

Thrassus asks, "Anyone an expert with locks?"

Clairette raises her hand.

Speaking to Thadston, Raelee says, "If you do not want to accept them, I will."

Elphieya points at Clairette.

Gylmour points at Clairette.

Laralana points at Clairette.

Lylia says, "Not ones reinforced with mithril, no."

Thadston grabs the lock with his kroderine gauntlet, then with a grunt, pulls. The lock is crushed in the kroderine grip.

Clairette scoffs at Thadston.

Thadston says, "There."

Speaking to Pietra, Laralana asks, "You don't like locks anymore, eh?"

Thrassus says, "That will work."

Speaking encouragingly to Clairette, Elphieya says, "You can do it, I'm sure."

Lylia says, "...or that works."

Leafiara amusedly says, "Well, that... works."

Speaking to Laralana, Pietra says, "I'm not an expert."

Zosopage says, "One way to do it."

Speaking to Laralana, Pietra says, "I'm real good at fighting."

Roblar deeply says, "Da best way."

Claudaro says, "Hopefully, it doesn't need to be resecured..."

Madmountan says, "That was pretty neat, I'll admit that."

Speaking to Thadston, Chaoswynd absently murmurs, "Should teach a class at the rogue's guild, I'm sure they'd love to learn that trick..."

Beldannon softly says, "Get a new lock easy enough."

The militiamen move inside the first wagon, and arrive carrying a few chests, placing them on the ground. One by one, the militia open the chests, to find them empty.

Lauranathalasa says, "I still think Holtum is stronger."

Clairette says, "I could've done that too, you know."

Thadston squints.

Clairette removes a superior wooden wedge from in her leather longcoat.

Hapenlok murmurs, "I love being right."

Elphieya softly asks, "Empty?"

Shinann asks, "What?"

Cryheart says, "A deception."

Zosopage asks, "What?"

Dergoatean says, "Fine use of resources this was."

Roblar deeply says, "Go to da docks."

Claudaro asks, "Decoy wagons?"

Gylmour says, "Is this a trick."

Chamorr heartily says, "Empty."

Elphieya softly asks, "So those deaths....all this...a diversion?"

Roblar deeply says, "Activity by da water."

Claudaro asks, "Check the others?"

Speaking softly to Leafiara, Jhenni asks, "Empty?"

Roblar deeply says, "Open em alls."

Speaking perplexedly to Jhenni, Leafiara affirms, "Empty."

Azimar raspily asks, "Nothing at all ?"

Zosopage says, "There was a lot of noise coming from the docks a little earlier."

Claudaro says, "Or give up."

Elphieya softly exclaims, "It's a diversion, the real action is somewhere else!"

Madmountan says, "Yep, all just a decoy."

Leafiara says, "Unless... the goods are invisible in there."

Fuaru says, "Does not seem right."

Roelaren says, "What."

Claudaro says, "That was one wagon."

Speaking softly to Leafiara, Jhenni asks, "Like imperial promises?"

Shinann: "Praxopius, you going to claim you were asleep?"

Claudaro says, "I see several others."

Waq asks, "What ships were leaving the docks?"

Beldannon softly asks, "Illusion?"

Hapenlok says, "We all had our parts to play tonight."

Speaking lightly to Jhenni, Leafiara says, "Well, you said it..."

Cryheart says, "There are five wagons."

Maltreis says, "I hope this wasn't a distraction from the ships."

Roblar deeply says, "We check dem all and shud send forces out to patrol town."


Diversion from the Docks

At the north docks, there is movement along a large ship at the dock, as some armored men begin to haul some crates and chest down a gangplank. Moments later, a large blue-white pylon can be seen wheeled up onto the deck, and moved down the gangplank.

Roblar deeply says, "Wagons are safe ere for now."

Thadston glances at an imperial mithril-plated wagon.

Cryheart says, "Hmmm."

Thadston says, "Docks, now."

Lord Thadston just went through some reinforced wooden gates.

