Settlement of Reim/saved posts
Posts pertaining to the Settlement of Reim.
7/2016 Sneak Peek
Coming soon to an instance near you! I’ll be unveiling a new quest/hunting ground hybrid I’ve been working on known as the Settlement of Reim.
The quest itself is roughly 200 rooms split into four quadrants of dungeon crawling fun. You have two hours to complete the quest or hunt within the area. This is a scaling and instanced quest entirely made up of undead.
The level instance groups are as follows:
- Group 1: 1-30
- Group 2: 31-60
- Group 3: 61-90
- Group 4: 91-100
But Retser, I have FRANDZ that are level 61 and I am 60!!1! Never fear, for you can flag yourself to enter a higher level instance, but be warned, you will find that your creatures are much harder.
Entry: To access this quest you will need to make your way to Icemule Trace and travel down to Thurfel’s Island. Once there, you will find a watery vortex just off of a pier. Venture into the vortex and through the cavernous approach to begin your journey. At the end of the cavern you will find your point of entry. This is not available yet so don’t go looking!
Premium/Platinum subscribers will be able to access this quest on a daily cooldown of 22 hours. Non-prem/plat subscribers will need to purchase a token which will be available in the Simucoin shop. There will be transport options from other realms to the quest as you unlock a higher reputation level. This will cost energy that you earn by killing creatures within Reim.
Progression and Rare spawns: As you progress through the quest you will encounter “Rarely Spawned” creatures. These are beefed up and have different names. You will need to hunt these down in order to flag yourself for progression through the quest. If you are blocked when trying to go through a gate/door, this is most likely it.
Shop details have been removed pending potential changes.
Death: There is no need to fear. If you die, you will be swept up by gentle, groping, ethereal hands. This will take you on a unique adventure to come back to life. (It will cost you energy and reputation) You will be dumped out in a safe room back at the entrance or where you entered the quest from with Transport. To avoid being pulled away you can life keep yourself at any time or have a friend do so. You are limited to one death per quest run. You are also able to turn off the resurrection mechanics and just have it dump your body out.
Periodic Invasions: Automated within the quest environment itself you will find that if you adventure with 4 or more players you may be chosen to win a free invasion! This consists of 2-4 creatures for each player throughout the area of the quest you are in. Prepare to die, clowns. This has a cooldown and will not happen all the time.
Quest Reputation: We have a new reputation system that players earn reputation by killing within the quest. Reputation will allow access to new features and gain more quest energy. Your attack and defense boosts will also be scaled up based on your reputation!
Quest Energy: Quest energy is earned by killing creatures within Reim. This energy can be used for a few BOOSTS, SHOP access, and TRANSPORT into the quest.
Reim Traps: Randomized throughout the quest area are traps. Some will require you to react and respond. Example, if a bow is pointed at your head...DUCK! You will have 5 seconds to respond after prompted to react. If you respond wrong you will still have a randomized chance to avoid the trap... or suffer. There are some traps you cannot avoid.
Reim Treasures: Randomly generated throughout the quest are treasure chests that you can search. These have a chance for creatures, quest energy/rep, and clumps of dirt that have potential for nice prizes!
Reim Achievements: There are 3 achievements available and each will unlock a post-name title for your character that you achieved it with.
Reach 100,000 kills within the Settlement of Reim.
- Progress: 0/100000
Reach maximum reputation within the Settlement of Reim.
- Progress: 1000/10000
Slay all the rare creatures within Reim.
More details to come...
The Pitfall Trap
Here is a little preview of one trap, the Pitfall Trap. This takes the group leader, or you if you are a loner, and drops you into a pitfall trap with another creature. You can try to escape but the creature has a chance to block you.
Other members of your group can jump in and help you, or random people walking by.
