Casting strength (CS) is the primary offensive measure involved in the resolution of warding magic.
Primary Circle Bonus
The Primary Circle is the spell circle being cast (round normally). For example, a sorcerer casting Mana Disruption (702) would use ranks known in the Sorcerer Base circle to calculate the primary circle CS bonus. If the spell being cast is from a circle that the caster cannot train, for example, a sorcerer casting a Cleric Base spell from a blessed gem, then there is no primary circle bonus. All three trainable circles (sorcerer base, MnE and MnS) become secondary circles.
- Ranks up to level = 1
- Ranks 1-20 above level = 0.75
- Ranks 21-60 above level = 0.5
- Ranks 61-100 above level = 0.25
- Ranks 101-? above level = 0.125
Primary Circle Bonus Example
A level 60 sorcerer with 80 sorcerer base ranks would have a primary circle bonus of 75 (60 + 15) when casting sorcerer base spells. A bonus of 1 for each spell rank up to level and an additional bonus of 15 (20 * .75) for the 20 ranks above level.
Secondary Circle Bonus
Secondary spell circles are any other circles the character knows that do not include the cast spell. For example, a sorcerer casting Mana Disruption (702) would use spell ranks known in the Minor Elemental and Minor Spiritual circles to calculate the secondary spell circle bonuses. If the sorcerer is casting Elemental Strike (415) then the secondary circle bonus calculations would use ranks known in the Sorcerer Base and Minor Spiritual circles. For professions such as rangers, bards, paladins, rogues and warriors that are limited to training in only two spell circles, there is just one secondary circle bonus.
- Ranks up to 2/3 level = 0.333
- Ranks above 2/3 level up to level = 0.1
- Ranks above level = 0.05
Secondary Circle Bonus Example
A level 60 sorcerer with 30 minor elemental ranks and 20 minor spiritual ranks would have secondary circle bonuses of 10 (30 * .333) from MnE ranks and 7 (20 * .333) from MnS ranks when casting sorcerer base spells.
Stat bonus is the value appearing after the stat when the INFO command is entered.
- Use the Aura stat bonus for the following spell circles:
- Use the Wisdom stat bonus for the following spell circles:
- Use the average of Aura and Wisdom stat bonuses (round up) for:
- Use the Logic stat bonus for the following spell circle:
- Use the average of Influence and Logic stat bonuses (round up) for the following spell circle:
- Major Mental - Not yet implemented
- Use the average of Discipline and Logic stat bonuses (round up) for the following spell circle:
- Savant Base - Not yet implemented
CS Calculation Example
'Mentok' is a level 60 sorcerer. He has 80 Sorcerer Base ranks, 30 Minor Elemental ranks, and 20 Minor Spiritual ranks with a +30 Aura bonus and a +25 Wisdom bonus.
- Level x 3 = 180
- 60 Sorcerer Base ranks @ 1.0 + 20 ranks @ 0.75 = 75
- 30 Minor Elemental ranks @ 0.333 = 10
- 20 Minor Spiritual ranks @ 0.333 = 7
- (30 AUR bonus + 25 WIS bonus)/2 = 28
If he casts Elemental Targeting (425), he would gain an additional +14 CS to Sorcerer Base.
Items and spells to boost CS
CS enhancements to a specific sphere of magic have half effect for spells from related circles, and none for spells from opposing spheres. For example, Elemental Targeting provides half of its bonus to Sorcerer spells and no benefit to Spiritual spells.
|Mystic Focus (1711) (see below)||+10||All||available from heavy quartz orbs|
|Acuity flares||+3 per tier||All||stacks with Ensorcell (735)|
|Symbol of Supremacy||+1 per 2 ranks||All||only vs. undead; up to +13 for masters|
|Elemental Targeting (425)||+25||Elemental||up to +50 based on MnE ranks|
|Elemental focus potion|| +10 (minor)
|Elemental||on next cast|
|Champion's Might (1612)||+15||Spiritual||up to +25 based on Paladin Base ranks|
|Spirit Slayer (240)||+25||Spiritual||on recast; up to +45 based on Spiritual Mana Control|
|Symbol of the Proselyte (340)||+5||Spiritual||on next cast; additional bonuses from Influence and Wisdom|
|Spiritual focus crystal|| +10 (minor)
|Spiritual||on next cast|
|Mental focus crystal|| +10 (minor)
|Mental||on next cast|
This section lists the maximum CS that can be reached by a level 100 character, assuming statistic bonuses of +25 and Elemental Targeting in effect (actual CS may be different for races with stat modifiers). The listed spell ranks are not necessarily the only configuration that achieves each result.
Bards have 202 ranks total, and can reach 517 Bard Base CS with:
- 125 Bard Base, 77 Minor Elemental
Clerics have 303 ranks total, and can reach 508 Cleric Base CS with:
- 166 Cleric Base, 67 Minor Spiritual, 67 Major Spiritual
leaving 3 ranks that can be placed anywhere with no CS gain
Empaths have 303 ranks total, and can reach 508 Empath Base CS with:
- 166 Empath Base, 67 Minor Spiritual, 67 Major Spiritual
leaving 3 ranks that can be placed anywhere with no CS gain
Sorcerers have 303 ranks total, and can reach 532 Sorcerer Base CS with:
- 162 Sorcerer Base, 73 Minor Elemental, 67 Minor Spiritual
leaving 1 rank that can be placed anywhere with no CS gain or
- 159 Sorcerer Base, 77 Minor Elemental, 67 Minor Spiritual
- 162 Sorcerer Base, 77 Minor Elemental, 64 Minor Spiritual
- 166 Sorcerer Base, 73 Minor Elemental, 64 Minor Spiritual
Wizards have 303 ranks total, and can reach 557 Major Elemental CS with:
- 159 Major Elemental, 77 Minor Elemental, 67 Wizard
(In practice this configuration is uncommon. Unlike other professions, wizards rarely train purely for CS in a single spell circle and have many non-warding attack options.)
Magic Items and Scrolls
Activating a warding spell from a magic item or scroll will grant a CS bonus similar to spell ranks using the following formula:
CS Per AS/MIU Rank Limit 0.75 Up to level 0.5 Up to 2x level 0.33 Over 2x level
While Mystic Focus is active, warding spells from the Elemental (MnE, MjE, Wizard, Bard) and Sorcerer spheres receive a further bonus based on the caster's Magic Item Use or Arcane Symbols skill, depending on whether the subsequent warding spell is cast from a magic item or a scroll. The Elemental/Sorcerer sphere bonus does not stack with Elemental Targeting (425).
To find the optimal spell rank training to maximize your CS in in a single circle you can use this calculator.