[Wehnimer's, North Dock]

The dock's planks are dull and weathered from the salt spray of many seasons. Northward beyond the massive sea gates, a flock of ice geese passes, silhouetted against the sky over the dark blue waters of Darkstone Bay. The hulk of a derelict coastal sailer is tethered to the end of the pier. You also see the skeletal frames of large ships, some stacked piles of supplies, some huge wooden crates, a large imperial ship, a stack of empty crates, the dark waters of Darkstone Bay and a black imperial wagon with a glowing blue-white pylon on it.

Also here: Grand Lady Roelaren, Advisor of the North Kittai, Lady Wintersylph, Lord Waq, Gylmour, Falvicar, High Lady Lauranathalasa, Mistress Clairette, Fuaru, Tannious, Quallander, Azimar, Conquerer of Reim Claudaro, Master Beldannon, Sir Cryheart, Lord Thadston, Tylayli, Dergoatean, Laralana, Katiesa, Pietra, Relic Hunter Madmountan, Telum, Commander Roblar, Zosopage, Lord Thrassus, Marshal Meureii

Thrassus says, "It was all a lure."

Gylmour says, "Come at us."

Roblar deeply says, "We kin chase down any boat in da bay."

From the deck of a large ship, some armored men continue to wheel some blue-white pylons into view, moving them up from below deck and safely lowering them down a gangplank.

Speaking to Thadston, Shinann says, "I told the guards to stay at the gates."

Roblar deeply says, "Time to commandeer sumtin dat floats."

Beldannon softly asks, "Aren't they bringing them to us?"

Roblar deeply exclaims, "Da schooner!"

Pietra asks, "We're getting more pylons?"

Meureii says, "Unloading."

Speaking slowly to Pietra, Leafiara says, "No, not us..."

[OOC: In hindsight, I'm like 90% sure Beldannon's the one who's right here, since the text was that the pylons were being brought down the gangplanks. I read it backward and thought that a second pylon-armed ship like Prax's other one was being created. So did Roblar, apparently.]

Cryheart says, "The pylons...that is what the Rooks and bandits wanted."

Azimar raspily says, "Appears Wintersylph is checkin in da water ..."

Roblar deeply asks, "Wait dey bein unloaded?"

Lauranathalasa says, "Bye Zoso."

Speaking to Azimar, Dergoatean says, "Or just decided it was bath time."

Roblar deeply says, "From below decks."

Pietra nods at Roblar.

Roblar deeply says, "Ah."

Cryheart says, "They are unloading the pylons."

Roelaren says, "Winter is on the black sands."

Roblar deeply says, "Guug, guud."

Zosopage says, "Nothing on the water."

Hapenlok cheerfully says, "Oh, this is rich."

Some heavy footsteps can be heard coming from the ship, and soon the crude form of some metal constructs stomp into view, one, then two, then a few dozen. They stand at the edge of the deck, lifelessly watching as the pylons are unloaded, one by one, two by two, pylons of white and blue.

Gylmour says, "I'm ready."

Speaking to Thadston, Dergoatean asks, "You're okay with all this?"

Cryheart says, "Pylons for the newly built ships I bet."

Thadston says, "No."

Thrassus says, "Golems again."

Speaking to Thadston, Dergoatean asks, "Shall we prevent further unloading?"

Madmountan says, "We'll be okay with it when we are blasting Krolvin ships out of the water next month with the pylons."

Claudaro says, "I think this falls into the catagory of, it doesn't matter if someone is okay with it, it's what happened. We got a lot of new weapons here, why be bitter."

Lylia says, "The only soldiers who can never fail to obey orders, no matter how dire."

Praxopius wheels into view.

Speaking to Thadston, Pietra asks, "What was supposed to be in the wagons?"

Speaking softly to Claudaro, Elphieya asks, "But what is the cost?"

Roblar deeply says, "So da decoy not for us, but for da Rooks."

