All the Lich King's Men - 2012-12-12 - The Blessing at Erebor Square (log)

The official GemStone IV encyclopedia.
Jump to: navigation, search

Leyan 12, 5112

by Arpelli

Summary

Highlights

Logs

Last evening, Leyan, the 12th day of Eorgaen, in the year 5112, a ceremony was held to bless the graveyard at the Wehnimer's Landing temple. Given some recent intrusions there, there was concern that the ground had been tainted, and that all those buried there were now disturbed and no longer at rest.
Lady Arpelli sought assistance from the town cleric, Brother Wuldreth, who provided her with some blessed viridian soulstone pins - their exact purpose, if any, is still unclear, but when dealing with the undead and the unknown, what could they hurt?

The group gathered on the west side of the graveyard at 9:30 elven, with Godefroy Kalason leading the ceremony. The following is a recount of the events that transpired (with editing!). Note: large post below!

Meureii recites:

"Please everyone try to settle down and remain still as it is about to begin."

Speaking to Godefroy, you say, "Any time you are ready."
Godefroy raises a hand while murmuring a soft orison...
Godefroy gestures at a heavy gold fealty chain.
Godefroy gets a frustrated look on his face.
Godefroy says, "Greetings, friends and neighbors. Thank you for coming tonight."
Godefroy says, "We gather this evening not to make war or give our all to defend, but rather to ensure a sense of peace for those that have already passed beyond."
Godefroy says, "I am Godefroy Kalason, for those of you that do not know me. While I normally serve as the Prelate of Vornavis for the Imperial Church of Koar, I come tonight to invoke His blessing in a subtler, and far more sobering way."
Godefroy says, "Lady Arpelli has asked us to gather because an unholy tide has begun to lap about our ankles, threatening the breakwaters that protect those that dwell here, and lie at peace beneath us."
You nod at Godefroy.
Godefroy says, "Life can be, at times, a bitter struggle. Looking around at the faces I see here, I can tell that few know that lesson better than you. The toil and loss and hard-won victories are plain as day, and each of you stands as a testament to that painful uncertainty."
Godefroy says, "Yet if life is a struggle, death should be a time of peace. The Ebon Gate and the Oblivion waiting beyond it are a blessing, a solace, and a true balm to the weary spirit."
The glow from a tapered white ceremonial candle softly illuminates the shadows.
Godefroy says, "Recently, that peace has been threatened, and in a way that is personal. Our family, our friends, our parents... all have had their resting place touched by vile magicks, threatening their rest."
Godefroy says, "It is altogether appropriate that we are blessed by the snows this evening. Lady Lormistra, the Lady of Winter and Keeper of the Gate, is surely with us."
Godefroy says, "We gather tonight, then, to strengthen with our wills and thoughts - and by the grace of Lord Koar and His Servants of Lornon and Liabo - these parts of our home that have been defiled."
Godefroy clears his throat.
Godefroy reverently intones, "O Divine Koar,;Lend us Thine aid as we seek to grant the Just rest deserved by those sleeping eternally beneath us."
Godefroy raises a hand while murmuring a soft orison...
Godefroy gestures at a heavy gold fealty chain.
Godefroy rests his hand atop his gold fealty chain. A perfectly pure glow crowns his hand, and the chain, in a golden, shining light.
Godefroy reverently intones, "Infuse the ground with They power, and that of Thy servants, that the proper Order of Things be maintained, and that the wicked not prevail by the strength of the weary."
Godefroy traces a sign while petitioning the spirits for cognition...
Godefroy gestures.
The area becomes brighter.
Godefroy reverently intones, "We ask this, O Great King, as Thy willing servants, standing able to and willing to help defend Thy Peace."
Godefroy states, "Amen."
You say, "Amen."
Godefroy says, "If any have other prayers they wish to offer, please do so. We will then travel throughout the Graveyard for reconsecration, before moving on to... commercial outposts, I think."
Rtune says, "Dun dun dun."
Rtune exclaims, "Helloz everybodies!"
You say, "I only wish to say that... I want this ground to once again return to its sacred state so that it may hold those who have passed in peace."
Godefroy says, "Then with our silent prayers, we shall seek to reconsecrate the graveyard, and undo any damage that remains."
Godefroy says, "As an aside, I commend you all for dealing with the... immediate manifestations... so quickly."