Retsgirl asks, "Hey Retser, you're looking cute today. Want to go for a walk in this village?" You say, "Why yes, yes I would, this is so romantic." RETSGIRL DECIDES TO MOVE NORTHEAST. Retsgirl plummets into a pitfall trap as something chases her in. You exclaim, "OMG NO! I SAIF YOU!" l [Reim Settlement, Village] A bucket attached to a frayed rope sits on a low stone well in the middle of this corner of the village square. Carefully laid cobblestones run north and east past small shops. A glimpse of a bazaar can be spied through the gap between two empty houses, their fronts identical but for the color of the doors. You also see a pitfall trap and a large glowing chest. Obvious paths: north, east, southwest go trap You make a flying leap into the pitfall trap! [Pitfall Trap] The pit is barren sans carved lengths of sharpened logs stuck into the ground. The ground is stained with dried blood and other fluids pooling around a pile of impaled suits of armor in the exact center. A frayed rope dangles into the pit from above, its excess length messily coiled on the barren floor. You also see an unworldly servant. Also here: Retsgirl Obvious paths: none incant DEATHbyretser You trace an intricate sign that contorts in the air while forcefully invoking deathbyretser... Your spell is ready. You gesture at an unworldly servant. It dies You feel a sudden surge of energy rush over your body! Your reputation with Reim just got better. The unworldly servant is consumed by ethereal flames as she falls to the ground. Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds. You say, "Ladies first." Retsgirl climbs up the frayed rope. You climb up the frayed rope. [Reim Settlement, Village] A bucket attached to a frayed rope sits on a low stone well in the middle of this corner of the village square. Carefully laid cobblestones run north and east past small shops. A glimpse of a bazaar can be spied through the gap between two empty houses, their fronts identical but for the color of the doors. You also see a large glowing chest. Obvious paths: north, east, southwest Retsgirl exclaims, "My HERO!"
FAQ and Tips
What is the cost?
- During the Sneak Peek Week it is free on a 22 hour cooldown for plat/prem.
- Everyone else can purchase entry for 250k and/or reset their entry mechanics for 250k.
- There is no limit on the number of runs purchased with silver.
Where do I find the entrance?
I don't like Icemule, my RP forbids me to be in an awesome place. How else can I get in?
- After a couple of runs you can reach the first level of rep, 1000. From there you can spend 500 energy with REIM transport from almost any town room!
- This will open up your transport for the remainder of your quest on a small cooldown. Just make sure you refill that energy each time. ;)
I'm only level X and I walked in and got SPLATTED by a creature over my level in my instance! What gives?
- There are checks in place to prevent a creature from attacking you (mostly) unless you attack it.
- If you are running through Reim and see a creature that you didn't spawn, be cautious!
Where do I go once inside?
- This is a dungeon crawl. Fight your way to the end! In each area you will find GATES or DOORS that will block progression. To get beyond it you must kill a rare spawn.
What are the level ranges for the four instances? "1-30
Can I hunt in a higher group?
- Yes, use REIM LEVEL and check it out.
I'm negative in rep and energy, what gives?
- If you die and come back to life with the REIM DEATH system, you have to pay your toll!
I died and my body isn't getting picked up! What do I do?
Why are spawns so slow/fast?
- Everything is randomly generated so it varies. To some it will be too fast and to others it will be too slow. I suggest grouping for added fun and difficulty if you find it too slow or too fast!
Why is it taking so long to get a rare spawn?
- You have a base chance to get a rare. This increases with every spawn, every ambush creature spawned on you, and every chest you search. This is evaluated per person.
- This chance resets when you pass BACK through a progression door. Example, if you move into the courtyard and hunt for 10 minutes then go back through the previous progression door your incremented rare chance resets.
I got some weird messaging and a lot of creatures came in, I DIED! What gives?
- Once in a while in each level instance you will see something like this.
The ground shudders as howls of the denizens of the settlement reverberate through your mind. Wisps of ethereal energy flow from earth below, as a mass of energy strikes __________
- This is an automated invasion system that will flood those within that area, of that level instance, with creatures.
I got overwhelmed, this is too hard, what do I do?
- This is a combat quest and will hopefully be a fun challenge.
- The vortex rooms are safe rooms. There is one in each quadrant (Village, Road, Courtyard, Castle), seek them out for a safe place to rest and herb.
Is there spellburst?
Is there disarm mechanics?
Will I die?
- Yes, I hope! Hopefully you will have fun doing it too! I hope you raise your fist up into the sky and say CURSE YOU RETSER!