Hapenlok quietly says, "This is exactly what everyone wanted. And now everyone doesn't want it."

Hapenlok says, "You're all fools."

Cryheart says, "Seems so."

Praxopius says, "Unfortunately, the unloading can't be stopped. I've permission of course. It won't take long."

Zosopage says, "That makes sense."

Claudaro asks, "Weapons in wagons, or weapons on ships, does it matter?"

Thadston moves to stand in front of Praxopius.

Speaking simply to Praxopius, Raelee says, "Praxopius."

Roblar deeply says, "Well den, a guud nite."

Speaking offhandedly to Hapenlok, Leafiara says, "I didn't want it. I just went along because I knew everyone else would guard it and wanted to save a few."

Speaking to Praxopius, Shinann asks, "Permission from whom?"

Hapenlok says, "Hypocrisy at its finest. Another Landing tradition."

Roblar deeply says, "Cud at least brought ale and whiskey in da wagons."

Speaking softly to Praxopius, Elphieya asks, "You sent all those people to be slaughtered and couldn't even tell them the truth?"

Speaking coolly to Praxopius, Lylia says, "Once again, you have failed to warn me. I do hope you do not make a habit of it."

Speaking softly to Praxopius, Elphieya exclaims, "They still would have gone!"

Hapenlok says, "And that's the reason I can barely tolerate most of the lot of you."

Roblar deeply says, "Or made set to explode and let da Rooks get in."

Roblar deeply says, "And near."

Shinann says, "Wait... he has no permission."

Cryheart says, "Ye are free to live in another town."

Speaking to Praxopius, Shinann asks, "Who do you have permission from?"

Speaking to herself, Katiesa murmurs, "How many times make a habit? Three?"

Thadston clenches his kroderine gauntlet into a fist and slams it into Praxopius' face! The man in the chair flies back, falling from his chair and landing on his back on the dock in a puddle of rain and something. Praxopius looks up at the sky, his nose split and bloodied, and his eyes glazed from unconsciousnes.

Cryheart blinks.

Leafiara grins crookedly at Thadston.

Nazarr lets out a cheer!

Cryheart glances at Thadston.

Thrassus smiles quietly to himself.

Dergoatean cringes.

Pietra says, "Well."

Roelaren peers quizzically at Praxopius.

Elphieya softly says, "Always lies and half truths and manipulation."

Claudaro chuckles to himself.

Hapenlok snuffs his aromatic cigar.

Rorcustious whistles tunelessly to himself.

Hapenlok put a black aromatic cigar in his dark leather cape.

Chaoswynd amusedly notes, "Well, that's that."

Clairette nods approvingly at Thadston.

Azimar grins wryly.

Dergoatean glances between Praxopius and Thadston.

Hapenlok glowers darkly at Thadston.

Pietra laughs!

Laralana says, "That was."

Beldannon stares at Thadston.

Laralana shrugs.

Roblar smiles at Thadston.

Thadston says, "Pull a stunt like this again I'll tie you to one of those pylons and fire it you crippled little bastard."

Laralana chuckles.

Speaking to Thadston, Clairette comments, "Nice shot."

Fuaru says, "Well dat's more like it."

Katiesa glances dubiously at Thadston.

Lord Thadston just marched off to the west.


Prax's Plan

Chamorr heartily says, "Ow, that hurt."

Raelee walks toward Praxopius.

Speaking to Clairette, Laralana asks, "Wasn't it?"

Beldannon yells, "I don't think that was necessary or was it?"

Madmountan says, "Where's the giant when he needs him."

Roelaren says, "That did hurt."

Elphieya softly says, "Thank you. I've wanted to see that happen for awhile..."

Lylia begins a careful examination of Praxopius -- she takes his pulse, checks his temperature, and checks for broken bones or any other ailments.

Katiesa lightly says, "I see that his temper has not slowed."

Maltreis says, "Someone should make sure he doesn't choke on his own blood."

