The Patriarch is the highest position of authority in Faendryl society. The word of the Patriarch is considered absolute law. The duty of the Patriarch is to guide the Faendryl to overall betterment as a culture, but can serve the community in any way he or she sees fit. Traditionally, the place of Patriarch is chosen by lineage, most often the closest relative of the previous Patriarch, but there have been political coups as well. While both males and females could technically hold the position, it is generally expected that it will be a male, which is why only three "Matriarchs" have ever been in power. Plotting against the Patriarch is considered the worst treason, as the Patriarch is viewed as the apex of Faendryl society, and as such, hurting the Patriarch is a betrayal of the entire house.
History of the Patriarch
The first Patriarch was Korthyr Faendryl, who also founded what was to become Ta'Faendryl, as well as leading the Faendryl House out of the forests towards their future as one of the seven Houses of the Elven Nations. After Korthyr's death, his great nephew Khalar Andiris Faendryl took his place, setting the precedent for the Patriarchy being held through lineage. After Khalar, the role of Patriarch lost its respect, with a chain of ten Patriarchs being killed in succession, until the first Matriarch, Geniselle Anaya Faendryl, put her son Yshryth Silvius Faendryl into power as the fourteenth Patriarch. On his coronation, he unified the nation through a legendary speech, and made plotting the overthrow of a Patriarch the worst form of treason, helping to reestablish the power of the position.
Up until Unsenis Ignaas Faendryl, the Faendryl House had been on relatively good terms with the other Elven Houses. But at the end of the Undead War, Unsenis ordered the unleashing of Demonic summoning to defeat Despana, and it appalled the other Houses. After his death several years later, the other six Houses exiled the Faendryl. The new Patriarch, Cestimir Xisuthros Faendryl, led the people to Rhoska-tor, their place of banishment. He and his successors led the people while they lived here until the Sea Elf War, where Rythwier Sukari Faendryl, the thirty seventh Patriarch, went to war with House Ashrim and utterly destroyed it. It was at this point that the Faendryl's banished fate was sealed, and Rythwier led the Faendryl to find a new home, creating New Ta'Faendryl.
The Line of Patriarchs
There was a well-known dispute over the chronology and Faendryl accounts of Patriarchal reigns. There have been rebuttals with critiques of historiography and philosophy of history.
- Patriarch I - Korthyr Faendryl (Year -48,897)
- Patriarch II - Khalar Andiris Faendryl
- Patriarch III - Zarish Aeglyn Faendryl
- Patriarch IV - Xethlin Baelras Faendryl
- Patriarch V-XII, Unknown
- Patriarch XIII - Geniselle Anaya Faendryl (Matriarch I)
- Patriarch XIV - Yshryth Silvius Faendryl
- Patriarch XV, Unknown
- Patriarch XVI - Thanris Akeleyn Faendryl
- Patriarch XVII - Ondreian Shamsiel Faendryl
- Patriarch XVIII-XIX, Unknown
- Patriarch XX - Eidiol Jivanatha Faendryl
- Patriarch XXI - Phorien Endric Faendryl
- Patriarch XXII - Nikasha Pavanti Faendryl (Matriarch II)
- Patriarch XXIII - Siridian Decianus Faendryl
- Patriarch XXIV-XXV, Unknown
- Undead War Begins (Year -19,864)
- Patriarchs XXVI-XXXIII, Unknown
- Patriarch XXXIV - Unsenis Ignaas Faendryl (Year -15,186)
- Patriarch XXXV - Cestimir Xisuthros Faendryl (Year -15,185)
- Patriarch XXXVI, Unknown
- Patriarch XXXVII - Rythwier Sukari Faendryl (Year 157)
- Patriarch XXXVIII, Unknown
- Patriarch XXXIX - Korvath Dardanus Faendryl (Modern Day)