The triton executioner scans his surroundings with merciless eyes as if seeking his next client. Heavy, leathery lips are pulled into a perpetually disgusted sneer, pinching the creature's nostrils into narrow slits. Animal muscles, powerfully knotted beneath his moist blue-green skin, seem ready to spring in any direction. The executioner wears a dark blue tabard emblazoned with a silver wave upon the chest.
Executioners behave like rogues and will usually attack adventurers from hiding while they are busy fighting other creatures which makes them a real nuisance. After spawning, they will slip into hiding and begin to sneak from room to room looking for players to attack. From hiding, the executioner can ambush adventurers or disable them by using Sweep, Cutthroat or attempting to Drown them. If given enough time, they will switch to their heavy crossbow and begin sniping as well.
They are most vulnerable when out in the open and it is better to kill them quickly before they get a chance to switch to their crossbow. It doesn't take much to knock an executioner down and stun them. The Drown maneuver can be completely avoid by only hunting on the 3rd floor of Nelemar and spellcasters (including Empaths) are advised to carry some aloeas stem or an equivalent herb to heal down the rank 2 neck wound caused by Cutthroat to regain their spellcasting ability.
- Triton Executioners spawn holding a one-handed edged weapon and a small shield and wearing a heavy crossbow and a harness. The gear's appearance depends on what floor they spawn on but is largely identical in function.
- a sharply curved black handaxe - 2nd floor spawns. Handaxe made out of steel that weighs 6 pounds. Crumbles.
- a coral-hilted sharply tapered longsword - 3rd floor spawns. Longsword made out of steel that weighs 5 pounds. Crumbles.
- a navy-banded slate grey targe - 2nd floor spawns. Small shield made out of steel that weighs 6 pounds. Crumbles.
- a silver-rimmed black steel buckler - 2nd floor spawns. Small shield made out of steel weighs 6 pounds. Crumbles.
- a rough ashen heavy crossbow - 2nd floor spawns. Heavy crossbow weighs ? pounds. Uses a lichen-streaked pale driftwood bolt as ammo. Crumbles.
- a short-prodded heavy arbalest - 3rd floor spawns. Heavy crossbow weighs ? pounds. Uses ? ammo. Crumbles.
- a crested thick leather harnesst - 3rd floor spawns. Crumbles.
- a teardrop-clasped dark leather harness - 3rd floor spawns. Crumbles.
- Triton Executioners can pick up and use weapons left on the floor and will occasionally throw their melee weapon. They can attack immediately after picking up a weapon.
A triton executioner drops her sharply tapered longsword and snatches up a corroded bronze scaling fork! A triton executioner slings a silver-rimmed black steel buckler over her shoulder. A triton executioner thrusts with a corroded bronze scaling fork at you! AS: +433 vs DS: +553 with AvD: +29 + d100 roll: +43 = -48 A clean miss.
- Right before making an attack while unhidden, a Triton Executioner might swap between their melee weapon and their heavy crossbow.
A triton executioner puts a coral-hilted sharply tapered longsword in his leather harness and slings a silver-rimmed black steel buckler over his shoulder. A triton executioner slings a rough ashen heavy crossbow off from over his shoulder. A triton executioner cocks his ashen heavy crossbow and loads it with a lichen-streaked pale driftwood bolt. A triton executioner fires a streaked pale driftwood bolt at you! AS: +441 vs DS: +335 with AvD: +25 + d100 roll: +58 = +189 ... and hits for 27 points of damage! Nice puncture to the abdomen, just missed vital organs! The pale driftwood bolt cracks and splinters, scattering a few strands of lichen about the area.
- This can even happen right after the executioner picks up a weapon from the ground.
A triton executioner drops his sharply tapered longsword and snatches up a corroded bronze scaling fork! A triton executioner slings a silver-rimmed black steel buckler over his shoulder. A triton executioner puts a corroded bronze scaling fork in his leather harness. A triton executioner slings a rough ashen heavy crossbow off from over his shoulder. A triton executioner cocks his ashen heavy crossbow and loads it with a lichen-streaked pale driftwood bolt. A triton executioner fires a streaked pale driftwood bolt at you! AS: +438 vs DS: +385 with AvD: +25 + d100 roll: +71 = +149 ... and hits for 15 points of damage! Minor puncture to the right arm. The pale driftwood bolt cracks and splinters, scattering a few strands of lichen about the area.
- Their most noteworthy ability is hiding and sneak from room to room. From hiding, they can attack or use any of their abilities. Triton Executions are skilled at hiding and have a good chance to remain hidden when firing their crossbow or throwing their weapon from hiding. Executioners can be forced out of hiding by SEARCHing, casting 609, or using an area spell.