Thrassus says, "I suppose we'd better get him off the ground."

Speaking deeply to Lylia, Roblar says, "A head harder den a lock."

Pietra says, "Cold cocking a cripple... that's cruel. Yet amusing."

Claudaro asks, "Are you sure the Imperial overlords will be okay with assulting him like that?"

Speaking nonchalantly to Praxopius, Katiesa says, "At least it was not a sideboard."

Speaking darkly to Praxopius, Xorus jokes, "That makes it official. You have been given the key to the city."

Zosopage says, "Well to be honest I can't say I blame him for that. Using us as a diversion. On the other hand that's what needed to be done."

Speaking innocently to Claudaro, Leafiara says, "I didn't see a thing."

(Shinann tends Praxopius's nose.)

Cryheart says, "The diversion did cause losses."

(Shinann rubs her hands on her pants.)

Speaking softly to Zosopage, Elphieya says, "But why not be honest with us? I know the type of people who live in this city, they would have fought willingly."

Speaking to Cryheart, Hapenlok says, "Acceptable ones."

Speaking to Hapenlok, Zosopage says, "Doesn't mean I like it."

Roblar deeply says, "All needed to be done iz pay Nuadha some to bring in by air."

Nazarr just kicked Praxopius!

Praxopius crawls over to his chair, turning it rightside up, and clutching at his bloodied nose.

Roblar deeply says, "No big plans neded an da Rooks cudn't touch da cargo."

Speaking to Elphieya, Gylmour says, "I was ready to fight."

Speaking softly to Zosopage, Elphieya says, "The diversion would have still worked even if the whole truth was shared."

Hapenlok says, "A sad state of affairs that we have to result to diversions, because apparently nobody can be trusted."

Praxopius rolls away from Nazarr awkwardly, wincing at the kick to his side.

Speaking to Elphieya, Zosopage says, "Not if there was a spy amongst us."

Speaking to Praxopius, Shinann asks, "Again, who do you have permisson from?"

Cryheart says, "It seems ye shall live."

Speaking softly to Zosopage, Elphieya says, "Perhaps, but I do not like the way we are used as pawns."

Roblar deeply says, "Least der are less Rooks tonight den der were dis afternoon."

Roblar deeply says, "An we av pylons for krolvin."

Speaking to Elphieya, Zosopage says, "No one does including myself but tactics are tactics."

Speaking to Praxopius, Lylia says, "Yes. Let us hear more of this, before someone else aims a kick at you and takes your head off."

Hapenlok mutters, "At least help him into his damn chair, savages."

Praxopius winces.

Gylmour asks, "So we can all get back to our normal lives.. rescuin' children of bad parents, aye?"

Praxopius sits down.

Quallander says, "Almost disappointed we didn't get to mop the floor with a few more of em fer fun."

(Shinann places Praxopius's blanket across his legs.)

Praxopius lifts himself up into his chair, blood dripping from his busted nose.

Lylia removes an embroidered sapphire silk handkerchief from in her wrap.

Lylia offers Praxopius an embroidered sapphire silk handkerchief.

Praxopius accepts Lylia's sapphire silk handkerchief.

Praxopius says, "Thank you..."

Speaking to Cryheart, Gylmour says, "I was hopin' fer blood, one side er the other."

Praxopius folds the hankerchief on his lap.

Lylia says, "Do not assume for a moment this is pity. I simply want you in a condition to speak."

Lylia advises, "Which you should do. And soon."

Praxopius offers Lylia an embroidered sapphire silk handkerchief.

Lylia accepts Praxopius's sapphire silk handkerchief.

Speaking slowly to Praxopius, Chaoswynd says, "Tilt your head back, and use the back of your chair to put pressure at the base of your skull."

Speaking quietly to Lylia, Aliria says, "Actually, his ghost COULD speak."

Praxopius tilts his head back.

Praxopius nods at Chaoswynd.

Praxopius says, "I will be fine."

