Locksmith pool/saved posts
The locksmith pool is a new system that lets players drop off boxes for locksmiths to open. The goal of this system is to reduce the usage of the NPC Townsmith and increase usage of player locksmiths. The initial release will be done in Wehnimer's Landing for Platinum and when everything is operating properly we'll do a release for all instances. Once we're confident everything is working properly, we'll do releases for other towns in all instances.
Here's how the system works for clients:
1. A client (you!) will take boxes to a location with a new NPC that will accept them. The location for Wehnimer's Landing is the East Tower.
2. You can GIVE NPC <tip> which, once confirmed, will put the box in a pool available to locksmiths game wide. You can ASK NPC FOR HELP for a list of all available commands.
3. Go about your business and and return later to retrieve your box or check on their status. You can ASK NPC FOR LIST which will show you a list of every box you have added to the pool as well as their current status. You can also ASK NPC TO RETURN # where # is from the LIST command. Retrieving a box that has not been opened yet will forfeit their tip.
4. Each box completed using the system will grant 10 LTE per day, up to a maximum of 250 LTE.
Here's how the system works for locksmiths:
1. Locksmiths will go to a location with a NPC that can give them work. The location for Wehnimer's Landing is the East Tower.
2. You should ASK NPC FOR JOB and if they have one available a box will be setup on the workbench for you to work on.
3. Once you have a job, you should DISARM and PICK it as you would any other box.
4. Once you finish the job, you should ASK NPC FOR CHECK. The NPC will check your work and, if satisifed, will take your box give you the tip in silvers. If you had difficulty with the box you can return it but if box was attempted and failed you will not be able to get another job for a short period of time.
5. The system is available to anyone with 10 or more ranks in lockpicking. Rogues have priority for a small period of time before general availability.
> Presumably there's some technical reason why it needs a trivial skill gate, but picking kobold boxes much before level 8 and 30/30 training in disarm/perception is asking to get eaten.
No, there's no reason other than it's a number I picked. All these values can be tweaked a bit if they become an issue. I think I originally had it set to 25 ranks.
> Yeah, this was a point I wanted to bring up too - scarabs can generate on level 4 boxes that you can't possibly safely disarm until level 12. If only because you need 13 ranks of arcane symbols to make sure you don't set off the scarab picking it up.
In the days of yore, a young locksmith would request the assistance of an older locksmith. These are exactly the types of problems that encourage player interaction and I don't want to remove them automatically through a system.
PERCENT based tips will now take into account the value of gems and silvers rather than just silvers alone. This should make PERCENT tips much more reliable on average.
> Open your own box. Empty it. Relock it. Put it in the system for a percentage based tip. What happens?
Nothing. Boxes have to be looted from critters and not relocked.
A few changes have been made to plinite:
- The formula for detecting your max range was not working properly if you didn't have matching Picking Locks and Disarm Traps skill. This has been fixed.
- You no longer need both 403 and 404 lore for detect and extract. You should use 403 for extraction and 404 for detection.
- Plinite will now be destroyed on the client side if the locksmith blows them up. Plinite is intended to be more risk than traditional boxes so that risk is now carried over to the locksmith pool.
- Plinite never has traps so the experience gained has been increased by 150% to compensate.