A loud voice suddenly calls from nearby, "Ya need help with tackling? Or mebbe war cries? Der's some masters working at the guild that can help ya out. Go practice ya lazy mooks!" The voice fades as quickly as it came.

Godefroy grabs a slender glass vial from a small pocket inside his golden wool cloak.
Godefroy recites:

"May the Peace of the Gods,
Infuse this place of rest once more."

[At this point, everyone rubbed their pins. It was really nice to see them used in that way, and to see everyone 'play along'. That's exactly what I had hoped would happen.]

The glow from a tapered white ceremonial candle softly illuminates the shadows.

Iseo recites:

"May the cycle of life remain pure with no disturbance and may balance be kept."

Godefroy smiles faintly, bowing towards the flames.
You say, "We will move around the graveyard."

[Temple, Graveyard]
A small group of people stands around a newly-covered grave here in the Temple's shadow. A priest, dressed in solemn clothing, leads the people in a soft song. While the key is minor, the words rejoice that the departed one now rests beyond the hardships of life, safe within Lorminstra's grasp. You also see a small grey tombstone.
Obvious paths: northeast, east, south
Rtune, Arcania, Ulial, Zelas, Velfi, Vandesmire, Valtok, Maags, Aenalar, Japhrimel, Sovine, Karibeth, Lissanne, Galenok, Maylan, Kiske, Ewin, Sagoth, Godefroy, Seomanthe, Greganth, Azona, Windtalker, Iseo, Berkana, Cryheart, Sarvia and Meureii followed.

[When leading groups, I suppose you have to be really careful of leaving others behind. So, despite warning the group that I was going to move around, we still had a straggler. Hehe.]

You peer south and see ...

[Temple, Graveyard]
Here, the graveyard sits in the shadow of the Temple. Velvety moss grows against the headstones, and the earth smells damp and cool. A little elven girl kneels before a grave, placing a small flower upon the ground in a simple gesture that brings tears to your eyes. You also see an aged tawny battle-scarred lioness, a massive bearded white tiger, some richly hued bluebells, some dark green sage incense, a tapered white ceremonial candle, a tapered white ceremonial candle, a tapered white ceremonial candle and a tapered white ceremonial candle.
Also here: Geijon who is kneeling
Obvious paths: north, east

You glance south.
Meureii just went south.
Meureii just arrived, dragging Geijon with him.

A warm glow begins to shine brighter now, originating from the candles nearby.

Godefroy recites:

"Let the powers of Lornon and Liabo
Keep safe this hallowed ground."

[We then moved over to the fishing shop at the docks. The shopkeeper was there when we arrived.]

[Guttin' Goods]
Two circular windows provide an ample view of the dark wharf outside, with a handful of dockworkers laboring late into the evening. Moonlight from the open doorway casts a sliver of silver light across the shop's floor, while dim lanterns supply a sufficient brightness to the area. A scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper leans upon a driftwood counter and seems to doze off more than once. The weak scent of sea salt lingers in the shop.
Obvious exits: northeast
Geijon, Meureii, Rtune, Arcania, Ulial, Zelas, Velfi, Vandesmire, Valtok, Maags, Aenalar, Japhrimel, Sovine, Karibeth, Lissanne, Galenok, Maylan, Kiske, Ewin, Sagoth, Godefroy, Seomanthe, Greganth, Azona, Windtalker, Iseo, Berkana, Cryheart and Sarvia followed.

The half-krolvin shopkeeper dozes off for a moment, then pops his head back up and chuckles to himself.