Speaking softly to Praxopius, Elphieya asks, "Nothing to say to us now?"

Praxopius says, "He hits like a little girl, and sits down to pee like one too."

Leafiara dubiously says, "Uh-huh."

Praxopius chuckles, but winces, holding his side and looking at Nazarr.

Speaking to Aliria, Lylia says, "True enough. Do not tempt me."

Speaking slowly to Praxopius, Chaoswynd says, "Whether you are, or aren't, is of little consequence to me. However, some here likely want answers, preferably without you choking on blood."

Speaking to Praxopius, Lauranathalasa says, "I'll have you know I hit like a girl."

Praxopius says, "You will forgive me, I hope."

Shinann says, "Those golems do not come off the ship."

Maltreis quietly says, "No, I don't think most of them will."

Roelaren says, "Many things can be forgiven but some not forgotten."

Speaking to Lauranathalasa, Tannious says, "Yeah... we saw you take out dat rolton ..."

Praxopius says, "A distraction was necessary, given the Brotherhood's activities and allies."

Speaking to Praxopius, Shinann asks, "So, you used this town to die for you for?"

Nazarr says, "I do not forgive, no. And I begin to suspect that you are now the leader of the Rooks."

Speaking to Praxopius, Hapenlok says, "Learned from our mistakes."

Praxopius says, "I did not use anyone."

Speaking softly to Praxopius, Elphieya asks, "Is it fear of a spy among us that keeps you lying to us as was suggested? Or do you simply enjoy the power of holding information back and using this town as your plaything?"

Speaking to Praxopius, Madmountan says, "It was a pretty entertaining distraction. For me, anyway."

Speaking to Nazarr, Leafiara muses, "Or... intending to become that."

Claudaro says, "Long as we get to keep the weapons, who cares what was the distraction, and what was not."

Praxopius says, "I am thankful for those who willingly volunteered to aid me."

Speaking to Shinann, Meureii says, "Some did nae die at all."

Nazarr says, "You constantly use people, liar."

Cryheart says, "I could accept volunteers for being the distraction..but not unwilling victims."

Praxopius says, "I do not enjoy the latter."

Praxopius nods at Elphieya.

Praxopius says, "You understand, there are Rook allies standing here in this crowd most likely."

Praxopius says, "I needed to ensure a smooth delivery of my pylons and constructs."

Chamorr heartily says, "The Rooks would know."

Zosopage says, "It was the only way for word not to get to the Rooks any sooner."

Shinann says, "No constructs can be unloaded."

Praxopius says, "Fair enough."

Praxopius nods at Shinann.

Praxopius says, "The constructs are near mindless."

Waq exclaims, "You call our deaths a smooth delivery!"

Leafiara repeats, "Near. Mm."

Pietra says, "That doesn't mean they're safe."

Nazarr says, "Yet the Rooks knew exactly where to go. They knew the routes better than we did, and were better prepared than we."

Clairette says, "Aye, but there's history with constructions and the folks of this town."

Speaking softly to Praxopius, Elphieya says, "There must be some you trust, though. And it seems that the leaders of this town are constantly in the dark."

Speaking deeply to Praxopius, Roblar asks, "Where did you get such constructs?"

Praxopius says, "They will be used to handle and fire the Plinite Pylons. Plinlons? Plilons? We'll work on a name."

Dergoatean says, "Thadstolem seemed near mindless, too. And that was a bad idea."

Roblar deeply says, "We knew of a couple other men dat used ems."

Speaking softly to Nazarr, Chaoswynd says, "Odds are, he had the route information leaked, to encourage the distraction."

Speaking to Praxopius, Raelee says, "... plinite pylons will do."

Praxopius says, "Over exposure to the plinite pylons would likely melt you or I."

Praxopius says, "Hence, the constructs."

Speaking to Praxopius, Dergoatean says, "We've handled them before."

Lauranathalasa says, "That doesn't sound good."

Speaking quietly to Praxopius, Aliria says, "They can infuse mana, then?"

