Song of Sonic Disruption (1030)
Song of Sonic Disruption allows the Bard to modify his or her voice to sing with such power that those not joined to the singer must pass a warding check or suffer bodily harm from the intense sonic disruptions.
The base cost of this SpellSong is 30 mana points with a 20 mana point manual renewal cost. Single target casting costs 15 mana and 10 mana points on manual renewal (with applicable training). During each renewal, targets must ward the reverberating power of the song or suffer disruption injuries. This spellsong does not automatically renew. Song of Disruption has a starting maximum targets of 3, increased by 1 additional target for every 50 Mana Control Skill Bonus associated with the spell circle.
Note: This songspell is made more powerful through lore training or when used in conjunction with playing an instrument. The bard's playing skill contributes to the bonus. Additionally, a mastered two-handed instrument adds +60 to the warding roll, and a single-handed instrument adds +30.
- PREP 1030 | CAST/SING or INCANT 1030 to cast this spell normally as a player-friendly, multi-target spell.
- RENEW 1030 to cast this spell a second time within a renewal period for a lower mana cost
- INCANT 1030 OPEN to use the multi-target version of this spell once using INCANT
- INCANT SET OPEN 1030 to always cast the player friendly, multi-target version of this spell using INCANT 1030
- INCANT 1030 CLOSED to use the single target version of this spell once using INCANT (requires 15 ranks of Mental Lore, Manipulation)
- INCANT SET CLOSED 1030 to always cast the single target version of this spell using INCANT 1030 (requires 15 ranks of Mental Lore, Manipulation)
- INCANT 1030 EVOKE to use the non-player-friendly, multi-target version of this spell once using INCANT
Mana Control Benefit
Potential targets for most open cast spells are set at a base maximum of 3, with additional targets possible for each 50 skill bonus of the appropriate mana control for this spell. For hybrid professions like sorcerers (elemental/spiritual hybrid), empath (mental/spiritual) and bard (elemental/mental), both mana control skills add to the number of targets. The higher trained of the two counts for full ranks, the lesser counts for half ranks. If both are equal, one counts fully, the other for half.
Mana Control ranks 0 10 24 50 100 150 200 250 300 Maximum number of targets 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
- Skill bonus converted to ranks.300 ranks intended to show a post-capped hybrid pure fully trained in both lores without considering ascension or enhancives.
- Mental Lore, Manipulation: Once 15 ranks are achieved then the Bard is able to sing a focused version of the spell on a single opponent, paying only half the mana cost (15 for the initial cast and 10 for subsequent casts until the bard's full complement of songs are renewed and 1030 falls off, since it cannot be automatically renewed).
- Additional training in this lore makes it possible to gain the benefits that are normally restricted to singing it along with playing an instrument.
- Once 60 ranks are achieved, the Bard will be able to sing the multi-target version of the SpellSong as if also playing a two-hand instrument that the Bard has mastered.
- At 75 ranks, the single-target version is at the power of a Bard accompanied by a mastered two-handed instrument. (Since the first 15 ranks give the ability to single-target, the ranks available to contribute additional damage always lag behind by 15.)
- A Bard who has 60 ranks (or 75 ranks when casting at a single target) gains NO additional benefit by playing an instrument. Phrased the opposite direction, a Bard who uses a (Mastered) instrument has no need for any ranks of Mental Lore, Manipulation skill (other than the 15 ranks to enable single-target capability).
- The two bonuses are additive only to a maximum equivalent to mastery of a two-hand instrument.
Behind the Scenes: Tactical Considerations
This spell has a damage factor of 0.600, and when successful will do both raw damage and disruption critical damage. Training in Mental Lore, Manipulation will increase the initial (raw) damage 0.6 hitpoints per lore rank. The ML, Manipulation lore bonus is capped at 36 damage (60 ranks).
The formula for initial non-critical damage is:
- Example 1
With an endroll of 148 and 15 manipulation ranks the raw damage would be:
- trunc( (148 - 100) * 0.6 ) + ( 15 * 0.6 ) = 37 raw damage
- Example 2
With an endroll of 200 and 75 manipulation ranks the raw damage would be:
- trunc(( 200 - 100 ) * 0.6 ) + ( 60 * 0.6 ) = 96 raw damage
Note: The ML, Manipulation bonus caps at 36 damage (60 ranks * .600).
Increased training in Spell Research, to learn either additional SpellSongs or Minor Elemental spell ranks, will increase the character's CS and effectiveness. Once learned, it is strongly recommended that Elemental Targeting (425) be active since it will provide a substantial CS increase.
If the Bard cannot miss--barring a d100 == 1 FUMBLE result--then gaining ranks of Mental Lore, Manipulation (up to the limit of 60 for multi-target casts or 75 for single-target casts) will provide a much less training point-intensive route to boosting the damage inflicted by this SpellSong.