You say, "Here is the first shop that has been attacked recently."
Speaking disbelievingly to you, Godefroy asks, "A fish shop?"
Godefroy shakes his head, totally at a loss.
Godefroy says, "Well, deflied is defiled."
You hear a scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper says, "I need no blessin'."
A scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper just came out of hiding.
Speaking to a scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper, Vandesmire says, "We all need a blessing now and then."
Speaking to a scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper, Velfi says, "That might be a matter of opinion."
Speaking to a scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper, you say, "Oh, sorry.. I hope you don't mind."
A scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper asks, "What am I needin' a blessin' from?"
Speaking to a scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper, Kiske asks, "The birdmen?"
Cryheart says, "The attack by the Rooks."
Rtune says, "The non krolvin half."
A scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper chuckles.
Speaking to a scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper, Godefroy says, "Lady Arpelli has asked me here to banish any residual... evil... from the earlier attack."
The lightning wyrdling hisses softly, a quiet crackle escaping his lips.
Vandesmire says, "Evil, and other bad things."
Cryheart says, "The ones who burned ye shop."
Velfi begins chortling at Rtune.
Karibeth says, "The evil in our town again."
A scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper asks, "You think a little holy light and wat'r will stop them?"
A scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper chuckles.
Cryheart glances at a scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper.
Maags says, "Donts has to bless the shopkeeper, just the shop."
Rtune asks, "Got a better idea then?"
Speaking to a scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper, Galenok says, "Look at it this way...it can't hurt."
Speaking to a scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper, Japhrimel says, "Probably wont, but it probably wont hurt, either."
Zelas says, "That and a few dozen sharp swords."
Speaking in Krolvin to a scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper, Meureii barks something you don't understand.
Speaking to a scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper, you say, "I think anything is worth a try."
Speaking to a scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper, Windtalker says, "Perhaps not, but it cannot hurt, surely."
Zelas nods to the half-krolvin shopkeeper.
A scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper says, "They ain't bother'd me since."
The shopkeeper glances at you and moves out of your reach.
Valtok softly says, "Hmm."
Speaking to a scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper, Maylan says, "Better safe than sorry."
Greganth quietly says, "We are gonna see that they dont again, this will help."
Godefroy says, "We have had some luck with this sort of thing in the past."
Ewin says, "If he doesn't want a blessing, then we best find someone else that does, let him suffer any consequences of such."
A scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper asks, "Exactly how is it suppos'd to help?"
Speaking to a scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper, you ask, "Well, I'm not sure it WILL help, but it certainly can't hurt?"
Japhrimel says, "Could hurt, if he's secretly an undead half-krolvin shopkeeper, in disguise."
Speaking to a scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper, Godefroy says, "Among other things, some folk prefer to avoid doing business at places they think are besmirched with evil."
A scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper says, "I'll pass, thank you."
Speaking to a scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper, Maags says, "Wonts feel a thing and the fish will be safe."
A scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper asks, "Undead?"
Speaking to a scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper, Galenok says, "It's not going to help with any birds but it just might keep something less alive from walking into your shop."
A scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper says, "Ain't no undead came in 'ere."
Speaking to a scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper, Godefroy says, "It could alleviate the concern of your customers."
Speaking to a scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper, Maylan asks, "Surely you would not object to a simple prayer and a little light?"
Speaking to a scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper, you exclaim, "Aha! See? It works!"
A scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper exclaims, "Them birdmen ain't skeletons, I'll tell ye that!"
Speaking to a scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper, Sovine says, "Then mayhap accept her blessins to make sure."
Speaking to a scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper, Japhrimel asks, "While I'm here though, do you have any non-scratched lunchboxes?"
Speaking quietly to a scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper, Greganth says, "Yet."
Speaking to Godefroy, you ask, "We could bless the street outside?"
Sarvia says, "Perhaps he just doesn't believe the way others do and wishes to deal with things himself."
Sarvia says, "You can't force believe on him."
You say, "That's fine."
Seomanthe says, "Cutlass is not undead neither, easy enough for any Voln member to tell. Anyway he said he don want a blessin and I don think it's anyones place to make a scene over it."
Speaking to Godefroy, you say, "We can step outside to do the blessing."
A scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper says, "Fine, bless it."
A scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper says, "Do whatev'r ye want."
Maylan turns to a scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper and bows low, spreading her wings for all to see.
A scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper says, "It won't stop the Rooks."
Iseo says, "Perhaps as we waste our efforts here someone with a desire for help is being ignored."
Speaking to a scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper, you say, "Thank you."
A scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper says, "But if it stops a zombie, then sure."
A scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper says, "I don't need to worry 'bout one more problem."
Japhrimel says, "And that, my friends, is how the religiously inclined get you."
Speaking quietly to a scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper, Greganth says, "Good attitude."
Speaking to a scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper, Maags says, "Thank yous for indulging us."
Geijon says, "Perhaps we should inquire at Tykel's."
A scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper says, "And it wouldn't hurt ye to buy somethin'."
A scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper says, "If ye want to bless mah table wit' a bountiful meal this winter."
Rtune says, "Wut there is tarts."
Rtune sniffs.
Maags asks, "Can tries to make fish tarts?"
Ewin glances over at Maags and winces.
Speaking to Maags, Seomanthe asks, "Can we not an say we did?"
A scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper goes back to work, grumbling about birds and zealots.
You turn to face Godefroy.
Speaking to Godefroy, you say, "Carry on."
Godefroy nods to you.
Galenok says, "What's amusing is the shopkeeper just sold enough goods to carry him through the winter. Nice...talk about a saleman."
Sarvia asks, "Can we have quiet for the blessing?"
Godefroy awkwardly says, "This place... one can tell, has recently been touched by the fell hand of evil, seeking to take what it desires without regard to the cost."
Godefroy glances around the room.
Godefroy says, "Of course, there is one. This is the shop... the home, in a way, of our neighbor. If my neighbor suffers, I suffer."
Godefroy glances at a scruffy half-krolvin shopkeeper.
Godefroy says, "The touch of evil has hurt my neighbor. Neighbors, let us gather our thoughts, that we might drive back the mark of darkness that besmirches this place of safety."
Godefroy says, "Safety... and fish."
Godefroy says, "May the Lords and Ladies of Liabo and Lornon bless you, and protect you, and shelter your shop as They shelter this town."
Iseo says, "So mote it be."