Speaking to Praxopius, Hapenlok says, "True story. I actually exploded using one."

Praxopius says, "Not my plinite ones."

Raelee quietly says, "... these are different."

Praxopius nods at Dergoatean.

Gylmour asks, "So innocent souls died tonight traveling on their own journeys because of nothing in particular? Am I right in that?"

Speaking to Praxopius, Shinann says, "This does not excuse you not telling the mayor or Marshal your plans."

Thrassus says, "Ah, those self-powered ones."

Quallander asks, "What exactly do the plinite ones expose da users to ?"

Speaking to Shinann, Hapenlok says, "Your lot are compromised. I wouldn't tell you a damn thing, either."

Shinann says, "Or one of the Captains."

Praxopius says, "I politely disagree Captain."

Praxopius nods at Shinann.

Shinann raises an eyebrow in Praxopius's direction.

Speaking to Praxopius, Shinann says, "You do not run this town.."

Praxopius says, "My actions tonight will be disliked, regardless."

Speaking to Shinann, Hapenlok says, "The Rook in militia's clothing is proof enough of that."

Praxopius says, "I'm okay with that."

Speaking to Hapenlok, Dergoatean says, "So don't tell the lot. Tell the captains, the marshal, the mayor."

Praxopius says, "I chose not to tarnish the Mayor or Captains in including them in this."

Speaking heartily to Praxopius, Chamorr says, "What are the pylons for."

Giantphang says, "Hello mister everybody."

Cryheart says, "Hello Giantphang."

Speaking to Praxopius, Thrassus asks, "Are you insinuating that the Mayor and Marshal are Rook sympathizers?"

Speaking to Dergoatean, Hapenlok says, "I did. I have. It was ignored. Like a lot of my warnings were. Because i'm 'insane.'"

Gylmour says, "I, for one, wanted t'kill somethin' er die tryin."

Gylmour says, "This was a definite letdown."

Lylia flatly says, "As many of them as I killed, I am fairly certain people know where I stand."

Praxopius looks over at Thrassus and shakes his head.

Speaking to Hapenlok, Dergoatean says, "Not you. You're right. They don't care about your opinion. I mean Praxopius with his schemes."

Zosopage says, "The thing is if they did know what was to happen tonight, the would we not dislike them as well."

Praxopius says, "I am merely protecting people worth protecting more than myself."

Speaking quietly to Hapenlok, Aliria says, "It's hardly a recommendation, being insane..."

Lylia says, "Oh, clever man. You know I cannot disagree when you say you believe me worth more protection than yourself."

Praxopius grins.

Xorus wryly says, "Plausible deniability."

Dergoatean says, "But can still disagree about these golems."

Praxopius nods.

Praxopius says, "The golems will not leave the ship, until I am ready to have them loaded to the new pylon ones."

Lylia says, "If the golems are a necessary piece of equipment, you could say, in the ship-building..."

Dergoatean says, "And the associated plotting."

Claudaro says, "At this rate, he can run to be our next Mayor, he talks in circles without saying anything like the best of 'em."

Speaking to Aliria, Hapenlok says, "Yet, I'm the must lucid man here. Most of my predictions have come true."

Praxopius says, "Their movement at that time, shall be monitored by the Captains if they so choose."

Speaking to Lylia, Zosopage asks, "Would it have been better had you known ahead of time what was to happen and not be able to say anything?"

Madmountan says, "Scuse me, need to find the privy."

Speaking simply to Zosopage, Lylia says, "For myself? Yes."

Lylia says, "For others? No."

Shinann asks, "He said to move the pylons... what would the people of the town say about golems taking their jobs?"

Speaking quietly to Hapenlok, Aliria asks, "Perhaps because the lands have gone mad?"

Lylia says, "They would have died, and I would not. This way, I died too. Verisimilitude."

Speaking to Lylia, Zosopage says, "Then you would be in the same shoes as Prax is right now, sadly."