I died, now what?
- Take a ride on the river of life OR set your death flag to ON and it will punt you out to where you entered from.
How do I check my quest time left or until next entry?
- REIM TIME
How do I check my energy, reputation, total kills?
- REIM INFO
How do I check my achievement progress?
- REIM ACHIEVEMENT
How do I check what boosts are available?
- REIM BOOST
How do I check how far I've been flagged for? (Progression)
- REIM FLAG
There are a few buildings in the first area I can't enter, HOW CAN I?
- They aren't open and won't be open anytime soon. Ignore those!
This is hard, I keep getting hurt, what do I do?
- Buy herbs, buy friends, buy more entries!
- Decreased the level range of creatures that spawn for people level 99 and lower to make it slightly easier.
- Increased the chance for a creature to spawn when no other creatures are present.
- Increased the chance to gain more of a chance to spawn a rare per creature spawned. This should help those running solo a little bit.
A few people have contacted me about not getting anymore rares after clearing the quest.
You are unable to spawn additional rares after you kill one in that area.
There is one rare per area below.
- Castle Servant Wing
- Castle Visitor Wing
- Castle Royal Chambers
Then the Emperor/Empress
- Fogging and Symbol of Return will now take you and your group back to the starting mist/vortex room.
- Fixed some instancing with the boss rooms.
- Fixed a couple of typos in the REIM verb.
- I added in a Looking for Group tool, it is rather rudimentary and in for basic testing.
When you enter Reim with your LFG flag on, it will list players who are also LFG and within +/- 10 levels.
REIM GROUP Using this command flags your character to be looking for group. You are currently set to not looking for a group. To change this setting you can use REIM GROUP CONFIRM. You can also clear this setting by using REIM GROUP CLEAR. You can also list those who are looking for group with REIM GROUP LIST. NOTE: The Reim GROUP system will allow you to list yourself as looking for group so you may seek out other adventurers. You still need to meet up with each other. Normal Reim restrictions still apply.
- Your Premium cooldown and paid cooldown are no longer tied together.
When entering, you will try to use your PREMIUM cooldown before your paid entry. If your PREMIUM entry is on cooldown then it will prompt you that it will be using a paid to enter. With this change you should effectively have your premium time restarted for your next entry to start as your "Cooldown time"
I hope that made sense, I'm tired.
Gather your friends, might, and venture forth to the Settlement of Reim! Unlock the mystery of Reim as you quest your way through countless undead. What strange magic befell the denizens within? Beware though, rumor has it that strange traps and well trained creatures line the path to the castle. Will you make it to the Emperor and Empress? Earn reputation, currency, and energy to unlock the power of Reim! Rumor has it a strange vortex was spotted beneath Icemule near the pier of Thurfel's Island. Brave adventurers should seek it out to begin their journey.
Hello everyone, Reim will be officially opening today at about 12 noon Eastern. (Less than thirty minutes!)
The new "Reim Base Camp" will be closed until later in the week. (Deets below)
All Changes are subject to change while changing.
- Creatures within Reim now drop ethereal scrip.
- The treasure chests within Reim have had their rates adjusted and you can now find Ethereal Scrip in them!
- The Treasure Vault at the end now has ethereal scrip instead of three random gems!
- You can check your balance with Reim Info OR the TICKET verb.
- Premium will still be able to access Reim for free 1x on a 22 hour cooldown.
- Players can purchase a Simucoin token and RAISE it or GIVE it to the old man outside the chains.
- You cannot use silver to enter Reim anymore.
- 1 access token for entry 95 SC
- 10 charge access token for entry 900 SC
- 50 charge access token for entry 4250 SC
- Prismatic goggles 900 SC
Reim Base Camp (CURRENTLY CLOSED)
- The Reim Base Camp is positioned just below the chains that let you enter Reim. The camp contains a couple places including a way to spend your new ethereal scrip. You can also enter the base camp using REIM CAMP. This acts as a transport mechanism and costs quest energy.
- Players will be able to trade it in for quest energy which is used for transportation and boosts. (REIM CONVERT)
- Players will be able to hand over 1,000 scrip for 10,000 silver or 10,000 scrip for 100,000 silver. (1:10 ratio).