[Yay, everyone rubs their pins again!]

Aenalar says, "They is making me nervous with all this rubbing."
Galenok says, "Might as well be day in here."
Maags touches her halfling pin and a small metallic voice pipes at her, "Maags likes to dance nekkid in a field of flowers!"
Maags says, "Oops."
Galenok stares at Maags.
Sagoth glances at Maags.
Maags coughs.
Maags stares at her halfling pin.
Speaking to Maags, Galenok says, "Okay that was funny."

[LOL Maags...]

[Tykel's Arms, Showroom]
Glancing about the interior of the shop reveals all manner of bladed weapons, from daggers to twohanded swords. Most of the weaponry is wrought in bronze, although finer specimens reflect the glint of steel. All seem to share an air about them that says, "This weapon is meant to be used". Tykel the Weaponsmith stands ready to sing the praises of his handiwork. You also see a swinging door, a polished counter with some stuff on it and a silvery-blue roiling fog-filled chamber.
Obvious exits: out
Geijon, Meureii, Rtune, Arcania, Ulial, Zelas, Velfi, Vandesmire, Valtok, Maags, Aenalar, Japhrimel, Sovine, Karibeth, Lissanne, Galenok, Maylan, Kiske, Ewin, Sagoth, Godefroy, Seomanthe, Greganth, Azona, Windtalker, Iseo, Berkana, Cryheart and Sarvia followed.

