A Knight To Remember
A Knight To Remember is a storyline run by GM Kenstrom, started on September 1, 2020.
- Amos - New Landing citizen expanding established business operations to the frontier and aiming to take ownership of Dragonsclaw Arms. Owns sole rights to distribute and work on the newly-developed hand pylons. Ran for the interim marshal position and Steward of the Guilds position on the town council.
- Casiphia - A militia member and Thadston's lover, who nonetheless spoke in favor of his removal as marshal during his competency hearing. Ran for the interim marshal position afterward.
- Khylon - Former captain of the town guard which maintains everyday peacekeeping in the streets, who successfully ran for the interim marshal position and was a former marshal.
- Mother - Leader of the Brotherhood of Rooks, ostensibly under attack by an unknown faction of bandits who oppose Malluch Burdos as well as the Rooks.
- Renpaw - The lifetime-appointed sole judge in the Landing, who would face Mayor Leafiara's request to remove Thadston from power, then later a request to postpone the Steward of the Guilds decision pending investigations.
- Rone - A mysterious figure wielding a set of the Alchemist's magical gauntlets. Motives and goals, if any, remain largely unknown after nearly two years, but at very least they seek that the mayor denounce the Rooks.
- Stephos DeArchon - Wealthy merchant with connections throughout Idolone and a shady history of selling arms to the krolvin, which was pardoned by Mayor Cruxophim in a successful bid to retrieve Rodnay from captivity to Dennet. Ran for the Steward of the Guilds position.
- Thadston Andrews - Former militia marshal removed from his position until such time as he can resolve a magical azure light surrounding him. Now a drunkard.
- Cutlass - Owner of the fish shop. Ran for the interim marshal position.
- Dakris - Owner of the furrier shop. Ran for the Steward of the Guilds position, but shortly thereafter withdrew for unknown reasons.
- Octaven - Grand Magister of the Hall of Mages who's attacked the Landing once in an attempt to get to Dennet Kestrel, but offered sporadic aid afterward. Also organized a sham trial of Pylasar. Was captured in a bane coffin by her underling Vlashandra and was going to eventually be released by Magisters Raelee and Cordarius, but rumors say her coffin has gone missing.
- Walward - Owner of the siegery shop. Ran for the Steward of the Guilds position, but withdrew following an attack on his wagons, which he claims reminded him of focusing on the business he loves.
N/A... so far.
[Note: These are highly abbreviated summaries of events largely intended as refreshers or teasers. For more details and (in most cases) full logs, please click each one.]
09/01/20 - Streets of Rage
|Zealous thugs wipe away Malluch's followers' blood markings, then push further and set fire to Murdos' shop. While town defenders rush to protect shop and streets alike, three inbound ships fall prey to a mysterious explosion and the bandits slaughter most of the survivors as they make it to shore. A lone sailor makes it back thanks to Rone, but is unable to answer questions in his condition as he coughs up green ichor. Mother arrives to give him a claimed mercy killing and says the ships were the Rooks' and this new faction has sent a message they'll regret.|
09/02/20 - Salvage the Situation (afternoon)
|Debris from the explosions washes up and adventurers investigate to find elemental essences of air, earth, and water, silver coins, pewter statuettes of a bear, boar, and stallion, and a small shard of blood marble. Town guards collect and store bloated limbs for investigation and Gillien gets some green ichor on himself while kicking apart the debris, leading to a disease-ridden death.|
09/02/20 - Town Matters, Marshals, and Mayors (evening)
|Marshal Thadston announces that members of the Faendryl Enclave have agreed to act as his representation at his hearing before Judge Renpaw in two nights over whether he's fit to remain marshal. He says that we have no town mayor and if he loses his case, Leafiara had better go further and come for his citizenship, because in spring he'll come for her office--and even though he's under review, just as many eyes and ears are on her.|
09/04/20 - Hearing Him Out or Hearing Him In
|Judge Renpaw presides over a hearing unprecedented in his lifetime as Marshal Thadston's fitness to serve is put under scrutiny. Despite mounting questions over the magical light surrounding him, Thadston refuses answers and seeks to turn the tables, instead criticizing the double standards of challenging only him when the previous Marshal Thrayzar had been cursed into the body of an orc and when Captain Shinann, Mayor Leafiara, Captain Stormyrain, and the Order of the Silver Gryphon have done questionable things including most recently escorting Malluch Burdos' followers. Heated personal attacks fly and the hearing comes to a head with his lover Casiphia provoking the magic in view of the public until Thadston--or the Bleakwalker possessing him--declares everyone weaknesses and failures who weren't good enough for their lovers and families.|
09/05/20 - The Lion's Share
|Businessman and relatively new Landing citizen Amos the Lion does merchant work in the Sleeping Dragon Pub, an establishment he hopes to soon own, working on the newly-developed hand pylons--a market he now controls. He banters with adventurers as all parties get to know each other.|
09/06/20 - Judge Dread
|Judge Renpaw delivers his decision that Thadston did not exceed his authority as the laws are written now, but nonetheless is unfit in light of the magic influencing him and has been removed; if and when he can address and resolve that problem, his authority will be reinstated. Immediately after the verdict, though, a shadowy figure wielding acid-shooting hand pylons fires on about half the courtroom in a deadly attack! As questions mount about the attacker, Thadston is found stumbling around in Helga's back alley, saying he sacrificed himself to close the Bleaklands portal but none of them were worth it. As everyone tries to extend aid, Thadston pushes them away (sometimes literally) and says "she"--the voice with him--is all he has left of his wife and to leave them be.|
