Familiar talismans aid the Wizard in summoning a particular type of familiar.
First the Wizard must attune themselves to the talisman by waving a "binding" runestone at the talisman. If the talisman has not already been bound to a familiar (i.e., it is "blank"), the talisman must then be attuned to a familiar by waving the talisman at the familiar.
NOTE: Unless pre-attuned via alchemy or through a merchant, talismans can only be attuned to a familiar currently called by the Wizard. Wizards cannot attune talismans to another wizard's familiar.
Once attuned to the wizard and to a familiar, the wizard finalizes the talisman by casting Call Familiar (920) at the talisman. Once finalized, the Wizard may summon their preferred familiar by preparing Call Familiar and CASTing the spell at the talisman.
There are four Tiers of Familiar Talismans.
Available for purchase in Wizard Guild shops. When bound to a familiar, it will summon similar types available in the region.
Tier 2, Upgraded talisman
These can be crafted via Alchemy. When bound to an unaltered familiar, it will summon the same familiar to the Wizard's side, regardless if that familiar is not native to the region. The Upgraded talisman will not properly bind to altered familiars.
Tier 3, Merchant talisman
These can be crafted via Alchemy. When bound to an altered or unaltered familiar, it will summon the same familiar to the Wizard's side.
Tier 4, Auction talisman
Available only through special events, these come prebound to a pre-altered, or custom familiar. The talisman will never crumble and will attune to the first Wizard who uses it. The familiar may also have unique ambient messaging. Due to the rare nature of these talismans, they cannot be altered.
Familiar talismans that are tier 1 through 3 can be altered by specially trained merchants.
Blank Tier 2 Talisman
Blank Tier 3 Talisman
Special Tier 3 Alchemy Talisman
Existing in the Alchemy system are special Tier 3 talismans. These are the same as the subtly carved talismans except that they are pre-bound to a familiar listed below.
The fat red parrot eyes you and shifts from leg to leg before answering slyly, "Oh, I do be thinking I heard m'Mistress Thris a'sayin' somethin' bout more recipes. She did be mutterin' somethin' on 'bout crimson dust, an' colored light. I wager only wizarding alchemists o'th'highest caliber should dare be tryin' experimentin', though!"
These familiar talismans are created unbound, and require the wizard to wave a Binding Runestone at the talisman, followed by a cast of 920 in order to attune the talismans. After that, they can be used like any bound talisman.
- an ironwood raven talisman (a glossy coal black raven)
- a birchwood cat talisman (a silver-eyed pure white cat)
- a maple wolf talisman (an amber-eyed grizzled timber wolf)
- a maoral fox talisman (a black-footed plump red fox)
- a crudely carved frog talisman (a heavy-set bull frog)
- a cocobolo hawk talisman (a dappled broad-winged hawk)
- a haon owl talisman (a dark-eyed grey barred owl)
- an ebonwood cat talisman (a silver-ruffed charcoal black cat)
- an ash jackal talisman (a rangy dappled grey jackal)
- a hickory coyote talisman (a lithe golden-eyed coyote)
- a crudely carved toad talisman (a squat pebble-backed toad)
- a driftwood merlin talisman (a slim dove grey merlin)