- Spend it in the Reim Shops. (CURRENTLY CLOSED)
- Buy Reim Chests. (CURRENTLY CLOSED)
Reim Chests (CURRENTLY CLOSED)
- Players will be able to trade in 1000 currency for a randomized Reim Chest.
- The Reim Chests can contain Silver Notes, Gems, randomly generated items, and a chance at something better from our prize bins.
Reim Base Camp Shops (CURRENTLY CLOSED)
- There will be an assortment of wares available to purchase in the shops for this new currency.
- Players will be able to purchase "some prismatic goggles" from the SimuCoin store. These goggles increase the earn rate of currency by 10% and will run out of prismatic energy after 30 days from first being worn.
Hello everyone and welcome to the Reim Base Camp!
Countless adventurers have made their way to Reim to seek fame, fortune and hopefully glory. Several of them have started to build structures and set up tents as a functional base camp. Come explore the shops, tavern, vault, and more!
- There are currently three shops filled with assorted wares found in and out of Reim. All of the wares within Reim cost ethereal scrip. There are signs in all the shops with a general explanation of what the wares are. A small sample of things you can buy:
- Custom Reim-themed spell preps
- Custom Reim-themed treasures
- Ethereal Armor
- Ethereal Armor Unlocks
- Farusteri Gowns
- Ethereal Weapon Certificate
- Pure Potions
- And more!
- All shop pricing and availability is subject to change.
- New to Reim are Unlock Waivers. These waivers when found and used upgrade your existing unlockable equipment. Currently, there are unlock waivers available for the Ethereal armor and Farusteri gowns.
Vault and Reim Chests
- Many of those brave enough to enter Reim have managed to pilfer treasures from within the settlement. This treasure has been placed in a pile in a vault at the Reim Base Camp. You will be able to exchange 1000 ethereal scrip for a randomized chest. These chests have randomized contents with a chance at silver, gems, and more!
- You will be able to LOOK at the TREASURE to see what you have a chance to pull. You will be able to see some of the contents that are available at that time. Randomly the treasure pile will “shift” shuffling what is currently available.
- There are several unique and amazing finds within the pile of treasure, check back often to see what is currently available to pull!
- The vault guard is ever vigilant in protecting the pile of treasure. He also possesses the ability to take 1000 or 10000 scrip at a time to exchange it for silver. He will take your ethereal scrip off your hand at a 1:10 ratio. You can find him in the Reim Base Camp watching over the vault.
How do I reach the Base Camp?
- The base camp is accessible beneath the chains to Reim. The chains can be found in a cavern hidden behind a vortex, off of the pier, around Thurfel’s island, underneath Icemule Trace.
- Players can also use the REIM CAMP verb to transport themselves there for 100 quest energy.
A special thank you to the following GameMasters for their contributions to the Reim Base Camp in no particular order. Coase, Vanah, Elidi, Elysani, Flannihan, Tamuz, Wyrom, Aiza, Modrian, Galene, Keios, and Mazreth.
A Deeper look into the Reim Vault
Here is a sample of a glance into the pile of TREASURE. You can do this at ANY time.
You look over the pile of treasure and manage to see:
1. An ethereal armor waiver for defensive strength flares The waiver weighs less than a pound. This will unlock or advance your ethereal armor's defensive strength flares. This waiver will take it from tier 1 to tier 2. This waiver will ONLY work if your item is ALREADY unlocked to tier 1. The waiver is a script unlocking waiver. 2. An ethereal armor waiver for fluff tiers The waiver weighs less than a pound. This will unlock or increase your fluff tier by 1. Ethereal armor has a maximum unlock of 3 for the fluff tier. The waiver is a script unlocking waiver. 3. A small golden hand mirror etched with a woman in bas-relief The mirror weighs less than a pound. The mirror is a vanity mirror. 4. A spangled gold silk and lace petticoat The petticoat weighs less than a pound. The petticoat has the petticoat script. 5. An ethereal armor waiver for fluff tiers The waiver weighs less than a pound. This will unlock or increase your fluff tier by 1. Ethereal armor has a maximum unlock of 3 for the fluff tier. The waiver is a script unlocking waiver.