09/09/20 (and 09/11/20) - Amost Curious Offer
|Amos says he'll do what he can to figure out who was behind the attack on the courtroom. Meanwhile, he extends an offer to fill the role of Interim Marshal to quell chaos and unrest and potentially bring Thadston back to his senses. Objections are raised and Mayor Leafiara says she'll consult with the captains. Amos also says he's preparing a proposal to renovate Shanty Town and Leafi muses that, if anything, he should aim for Beldrin's council seat, which is business-related. He seemingly agrees to go through the process of candidate selection via the town council. Two nights later, Captain Stormyrain asks why the council doesn't consult the captains regarding filling the marshal position and says that she and potentially Captain Shinann will write to them.|
09/13/20 - A Rone Cold Ultimatum
|Rone comes to Moot Hall, having caught wind of Mayor Leafiara's proposal for a formal alliance, but the vigilante has other ideas and warns her to denounce the Rooks and all crime elements in the town or else justice will come for her too. Leafi presses for evidence or leads to no avail, but nonetheless is left to consider the idea. Meanwhile, a clerk brings word that Judge Renpaw wishes decisions on the two vacant town council seats by week's end. Candidates for Interim Interim Marshal are Amos, Casiphia, Khylon, and fish shop owner Cutlass. Candidates for Steward of the Guilds are Amos, Dakris the furrier, Stephos DeArchon, and siegery shop owner Walward.|
09/15/20 - Barring Further Problems
|The Rooks' urchin boy Acorn brings the names of Amos' "fireflies," but meanwhile drunk dockworkers in Helga's are taunting an also-drunk Thadston into a tavern brawl! Thadston eventually winds up in the Rook tunnels, where they warn everyone to leave so they can "take care" of him--which town defenders can't abide. A violent clash breaks out and even the new bandit faction finds its way there. After everything is clear, Thadston says that, title or no, he can rally the militia to attack the tunnels and end the Rooks--or maybe he should become a vigilante.|
09/17/20 - Slick Burn
|It's a busy night for three of the four Steward of the Guilds candidates as Dakris withdraws from the race, Amos has a potential lead on a man named the "Knave" being behind the pylon attacks and another potential lead on a well-trained red orc, and wagons of Walward's goods are set ablaze. A surviving mercenary protecting the wagons reports something sounding like the familiar hand-pylons...|
|Suspicions run high and wild as Amos' ships come in and mass chaos ensues at the docks, River Tower East, and the Black Sands. Thadston defies the captains' orders to conduct an inspection by breaking vases--because he's inebriated, to relieve stress, or does he suspect something sinister? Figures appearing to be the Rooks ask for protection money at the docks and fire a brand new pylon at the second ship when they don't get it--but how and where did they get those resources? The ship diverts toward the beach, but the Rooks are already there lying in wait beneath the sands to ambush--but how did they know the right spot? Town defenders stave them all off, so Amos successfully delivers rune-etched hammers for himself and caged four-armed ogres to be released for a future hunt--but where or how did he acquire either of them and are his plans as simple as he claims? By the end of the night, there's an earnest debate as to who's a worse pick for Steward of the Guilds: Amos or one of the Landing's most hated men, Stephos DeArchon.|
09/20/20 - Tacticalegalese
|Mayor Leafiara delivers to Judge Renpaw her selection of Guard Captain Khylon, now to be Interim Marshal Khylon, as Renpaw and Captain Stormyrain discuss further details of Khylon's health and expectations for the presence of him or any Marshal. As for Steward of the Guilds, Leafiara requests a postponement on the decision pending investigations of the remaining candidates as suspects in the attack on Walward; Renpaw permits a 45-day extension.|
|New Interim Marshal Khylon makes a splash with a jovial yet productive meeting on stopping crime in town. By the end of the night, following suggestions from town defenders, Khylon's agreed to seek a meeting with Mother, step up security at the docks, issue an arrest warrant for Rone, coordinate with new Guard Captain Dunigan to look into Amos and Stephos, investigate Dragonsclaw Arms and the Daily Darkstone, and look into Grand Magister Octaven's rumored disappearance.|
09/23/20 - Rooking Forward
|At Captain Stormyrain's suggestion, Mother meets with town defenders to discuss the Rooks' recent tactics and discuss their mission: protecting the Landing's independence as factions of the knaves, Barnom Slim's men, and Malluch's cultists move in to destroy the Brotherhood and potentially the Landing itself. After lengthy and contested discussion, Stormy concludes that she has what she needs from the meeting and Mother says to either watch the Rooks live or die, or join them as they fight to live or die. Meanwhile, the Knave puts a twenty million silver bounty on Rone, dead or alive...|
09/27/20 - Rough and Tumble, Tough in Rumble
|Adventurers, the militia, the town guard, Rone, and--to some extent--the Rooks race to defend the Landing and the tunnels beneath it as the Knave's men and the hand-pylon wielders of the shadows launch attacks on Burrow Way, Cutlass' fishing shop, Tykel's weapon shop, Walward's siegery shop, a targeted assassination of Magister Raelee in the outpost, the North Docks and the movers, and the Shanty Town boatyard. Rone takes an acid shot in the battle as three hand-pylon wielders, but tumbles away--to safety or into enemy hands?|