The CONVERT verb allows a player to align a character to one of the Arkati or Greater Spirits in Elanthia.
Originally rolled in when the Cleric Base spells Repel Undead 1-3 were combined into the single spell Smite (302), the verb was used to determine if a Cleric would receive Smite (which was mostly effective on the Undead) or Bane, which was more effective on the living. It was also factored into the cost of the spell, making it more costly for those not CONVERTed to one of the "Major" Arkati.
Since being introduced, the selection of deity has seen a dramatic increase in implementation. Many cleric and paladin spells have different appearance and/or effect based upon the patron of the character. Certain items, such as the Ravias and Brother Weatherby holy symbols have special zests usable only by those that follow certain Gods. Additionally, it has been stated that tools exist to restrict entrance to rooms, offer better prices at merchants, and tailor a slew of other things to a character's conversion.
Merely typing CONVERT while in game will bring up the usage list. To convert to a deity requires use of a numerical code, drawn from the following table (also available via CONVERT LIST):
(Major Arkati/Spirit) || Lesser Spirit/Arkati 1) Koar 31) Niima 2) Lumnis 32) Aeia 3) Ronan 33) Leya 4) Lorminstra 34) Tilamaire 5) Imaera 35) Laethe 6) Phoen 36) Voaris 7) Kai 37) Kuon 8) Oleani 38) Jaston 9) Jastev 39) Voln 10) Eonak 11) Cholen 12) Zelia 13) Fash'lo'nae 14) Tonis (Major Arkati/Spirit) || Lesser Spirit/Arkati 50) Eorgina 71) Arachne 51) Sheru 72) The Huntress 52) Luukos 73) Amasalen 53) V'tull 74) Onar 54) Mularos 75) Ghezresh 55) Ivas 56) Marlu 57) Andelas 58) Gosaena 59) Charl 999) Other
- Syntax - convert set (number) [confirm]
Typing CONVERT SET ## without CONFIRM provides a means to check oneself. CONFIRMing it will set your deity, if the character in question has CONVERTs remaining.
Each character begins the game with the ability to CONVERT to their chosen deity. Prior to the release of Intercession, two conversions were available. The option for converting was removed if a deity was already chosen at that time. Forsaking the current god via CONVERT FORSAKE and an Intercession will allow for the choosing of a different deity.
The following spells and abilities are affected by CONVERT status.
- Clerics and paladins have access to special titles depending on alignment and training.
- Cleric/Paladin titles (from the "Profession" group only) can take a deity name after them, for example "Archpriest of Lorminstra".
- CHANT messaging for a cleric or paladin.
- Major Sanctuary (220) - Determines messaging.
- Smite (302) - Determines whether a cleric receives Smite or Bane.
- Well of Life (308) - Status is detectable by both caster and target when the link is made.
- Blind (311) - Determines messaging.
- Prayer (313) - Determines messaging.
- Censure (316) - Determines messaging.
- Divine Fury (317) - Determines the holy critical type for subsequent damage cycles.
- Raise Dead (318) - Determines messaging.
- Holy Receptacle (325) - For Tier 5, determines what deity/pantheon a cleric can convert another to.
- Prayer of Communion (330) - Affects the chance of a successful communion.
- Divine Wrath (335) - Determines the type of critical damage.
- Symbol of the Proselyte (340) - Determines which targets are affected by the additional (Wisdom bonus/3) bonus to Spiritual CS and Bolt AS attacks.
- Miracle (350) - Determines messaging.
- Beacon of Courage (1608) - Determines messaging (based on pantheon).
- Guard the Meek (1613) - Determines messaging.
- Divine Vengeance - Determines messaging (based on pantheon).
- Divine Strike (1615) - Determines messaging and damage type for secondary flares.
- Crusade (1618) - Determines messaging and damage type (?) for secondary flares.
- Aid The Fallen (1620) - Determines messaging.
- Judgment (1630) - Determines messaging and damage type for secondary flares.
- Divine Word (1640) - Determines messaging (same as 318).