1. A slender drakar-bladed naginata The naginata weighs approximately 9 pounds. The naginata has an enchantment bonus of +20. The naginata has the special property of: Power of a fire elemental This is a shock lance/staff item, it can blast enemies with elemental energy on command. Total unlocks: 0 2. Some cobalt casting leathers The leathers weighs approximately 13 pounds. The leathers has an enchantment bonus of +20. The leathers has the ethereal armor script. Fluff Tier: 0 Defense Tier: 0 No Padding Flares. 3. A slender zorchar-bladed naginata The naginata weighs approximately 9 pounds. The naginata has an enchantment bonus of +20. The naginata has the special property of: Power of a lightning elemental This is a shock lance/staff item, it can blast enemies with elemental energy on command. Total unlocks: 0 4. An ethereal armor waiver for defensive strength flares The waiver weighs less than a pound. This will unlock or advance your ethereal armor's defensive strength flares. This waiver will take it from tier 3 to tier 4. This waiver will ONLY work if your item is ALREADY unlocked to tier 3. The waiver is a script unlocking waiver. 5. A slender rhimar-bladed naginata The naginata weighs approximately 9 pounds. The naginata has an enchantment bonus of +20. The naginata has the special property of: Power of an ice elemental This is a shock lance/staff item, it can blast enemies with elemental energy on command. Total unlocks: 0
1. A bright silver earring crested with a blue sapphire The earring weighs less than a pound. This is chaos jewelry. It is unlocked to tier 2 2. Some cobalt leather armbands The armbands weighs less than a pound. This is a wounded wear item, it can automatically bandage your wounds. It is unlocked to tier 3. 3. A thin icy blue ring The ring weighs less than a pound. The ring has the ice chunk ring script. 4. A pair of leather pants The pants weighs approximately 2 pounds. This is a wounded wear item, it can automatically bandage your wounds. It is unlocked to tier 3. 5. An ethereal armor waiver for defensive strength flares The waiver weighs less than a pound. This will unlock or advance your ethereal armor's defensive strength flares. This waiver will take it from tier 4 to tier 5. This waiver will ONLY work if your item is ALREADY unlocked to tier 4. The waiver is a script unlocking waiver.
I think there is a misunderstanding here. Everything in this game has hunting pressure. The only reason why Reim didn't have it was because it was on a new realm (Reim's personal realm) and Retser made a new creature profile similar to bandits/Grimswarm. We generally re-skin a lot of our creatures, so this isn't something that comes up often. But the Necropolis, Night at the Academy, Troubled Waters, etc all have hunting pressure. The loot that is being harvested from Reim that is affected by hunting pressure is what we call incidental loot. The true meat and potatoes of Reim was never the incidental loot. Now we certainly understand the area is being farmed heavily from organized groups, but from the design point of the area, this isn't something that was ever intended.
As for other things that act similar. We have bandits and Grimswarm who both are affected by levels 0 to 100. The difference being they are spread across multiple realms. Warcamps are excluded, since their loot (the supply chest) is done differently. Over 70% of all Reim entries are the daily Premium uses, so Reim has been balanced with that in mind. Hunting pressure also self monitors the situation as well. Loot, for example, resets a lot differently than perceived. There are a lot of factors at play, and it requires a lot of research on the player side. Not just with Reim, but just general game play. We use to have a larger community who participated in this area years ago.
Reim still has a lot going for it. A to-scale undead hunting area available all the time. Premium users can enjoy it for 2 hours a day. There are achievements, scrip, unique titles, boss battles with extra loot, puzzles, and plenty of extras that come along with the Reim energy and reputation system. The fact that we've had 6 months of uncapped loot gains in the area is being seen as a negative, but there has been a pretty large benefit to those who have been farming it so heavily. The current pressure drop isn't that severe, when you look at places like OTF and Nelemar. Asking to allow us to remove game balance and some of the core mechanics of the game aren't something we'll change though. Fixing a mistake with allowing a mistake isn't good game design.