You say, "Here we are."
You turn to face Godefroy.
Godefroy nods to you.
You fold your hands behind your back, waiting patiently.
Godefroy clears his throat.
Godefroy states, "Even as before, we must marshal our thoughts and prayers."
Godefroy firmly says, "Evil is not welcome. With our power and the Arkati infusing us, we can, will, and shall drive it out."
Speaking to Godefroy, Windtalker says, "Well spoken."
Godefroy says, "Master Rone teaches us a lesson - we must drive at them, not huddle back in fear."
Godefroy reminds, "This shop is but a step. First the graveyard, then the shops... soon, this fell intruder shall be driven past our gates!"
The tingling sensation and sense of security leaves Valtok.
Godefroy says, "Our friend, Tykel Rone, will not suffer under this cloud. We shall share his burden... and dissolve it away."
Godefroy says, "By the power of Lord Koar and the courts of Lornon and Liabo... we stand firm, and we stand together."

[And more rubbing of the pins! Woot!]

You say, "Let's finish this back at our starting point."

[Back at the graveyard...]

[Temple, Graveyard]
Here, the graveyard sits in the shadow of the Temple. Velvety moss grows against the headstones, and the earth smells damp and cool. A little elven girl kneels before a grave, placing a small flower upon the ground in a simple gesture that brings tears to your eyes.
Obvious paths: north, east
Geijon, Meureii, Rtune, Arcania, Ulial, Zelas, Velfi, Vandesmire, Valtok, Maags, Aenalar, Japhrimel, Sovine, Karibeth, Lissanne, Galenok, Maylan, Kiske, Ewin, Sagoth, Godefroy, Seomanthe, Greganth, Azona, Windtalker, Iseo, Berkana, Cryheart and Sarvia followed.

You recite:

"Thank you everyone for coming and helping with this. I already feel like the air is a bit lighter here. Thank you, Godefroy for your time, and the blessing"

Speaking to you, Godefroy says, "I hope... I trust... that our efforts shall prove to have helped, even in some small way."

You recite:

"And most important, thanks to all of you for your support"

Godefroy says, "Thank you, everyone, for your time and attention. I felt quite at home, despite being so far from Vornavis."

Suddenly, large shadowy figures leap from the darkness, quickly pulling Godefroy away! The figures greyish-black beaks gleam briefly as they seem to disappear into the shadows with him.

[Chaos ensued! We quickly went to the tunnels to look for Godefroy and were ambushed by many bandits. Then we sensed Godefroy's death, and began scouring the tunnels looking for his corpse. Once his body was delivered, we patched him up, breathed life into him, and then took him to Hearthstone where we all awaited word of what had happened. I will let him tell that story.

Thank you to everyone for such a fun evening!]

♫ Arpelli ♫
Suddenly, large cloaked creatures spring from the shadows, grabbing you and dragging you away! You are surrounding by darkness, before your environs change moments later.
Maags smacks her lips. [Editor's Note: Total distraction, but so hilariously timed I had to leave it in.]
You feel yourself being pulled away...

[Rook's Nest, Holding Cell]
A small straw cot lies in the corner of the room, more a pile than a bed. A stained chamber pot has been bolted into the floor, next to a small bowl full of dirty water. Loaves of hard bread litter a corner of the cell. You also see a heavy steel door.
Obvious exits: none

You slowly and deliberately empty your filled lungs.
You say, "...I should have expected this..."
You dust yourself off.
You glance around the room.
You ask, "Hello?"
You knock upon a heavy steel door.
You belt out, "Hello!?"
From out of the shadows of the cell, appear dark hooded figures, grey beaks protruding from the cowls of their cloaks. They remain half in shadow, half in the dim light.
You take a few steps back.
You ask, "I... suppose you are the rooks?"
One of the cowled figures speaks, his voice muffled and deep, "Blessing ground, are you?"
You say, "I was, yes. One of the residents of the town was concerned that it needed to be reconsecrated."
One of the cowled figures speaks, his voice muffled and deep, "In the graveyard, yes."
You nod.
One of the cowled figures speaks, his voice muffled and deep, "But you come into one of our shops, try to "bless" us away?"
You add, "...and seeking to allay fears by-"
You quickly ask, "One of your shops?"
You say, "I sought to obliterate a mark of evil, not oust a person. Or people."

