Grasp of the Grave (709)/saved posts
ReleaseQuake has moved to the Arcane spell circle, in slot 1714, and Grasp of the Grave is now 709.
When cast, the spell will instantly cause 5-6 arms to crawl out of the ground and attempt to pull all non-flying, non-friendly targets to the ground. It uses a standard maneuver roll, with the caster getting a bonus based upon their Sorcerer spell ranks, and Aura and Wisdom stat bonuses. Defenders get a bonus based upon Dodge ranks, Agility and Dexterity stat bonuses, but also have a 5% fumble chance. A failed attempt to avoid the arms will result in 3-15 seconds of roundtime, and a knockdown if the target isn't already prone.
After the initial knockdown, the arms will periodically attempt to pull a target down one more time before decaying away. The second attempt compares the caster's Sorcerer spell ranks against the target's level to determine success (70 + ((caster 700 ranks - target level) * 7), capped at 99, floored at 5). For affected targets, they are knocked down and subject to 3-5 seconds of roundtime. In addition, the subsequent knockdown attempts have a chance to grapple (damage) the target based upon a (2 * seed 2 summation of Sorcerous Lore, Necromancy ranks), including a small chance to outright strangle the target!
Watch out for the cold hands of the dead, lest you join them!
Well this has started poorly!
I have some fixes in the pipe to address the RT issues, that's definitely not working as intended. I'll let you know when those are out.
<<Which part is capped at 99, and floored at 5? The spell ranks or the level? Or the total of the part after 70 +?>>
The total end result is capped and floored - so if the target has >99% chance of being hit, it's adjusted down to 99, and if it's <5%, it's adjusted up. So there's always a 1% chance of dodging the arm, and a 5% chance of the arm getting you (obviously that's from the target perspective, and most of you won't be targets but I hope that it clears it up).
Hello my malevolent, sorcerous friends.
Here's the (hopefully) concise rundown on some updates that I just released for Grasp of the Grave:
- The initial knockdown should be correctly applying roundtime to critters now.
- The arms should not be targetable or automatically targeted anymore.
- 708 arms and 709 arms should get along better (I found this one quite amusing though to be honest).
- STOP 709 or STOP GRASP will now destroy any of your arms that are in the room.
And some questions that I've seen pop up:
- "Arm" vs "arms" - "arms" have an doubled chance of dealing bonus damage, including the chance to strangle the target. There is a flat 25% chance of creating a pair of arms vs. an arm.
- Quake (1714 now) does not use the Standard Maneuver Roll attack. It's its own thing.
- Quake will start showing up on scrolls soon.
- Custom arms: this is something that I didn't think of and I don't have anything in there to support it, but I like it, so I wrote that one down. So maybe (maybe) someday.
The arms from 709 will now decay immediately if the caster is not in the same room and alive when it's their turn to go. This applies to both player and critter casters.