Moving quietly on wide, webbed feet, the triton magus seems to slip between the shadows, her damp mottled flesh shifting colors with the surroundings. The creature pauses frequently, her flared nostrils quivering as if seeking beings as nearly invisible as herself. A long row of tiny needle-sharp teeth protrudes from grey gums, visible behind her curled, wet lips. A loose robe in varying shades of grey and green covers the magus, hanging just below her twitching tail.
This section has not been added yet; please add to it now!
- Spawns with a dried seaweed-wrapped longbow and wearing a a mildewed rough leather quiver. In addition, Triton Magus will use one of three different types of arrows as ammunition. After being killed and searched, a bundle of the same type of arrow used by the magus will be left in the room. The number of arrows in the bundle is 10 minus how many the Triton Magus fired.
- a brackish green arrow - no special properties.
- a silver-streaked arrow - lightning flares.
- a sapphire-tipped arrow - cold flares.
- Triton Magus almost always have Natural Colors and Sneaking active at the same time. Adventures that do not have good Perception (1x or more) will not see their movement messages when they enter or exit a room. It is very wise for adventures to watch for the follow phrase to avoid being surprised by an unhidden Triton Magus.
You hear very soft footsteps.
- Just like Triton Executioners, they can hide and sneak from room to room. They prefer to snipe from hiding and can even use Multi-Fire with a good chance of remaining hidden. A Triton Magus can be forced out of hiding by SEARCHing, casting 609, or using an area spell.
- Magus will not cast attack spells from hiding, the will only physically attack.
- Unlike Bandits, Triton Magus attacking from hiding is considered a normal attack. It can be parry, blocked, evaded and does not cause a DS pushdown.
- Triton Magus still gain the benefits of group spells of other Nelemar creatures such as the Siren's Song of Tonis or the Triton Radical's Divine Shield when hidden in the same room.
- SEARCHing uses the normal Perception check to find magus. However, unlike searching for other players, magus that are discovered are automatically pulled from hiding. No pointing necessary.
- Example of some normal searching messages:
>search You don't find anything of interest here. Roundtime: 3 sec. >search You don't find anything of interest here, but you have the funny feeling you are being watched. Roundtime: 3 sec. >search You see signs that something is about, but fail to discover its location in the room. Roundtime: 3 sec. >search You discover the hiding place of a triton magus! Roundtime: 3 sec.
- Triton Magus can use the Multi-Fire combat maneuver to fire 3 arrows at an adventurer. When done from hiding, each shot is a separate check to be revealed and the Triton Magus is skilled enough to not be revealed at all.
Example of Triton Magus using Multi-Fire:
With startling speed, a triton magus draws forth a bundle of arrows and lets loose a volley of shots against you! Sensing an impending attack, you manage to roll hard to the side, and then leap to your feet! A triton magus fires a silver-streaked arrow at you! AS: +441 vs DS: +446 with AvD: +23 + d100 roll: +61 = +79 A clean miss. The silver-streaked arrow flies off to the east! A triton magus fires a silver-streaked arrow at you! You dodge just in the nick of time! The silver-streaked arrow flies off to the east! A triton magus fires a silver-streaked arrow at you! AS: +441 vs DS: +446 with AvD: +23 + d100 roll: +90 = +108 ... and hits for 2 points of damage! Thrust glances off your knee. Might be stiff tomorrow, but it's okay now. ** As a triton magus's silver-streaked arrow hits you, it gives off an electric shock! ** ... 5 points of damage! Light shock to chest. That stings! The electricity carries itself through you and dissipates in the water with a small crackle. The silver-streaked arrow sticks in your right eye!
Example of Triton Magus using Multi-Fire from hiding and not being revealed:
A brackish green arrow flies out of the shadows toward you! AS: +434 vs DS: +333 with AvD: +23 + d100 roll: +53 = +177 ... and hits for 15 points of damage! Minor puncture to the chest. The brackish green arrow ricochets away from you, landing nearby. A brackish green arrow flies out of the shadows toward you! AS: +434 vs DS: +333 with AvD: +23 + d100 roll: +13 = +137 ... and hits for 8 points of damage! Minor puncture to the right arm. Glancing shot. The brackish green arrow flips over, landing behind you. A brackish green arrow flies out of the shadows toward you! AS: +434 vs DS: +333 with AvD: +23 + d100 roll: +8 = +132 ... and hits for 7 points of damage! Minor strike to the neck. Lacking the force and angle to lodge in you, the brackish green arrow simply falls.
- Triton Magus can use the Feint combat maneuver but seem to be really bad at it and will even leaving hiding to use it. They use feint and attack in the same action.
A triton magus comes out of hiding. [Roll result: 48 (open d100: 52)] A triton magus feints to the right, but you aren't fooled for a second. A triton magus removes a brackish green arrow from in her rough leather quiver. A triton magus fires a brackish green arrow at you! AS: +434 vs DS: +366 with AvD: +23 + d100 roll: +61 = +152 ... and hits for 6 points of damage! Minor puncture to the right arm. Glancing shot. The brackish green arrow flips over, landing behind you.
Spawn, death, and decay
The triton magus gurgles once and goes still, a wrathful look on his face. A triton magus's body sinks into the water, quickly scattering and dissolving out of sight.
A triton executioner stalks in silently, his cold eyes gleaming with hatred. A triton executioner strides in, a wary look on her face. A triton executioner strides in, gliding swiftly through the water with a wary look on her face. (2nd floor rooms with water) A triton executioner strides east, a wary look on his face.
A triton magus slips into hiding. (hides in the room.) A triton magus quickly observes his surroundings, scanning for the slightest of movements. (searching for hidden adventurer) A triton magus glances to either side, eyes narrowing as his skin shifts in hue to better match the surroundings. (failing to find a hidden adventurer) A triton magus turns to look directly at you in your hiding place! (finding a hidden adventurer)
A triton magus makes a subtle gesture, drawing traces of faint blue-green light into his webbed hands. A triton magus brings his hands together in front of his chest! (casting defensive spell) A triton magus places one hand on top of the other, crossing her palms toward you! (casting offensive spell)
A triton magus spins a clawed finger in the water, forming small whirlpools.
|Near-level creatures - edit|