Defense of the Faithful (1608)
Defense of the Faithful bolsters weaknesses in the paladin's armor, granting +20 enhancive ranks of Armor Use.
Recasting this also grants a 60 second Beacon of Courage effect that will redirect attacks made on the paladin's party members to the paladin. Any creature attacking a party member while this effect is active will be subject to hidden warding rolls and failing will redirect attacks for as long as the Beacon of Courage effect lasts. The effect also allows the Paladin to ignore Force on Force mechanics for at least one additional target, the number of targets increasing based on Spiritual Lore, Blessings.
The Beacon of Courage effect serves as a passive taunt to protect all other characters in the area. A paladin's friends might be incapacitated or otherwise likely to suffer serious damage from further attacks, which this spell can prevent.
It should work on bandits, grimswarm, and for the most part, any other creature. There may be some edge cases where it doesn't work on certain creatures or with certain maneuvers, but they should be rare.
This spell has different messaging based on the caster's deity.
- Pantheon of Liabo
- Motes of lambent white-gold light appear and begin to swirl around you, coalescing into a radiant aura.
- TARGET appears enthralled by the motes of lambent white-gold light.
- The aura of lambent white-gold light motes surrounding you dissipates slowly, winking out of existence.
- Pantheon of Lornon
- Wisps of lucent silvered ebon smoke appear and begin to twist around you, coalescing into an incandescent veil.
- TARGET appears enthralled by the haze of lucent silvered ebon smoke.
- The haze of lucent silvered ebon smoke surrounding you dissipates slowly, thinning until nonexistent.
- Pantheon of Neutrality
- Fingers of fog-hued mist appear and begin to twirl around you, coalescing into a scintillant miasma.
- TARGET appears enthralled by the miasma of fog-hued mist.
- The miasma of fog-hued mist surrounding you dissipates slowly, waning until completely diminished.