Heavy slab of iron
If one is level 5 or greater, Iron Jack will no longer give a job, but one can still give a heavy slab of iron to the blacksmith for some silver coins.
Forging a heavy slab of iron
The materials and devices required to forge a heavy slab of iron are all found in the Kobold Mines on the Old Mine Road in Wehnimer's Landing. From outside the North Gate, go: SW, S, S, S, S, S, SE, E, E, GO BRIDGE, CLIMB BANK, NE, NW, N, N, NE, N, NE, NE, N, N, NW, GO HOLE.
Forging iron requires three components: charcoal, oil, and ore.
From the entrance of the Kobold Mines, type: GO SHRUB. This is the burner room. Check for leftover charcoal by typing: GET CHARCOAL. One needs one piece of charcoal for every set of 4 pieces of iron one intends to forge.
To create charcoal, repeatedly type: GET WOOD and place the log, stick, or tinder into the burner. The burner must have at least one log and at least one handful of tinder in order to create any charcoal. The more wood in the burner, the more units of charcoal it will produce. After placing wood into the burner, GET WOOD until finding two wooden sticks. Now type: RUB STICK.
Wait for the burner to cool and take the charcoal.
From the burner room where one creates charcoal, type: GO BUSH, GO SHADOWS, D, D, N. This is the oil room. One needs one flask of oil for every set of 4 pieces of iron one intends to forge.
To find a flask of oil, repeatedly type: SEARCH. Perception aids in finding a flask of oil.
Take the oil.
From the oil room where one searches for oil, type: S, D, S. This is the workface room. One needs one piece of iron ore for every heavy slab of iron one intends to make, and up to four pieces of iron ore can be used at once (this creates four heavy slabs of iron).
Repeatedly type: SEARCH WORKFACE. Perception aids in finding iron ore.
indicates that one cannot find any more ore until one waits a few minutes.
Take the ore.
Forging the iron
From the workface room where one searches for iron ore, type: N, U, GO DOOR. This is the forging room.
Check the pit for excess heavy slabs of iron by looking inside it. Remove any items in the pit before forging.
The actual forging process is as follows:
- Place a piece of charcoal in the crucible by typing: PUT CHARCOAL IN CRUCIBLE.
- Place up to four pieces of iron ore in the crucible by typing: PUT ORE IN CRUCIBLE.
- Close the valve of the crucible by typing TURN VALVE.
- Move EAST.
- Put oil in the oil drum by typing: POUR OIL IN DRUM.
- To operate the bellows, PULL CHAIN and PULL BELLOWS. This generates significant roundtime dependent on your Strength.
- Return to the WEST.
- Open the valve by typing TURN VALVE.
- Wait for one message of the heat in the room to be broadcast before continuing. This usually only takes a few seconds, if any.
- Move EAST.
- Operate the bellows, typing: PULL CHAIN and PULL BELLOWS, then PULL CHAIN and PULL BELLOWS again.
- Move WEST.
- Wait for the iron to solidify and cool.
- Take the iron from the pit.
Uses of a heavy slab of iron
- Heavy slabs of iron can be used to gain around 500 experience points and between 100 and 250 silver coins by completing a job for Iron Jack the blacksmith in Wehnimer's Landing. After level 4, one can no longer request jobs from Iron Jack.
- A heavy slab of iron is required for the second Order of Voln step, which grants the Symbol of Blessing.