Song of Sonic Disruption (1030)
Song of Sonic Disruption allows the Bard to modify his or her voice to sing with such power that all not joined to the singer must pass a warding check or suffer bodily harm from the intense sonic disruptions.
The base cost of this SpellSong is 30 mana points with a 20 mana point manual renewal cost. During each renewal, all not joined to the singer, player character and creature alike, must ward the reverberating power of the song or suffer disruption injuries. This spellsong does not automatically renew.
Note: This SpellSong is made more powerful when used in conjunction with playing an instrument.
- Mental Lore, Manipulation: Once 15 ranks are achieved then the Bard is able to sing a focused version of the spell on a single opponent, paying only half the mana cost (15 for the initial cast, 10 for each renewal).
- Additional training in this lore makes it possible to gain the benefits that are normally restricted to singing it along with playing an instrument.
- Once 60 ranks are achieved, the Bard will be able to sing the multi-target version of the SpellSong as if also playing a two-hand instrument that the Bard has mastered.
- At 75 ranks, the single-target version is at the power of a Bard accompanied by a mastered two-handed instrument. (Since the first 15 ranks give the ability to single-target, the ranks available to contribute additional damage always lag behind by 15.)
- A Bard who has 60 ranks (or 75 ranks when casting at a single target) gains NO additional benefit by playing an instrument. Phrased the opposite direction, a Bard who uses a (Mastered) instrument has no need for any ranks of Mental Lore, Manipulation skill (other than the 15 ranks to enable single-target capability).
- The two bonuses are additive only to a maximum equivalent to mastery of a two-hand instrument.
Behind the Scenes: Tactical Considerations
This spell has a damage factor of 0.600, and when successful will do both raw damage and disruption critical damage. Training in Mental Lore, Manipulation will increase the initial (raw) damage 0.6 hitpoints per lore rank. The ML, Manipulation lore bonus is capped at 36 damage (60 ranks).
The formula for initial non-critical damage is:
- Example 1
With an endroll of 148 and 15 manipulation ranks the raw damage would be:
- trunc( (148 - 100) * 0.6 ) + ( 15 * 0.6 ) = 37 raw damage
- Example 2
With an endroll of 200 and 75 manipulation ranks the raw damage would be:
- trunc(( 200 - 100 ) * 0.6 ) + ( 60 * 0.6 ) = 96 raw damage
Note: The ML, Manipulation bonus caps at 36 damage (60 ranks * .600).
Increased training in Spell Research, to learn either additional SpellSongs or Minor Elemental spell ranks, will increase the character's CS and effectiveness. Once learned, it is strongly recommended that Elemental Targeting (425) be active since it will provide a substantial CS increase.
If the Bard cannot miss--barring a d100 == 1 FUMBLE result--then gaining ranks of Mental Lore, Manipulation (up to the limit of 60 for multi-target casts or 75 for single-target casts) will provide a much less training point-intensive route to boosting the damage inflicted by this SpellSong.
- Bard Base Spell Circle: Song of Sonic Disruption, on Play.net