Tired of looking in your lockers and not being able to remember what properties all your gear has? Remember those labels you could put on potions so that you could remember what was in them? Well, don't you wish you could put labels like that on your gear? Oh wait, now you can!
Introducing gear labels!
You remove a fluffy feather quill from in your bag.
You remove an antique vellum label from in your bag.
write The item is 4x, fire flares, and enhances strength With quick strokes, you write your message on your vellum label with your feather quill.
G>read my label The vellum label reads, "The item is 4x, fire flares, and enhances strength"
put label on my longsword You need to peel the backing off your label before you can stick it to something.
pull my label You tug on the edge of your label, removing the paper backing and revealing a sticky layer beneath.
put label on my longsword You carefully position the vellum label in an appropriate location on your vultite longsword and smooth it into place.
look my longsword You see nothing unusual. There appears to be something written on it.
read my longsword An antique vellum label secured around the hilt of the the vultite longsword reads, "The item is 4x, fire flares, and enhances strength."
Gear labels can be unlocked and altered, but they will be destroyed once you attach it to an item. Make a mistake on your label? No worries, you can clean the ink off. Added spikes to your shield and need to change what your shield says? No problem, just slap on another label. It will take the place of the old one.
Unlocking them just opens up a few fluffy actions like...
tap my label You tap the vellum label against your cheek, wondering what to write.
eat my label You quickly pop the vellum label into your mouth, chew it up, and swallow it. So much for evidence!
Questions and Answers
I LOVE this new item! Thank you for creating it. I will have to fill up a backpack with labels. Does any writing quill work or only ones sold in your shop? Thanks Jainna!
Anything with the noun quill or stylus will work. The quills in my shop are scripted, but not a new script. Just fun fluff.
Just so I am sure I understand, you can write whatever you want? It is not tied to a loresong or anything? I would think the real value would be in adding reads to items without information. It's like a one time use personalized merchant service.
I will buy a heap of them, if so.
You can write whatever you want, except the type of stuff that gets you soaped. I'd hope everyone would keep it IC and tasteful though, because I'm sure if a merchant/GM sees OOC or inappropriate stuff on the label/gear it could be unpleasant. I'm hoping people keep mature about it. But yes, you could use it to name your weapon or something like that. It's not tied to loresong.
Also in that vein, it doesn't take the place of a loresong for the purposes of selling in a Player Shop. You still need to sing to it to let people get the info when they GET your items in a shop. Of course, you can still write it on there. I would think it could be handy too for writing how much things weigh that you're selling in your shop, but it's still the honor system so buyer beware ;)
If your gear already has a READ (like a name or a quote), the labels will cover them up. You do get a warning about it though, so you have a chance to change your mind. You could add the name after your information on your label, I suppose, so that you could keep it, but there is a character limit on the labels, so you can't go TOO crazy. ;)
Lastly, just to be clear (just in case it wasn't), this only works on "gear" - armor + armor accessories, weapons, and shields.
Labels cannot be manipulated once you attach them to an item, so that includes removing them. You'd need a merchant for that.
You can clean off the ink BEFORE you attach it to your item, if you made a mistake.
Imbeddibles are definitely on my to do list for future enhancements to this script. No promises, of course, but the goal is there! :)
Changes and Updates
Thanks to some suggestions, a few changes have been made to this script! Thanks for the HUGE help to GMs Tamuz and Vanah!
1. Label boxes can now also be purchased that will allow you to bundle the labels. Each box will hold 10 labels off the shelf and will be able to be deepened by my merchant to hold more. In the future, other merchants can deepen these as well. This is NOT a standard service for anyone offering deepening though, only merchants with permission can do so. However, any merchant can alter the box with a long description or a show. Analyze has info.
2. Labels can be altered with a base (15/15/15) change, or a long description up to 60 characters. These show up when you attach the label to an item. For instance: An antique vellum label with gold edges secured around the hilt of the longsword reads, "This item is 4x, fire flaring, and enhances strength." Any merchant can alter these.
3. Label boxes will hold only labels of the same description, so if you want to stock up on multiple styles you'll need multiple boxes.
4. Label boxes can be unlocked so that any labels that are put inside will be automatically unlocked when you take them out again. When your box is empty, this setting will remain, so any labels you put in your box will continue to be unlocked upon removal. For now, only my merchant can do this unlocking.
5. I will be offering various services related to labels and label boxes at Ebon Gate, the shop is Sing Me an Epithet. Look for Nyck. Yay!