Template talk:NPC Shops
There are so many other pages that need actual tightening up or new wiki articles about GSIV that can be written. This template was my compromise and WAS a quick system for me to create pages for shops and inventory, but if VANKRASN39 wants to isolate each piece of data into tags and insist on it looking a certain way, they are welcome to take over my cataloguing project. I'm welcome to corrections or additions to my contributions, but I nitpick my own work enough, thank you. And yes, I understand VANKRASN39 is a writer of featured/hi-quality wiki articles, so maybe apply that instead to new wiki articles or one of the other ones that are blatantly biased, first person, wrong tense, etc. Also:
- Consider that the room number changes periodically, depending on Lich's map database, and that go2 will even revert to previous room numbers in an attempt to resolve a path.
- My intent with these shop pages is to give comprehensive information but still leave something to be experienced in game. Obvious exits and paths (and goodness, what would you use the tags for?) don't mean much on a wiki and have no relevance to the article, but it's something they will see in game.
- Not directly part of this discussion but I just wanted to clarify that the only required fields in Template:RoomDescription are roomname and desc, all others are optional and only appear if the article writer specifically sets a value. ZHOUY1 (talk) 16:38, 9 October 2015 (CDT)
- When you create a template, it does a number of things to the Wiki, including adding categories, etc. Templates are meant to be used in pages. If you meant to make a Sample Page, that would be different from a Template. It's a matter of using the proper type of page. And as Zhouy said, those fields that you object to are optional. Plus, you stubbed the page, so I added to it. VANKRASN39 (talk) 17:07, 9 October 2015 (CDT)
- No one working against you, templates are a great way to make pages, I'm trying to help you use it properly so it doesn't add anything unnecessary. See the code now in Tartifacts Bakery and how it looks exactly the same as it did before. You have less to do now. VANKRASN39 (talk) 17:36, 9 October 2015 (CDT)
- It's easy to feel like changes to your work on a wiki is working against you, but everyone is working to make the wiki better. Definitely you're taking the right steps making a discussion on the topic. It might be best to avoid additional confrontation by explicitly naming other editors, though. In any case, my wife was working to update Zul Logoth shops on gswiki, and a simple template will be very helpful. DAID (talk) 20:36, 9 October 2015 (CDT)
- I can't comment on the rest of things, but room number should definitely not be changing periodically in the Lich MapDB. If a room description changes, it can (and should) be merged with the old room and given its old room number back. If this happens, let me know via emaill or my talk page and I'll take care of it. PFLATS (talk) 20:45, 9 October 2015 (CDT)
- If you were using the template for a copy/paste base and changing the text manually, I have added that onto the bottom of the page exactly how it was so you can go back to doing that. VANKRASN39 (talk) 09:59, 14 October 2015 (CDT)
Is there a reason that "gemshop" is not a category? In Zul Logoth, Praeteria's Gems and Jewels is the gemshop; Praeteria buys gems and resells jewelry, accessories, magic items, imbeddables, etc. Hervina's Baubles is the jewelry shop; it sells standardized jewelry. But there doesn't seem to be any way of creating a page for Praeteria's without misidentifying the shop type or breaking the template. GEHAYI (talk) 06:02, 28 September 2020 (CDT)
- My assumption is that the gemshop is not included for the same reason that the pawnshop and furrier is not included. The template states: "This template should be used to add NPC shops that are permanent in towns using the ORDER system." Typically the gemshop, furrier, and pawnshop do not use the ORDER system. If Praeteria uses the ORDER system, I believe it would be classified as a jewelry store that also acts as a gemshop. I have brought your concern to the attention of the wiki manager. MOD-GSMOTTE (talk) 11:08, 4 October 2020 (CDT)