Talk:Traveler's Song (1020)
Effects of Failure
The article currently says: "However, on a failure, the bard and the bard's group is transported to a dangerous local area. A failure will also result in a loss of mana and injuries upon arrival." This makes it sound like you always get transported to a dangerous local area when the spell fails, and that you would sometimes also lose mana and sustain injuries when transported to the dangerous area, all at once.
A friend told me today that four specific things can happen if this spell fails:
- You fail but nothing happens ("Hmm. Nothing happened.")
- You are transported to a dangerous place (just a monster location)
- You lose all your mana
- Everything explodes and you get a major injury (usually a rank 3 neck or head injury) which prevents further casting of spells, so when this happens, you may be stranded unless you know Voln's Symbol of Return or some other method of getting home safely
Some questions for folks who have done more testing:
- Anyone have the actual messaging that occurs in each instance?
- Are there other failures which I did not list?
- Can these four failures occur independently of each other, each one all by itself?
- Does the "lose all your mana" failure ALWAYS occur when you fail and get transported to a dangerous place? Does it ever?
- Does the major injury ALWAYS occur when you fail and get transported to a dangerous place? Does it ever?
- Is the percentage chance for each of these failures known?