Your spirits are no longer lifted by stories of Kai's Triumphs. [Editor's note: I found it funny. Maybe you do, too.]
>mychar is trying to remember the stories of Kai's Triumphs anyway. Desperately.
Godefroy is trying to remember the stories of Kai's Triumphs anyway. Desperately.

One of the cowled figures speaks, his voice muffled and deep, "We, are evil?"
You ask, "I cannot say, although I question. You set fire to that caravan, slew several of its members, and sacked two shops, yes?"
You say, "Absent some sort of explaination, those sound... well, if not evil, certainly unkind."
One of the cowled figures speaks, his voice muffled and deep, "Casualities of war. All part of the plan."
You ask, "Unintended casualties?"
You say, "I must ask, what sort of plan? If there are bigger factors in play, you might find the local citizens better allies than you might suspect."
One of the cowled figures speaks, his voice muffled and deep, "True rule comes from fear first, then respect."
One of the cowled figures speaks, his voice muffled and deep, "We have come to return order."
You attend to your white wool cassock, making the cassock as presentable as possible.
One of the cowled figures speaks, his voice muffled and deep, "If you seek to call upon your gods to protect you against the foul spirits of the undead, then so be it."
One of the cowled figures speaks, his voice muffled and deep, "Stick to your graveyards and your crypts and temples."
You say, "You might find a sympathetic ear, regarding order."
One of the cowled figures speaks, his voice muffled and deep, "Think twice before you push your ways on that which we now own."
You ask, "If your order is true, you should have no fear of the invocation of Koar, no?"
You ask, "The foul spirits... the undead were not yours, then?"
One of the cowled figures speaks, his voice muffled and deep, "No."
One of the cowled figures speaks, his voice muffled and deep, "Now you will go, and carry our warning in blood."
You ask, "...but you know who - or what - they came from?"
One of the cowled figures speaks, his voice muffled and deep, "No."
You exclaim, "In blo- now, wait just a minute!"
You say, "I can - and will, carry a message for you. There is no need for more bloodshed, mine or anyone else's."
From the shadows, a dozen or more shadowy figures emerge, grey beaks gleaming like sharp blades. They surround you like a wave of darkness, moving in and pecking at your flesh!
... 5 points of damage!
Minor puncture to the back.
You exclaim, "Surely, you have made your point with your shock tactics and assault of a carav-AAAH!"
You draw an impressive fireleaf scepter tipped with a crystal wand from one of the weapon loops sewn inside your golden wool cloak.
The shadowy figures peck into your flesh again!
... 10 points of damage!
Strike pierces upper arm!
... 10 points of damage!
Strike through the palm!
... 5 points of damage!
Minor puncture to the back.
The shadowy figures peck into your flesh again!
... 5 points of damage!
Minor puncture to the abdomen.
The shadowy figures peck into your flesh again!
... 10 points of damage!
Strike to the chest breaks a rib!
You exclaim, "I warn you, I am not altogether helpless!"
The shadowy figures peck into your flesh again!
>incant 135
You utter a light chant and raise your hands, beckoning the lesser spirits to aid you with the Searing Light spell...
Your spell is ready.
You do not currently have a target.
... 10 points of damage!
Strike through the palm!
>cast
Be at peace my child, there is no need for spells of war in here.
>rel
... 30 points of damage!
Impressive shot shatters wrist!
You are stunned for 3 rounds!
You are still stunned.
The shadowy figures peck into your flesh again!
... 35 points of damage!
Bladder impaled, what a mess!
The shadowy figures peck into your flesh again!
... 40 points of damage!
Strike to left arm shatters elbow and severs forearm!
The shadowy figures peck into your flesh again!
... 40 points of damage!
Strike to right arm shatters elbow and severs forearm!

It seems you have died, my friend. Although you cannot do anything, you are keenly aware of what is going on around you...

You mentally give a sigh of relief as you remember that the Goddess Lorminstra owes you a favor.

...departing in 14 mins...
* Godefroy just bit the dust!
The figures hoist you up, lifting you into the shadows.

Ok... so maybe I didn't REALLY Searing Light... but I would have! Silly sanctuaries...