A character's profession ("class") defines their general role in GemStone IV. Profession determines how often and how easily skills may be trained per level, and the spells which may be learned. There are currently ten professions from which to choose.
Physical Professions ("Squares")
- Monks are specialists in unarmed combat, enhancing their bodies with mental magic
- Rogues are masters of stealth and ambushing, and can be expert locksmiths
- Warriors are frontline, heavily armored melee fighters
Magical Professions ("Pures")
- Clerics are attuned to spiritual magic aligned with Light or Dark Gods and can raise the dead
- Empaths are spiritual healers with the power to manipulate living matter
- Sorcerers are practitioners of destructive magic, drawing from both elemental and spiritual spheres
- Wizards are masters of elemental magic and can learn to change or reverse the passage of time
The Savant profession has been announced as an additional profession to be released in the future.
Semi-Spell User Professions ("Semis")
- Bards are loremasters who wield elemental magic in the form of spellsongs
- Paladins are armored melee combatants who draw on divine spiritual force to aid their groups in battle
- Rangers are expert hunters who use nature-based spiritual magic and have a special bond with animals