Speaking to Praxopius, Shinann says, "And, yes. We will monitor."

Speaking heartily to Lylia, Chamorr says, "We has the kral comin back, lets commandeer the pylons."

Praxopius says, "Yes. Because I choose so."

Speaking to Zosopage, Lylia replies, "Yes, perhaps so."

Praxopius nods at Shinann.

Speaking to Praxopius, Shinann asks, "Because you choose?"

Lylia explains, "Those golems might make that a challenge."

Shinann blinks at Praxopius.

Praxopius says, "There will be pylons for anyone to man and use. But the plinite ones will need the constructs."

Praxopius winces, looking at Nazarr again.

Roblar deeply says, "Well we dids volunteer widout knowin anytin."

Roblar deeply asks, "Who az control of da pylons now?"

Roblar deeply asks, "Da town?"

Xorus says, "This will be a fleet of annihilation, I am impressed with it."

Claudaro says, "Works for me."

Claudaro says, "Dunno what the fuss is."

Praxopius says, "I should head to bed. Nurse this bloody nose."

Roblar deeply says, "Well dun den."

Praxopius says, "However..."

Praxopius says, "I hope by Eve of the Huntress, you will have forgiven me."

Speaking to Praxopius, Shinann asks, "When were you going to move them?"

Praxopius says, "Otherwise Magister Raelee and I will be lonely in the Bleaklands."

Roblar deeply asks, "Why by den?"

Roblar deeply says, "Ah rights."

Waq asks, "I have heard it said that the enemy of my enemy is my friend, but I ask in all earnestness if the enemy of my enemy uses our enemy as its tool, is that enemy truly friend or foe?"

Leafiara remarks, "One needn't forgive you to aid Larsya."

Nazarr says, "Yes, there will be no one to die there but the two of you."

Speaking to Praxopius, Zosopage says, "For Larsya's sake we will put it aside."

Speaking to Waq, Dergoatean asks, "And what about the anemones?"

Lylia lightly says, "Nothing to forgive. One does what one must. Others, of course, are free to stoke their rage -- but I understand. I did sacrifice myself for the sake of the town, even though the wagons were empty."

Speaking quietly to Lylia, Aliria says, "This many pylons is an excess... there is some deeper plot."

Praxopius nods at Zosopage.

Speaking to Praxopius, Xorus says, "I have sent along a summary analysis on troll blood and their restorative powers."

Praxopius grins at Hapenlok.

Hapenlok nods knowingly at Praxopius.

Speaking calmly to Nazarr, Lylia says, "I am not missing my chance to return to the Bleaklands."

Hapenlok tosses a knowing glance toward Praxopius, taps his nose, and then points at him.

Praxopius says, "Goodnight everyone. Thank you."

Praxopius ducks his head.

Zosopage says, "Rest well."

Leaiara absently says, "Think nothing of it."

Cryheart says, "Better go nurse the nose."

Hapenlok cheerfully says, "I like him."

Shinann says, "Think everything of it."

Praxopius wheels away, one wheel of his chair running over Nazarr's left foot as he departs.

Hapenlok asks, "How often does that happen?"

Cryheart says, "Niters all."

Hapenlok says, "And now I like him even more."

Waq asks, "The more I think I understand this, the less I am sure I understand it at all?"

Speaking to Lylia, Claudaro says, "Loaded or empty matters not, I did what I could to help those wagons, you promised me a spot on the boats when they sail to bring war to those krols, don't forget."

Speaking musingly to Waq, Leafiara says, "Sounds about right around here."

(Hapenlok moves out of the area using his runestaff as a cane.)

Speaking to Claudaro, Lylia says, "And if any of us have such a berth, you will. I intend to claim one of my own as well."

(Nazarr ignores the rudeness of Praxopius, his expression saying that it is merely to be expected.)

(Hapenlok as he passes by Nazarr he jams the tip of his runestaff into the foot that Praxopius just ran over.)