The official GemStone IV encyclopedia.
The white granite-like features of the greater construct hold no hints of the giant creature's intentions or motivations. Its alabaster skin made more of the hardest rock than any living tissue makes the construct a formidable opponent for any who dare to trifle with it. Massing more than ten giantmen, it is a mountain of rock when in motion and very little, man or animal can oppose its desired path of travel once it is in motion.
- Greater constructs are shielded by a powerful golden aura that prevents magic from reaching them. While incredibly powerful, this aura has its limits, and will become overwhelmed and fade out after absorbing too many physical blows or too many magical spells.
The shimmering gold aura surrounding the greater construct fades and goes out.
- Greater constructs are immune to stuns, the Symbol of Sleep (and possibly all sleep), and will survive deadly critical blows that would prove fatal for most living beings.
- Greater constructs are immune to Implosion (720), and opening a void in the room with one can be deadly to the caster:
A greater construct is slowly drawn into the air, toward the center of the void. However, his weight proves to be too much for the void's grasp, and he crashes back down to the ground. Unfortunately, you were in his landing spot! ... 25 points of damage! Strong blow to your right hand breaks it! You are stunned for 2 rounds!
- Despite their formidable defenses, the right arm and either leg of a greater construct will leave it unable to perform even the simplest action.
A greater construct swings its arms together in an attempt to trap you! Encircled by the two massive arms, you are unable to slip out and are crushed between them. ... 20 points of damage! Good blow to your left leg! You are stunned for 3 rounds!
Maneuvers (team attacks)
- When multiple constructs are in the same room, they are even more deadly. In pairs, they can use a tandem dispel, and in even larger groups, they can violently swat you around.
A greater construct slams against you sending you reeling against the other constructs who bat you away in turn.
... 20 points of damage! Good blow to your right leg! You are stunned for 3 rounds! ... 25 points of damage! Strong shot to your head messes up the brain fatally.
- Greater constructs can prevent characters from dragging items or dead bodies, but only once within a reasonable time frame. Aside from killing the construct, this can be mitigated by severing both of its arms, immobilizing it (such as with Carn's Cry), or goading it into another room, such as through the use of Divert or by sanctifying the current room and hoping its subsequent boredom causes it to walk away.
A greater construct reaches over and grasps you by the neck preventing you from being dragged anywhere.
|Near-level creatures - edit|