- When attacking from hiding, a Triton Executioner cannot switch weapons or pick up a new weapon off the ground.
- Unlike Bandits, Triton Executioners attacking from hiding is considered a normal attack. It can be parry, blocked, evaded and does not cause a DS pushdown.
- Triton Executioners still gain the benefits of group spells of other Nelemar creatures such as the Siren's Song of Tonis or the Triton Radical's Divine Shield when hidden in the same room.
- SEARCHing uses the normal Perception check to find executions. However, unlike searching for other players, executioners that are discovered are automatically pulled from hiding. No pointing necessary.
- Example of some normal searching messages:
>search You don't find anything of interest here. Roundtime: 3 sec. >search You don't find anything of interest here, but you have the funny feeling you are being watched. Roundtime: 3 sec. >search You see signs that something is about, but fail to discover its location in the room. Roundtime: 3 sec. >search You discover the hiding place of a triton executioner! Roundtime: 3 sec.
- Triton Executioners that failed a Sweep attempt badly enough (negative result) are not knocked to the ground despite the messaging indicating otherwise.
- Like other Tritons, executioners can attempt drown players in rooms on the 2nd floor of Nelemar that are flooded with water. This maneuver is lethal if it succeeds but it takes several rounds to complete and the player has several chances to escape if they fail to avoid the initial attempt. Drown uses the the normal maneuver system to determine success but also takes Swimming ranks into account. Water Walking and Purify Air also assist in protecting the player from being drown. Drown appears to inflict a short stun with message.
- If you're hunting with a partner, they just need to attack (and connect) against the executioner, which will make it release its victim.
- Tritons will never attempt to use this maneuver on the 3rd floor of Nelemar because none of the rooms there are flooded.
- It is possible to cancel Drown by successfully using Stun Maneuvers to stand up.
An example of an executioner failing an initial drowning attempt and falling to the ground.
A triton executioner comes out of hiding. [SMR result: 38 (Open d100: 58)] A triton executioner hurtles herself at you with great speed, but flies slightly off center of her target and tumbles to the water with a splash! A triton executioner stands up with a grunt.
An example of a successful drowning by an executioner:
A triton executioner comes out of hiding. A triton executioner leaps at you with uncanny agility, and you feel your breath leave you as he slams into you with his full force! You feel yourself careening into the water, your head held back as you desperately gasp for air. Roundtime: 9 sec. You fight desperately against both the triton executioner and your own body's need to breathe. You kick and roll, trying anything to cause the executioner's unrelenting grip to falter, but to no avail. You struggle with all of your fading strength against the executioner, who continues to stare down with a determined resolve, his clammy hands holding you firmly under the water. The last of your strength leaves you, as you give in to the desires of your failing body. Involuntary spasms wrack your muscles while your lungs fill with water, and a cool, serene darkness rapidly overwhelms your senses. His work complete, a triton executioner releases your pallid corpse, allowing it to bob lazily to the surface of the water.
Spawn, death, and decay
A triton executioner stalks in silently, his cold eyes gleaming with hatred. The triton executioner gurgles once and goes still, a wrathful look on her face. The triton executioner collapses to the floor with a splash, gurgling once with a wrathful look on his face before expiring. (2nd floor rooms with water) A triton executioner's slick skin begins to rapidly desiccate and dissolve away, leaving nothing behind. A triton executioner's eyes widen with delight as he smoothly guides his curved black handaxe through the killing blow. (when killing an adventurer)
A triton executioner stalks in silently, his cold eyes gleaming with hatred. A triton executioner strides in, a wary look on her face. A triton executioner strides in, gliding swiftly through the water with a wary look on her face. (2nd floor rooms with water) A triton executioner strides east, a wary look on his face.
A triton executioner slips into hiding. (hides in the room.) A triton executioner comes out of hiding. A triton executioner leaps from hiding to attack! A triton executioner swings a sharply curved black handaxe at you! AS: +433 vs DS: +508 with AvD: +32 + d100 roll: +3 = -40 A clean miss. A triton executioner glances about, a suspicious sneer crossing his face. (searching for hidden player) The triton executioner searches about, muttering with self disgust. (failing to find a hidden player) A triton executioner casts his beady eyes toward you in your hiding place! (finding a hidden player)
Pulling her lips upward, the triton executioner whistles softly through her teeth. Squinting, a triton executioner gazes into the heavens, her head slightly cocked. A triton executioner staggers slightly, swaying about in a daze. (when stunned) You hear a soft whistle coming from somewhere nearby. (can only occur if the executioner is hidden in the room) A triton executioner bows in reverence to a spectral triton defender, her eyes never leaving the ghostly figure. (can only occur if a spectral triton defender is in the same room)
|Near-level creatures - edit|