Empaths have the natural ability to transfer wounds from others to their own bodies. They then use their recuperative powers drawn from the spiritual realm of magic to heal themselves. They are rewarded by the gods and their patients as well for such selflessness. Their primary spells concentrate on self-healing, but they also have access to other spells more useful in combat. It is difficult, but not impossible for Empaths to gain skill in weapons and armor, though heavier armor types may adversely affect their ability to cast spells.
All empaths receive the TRANSFER ability, allowing them to take wounds from others onto themselves. They may then use healing spells from the Empath Base circle to heal their own wounds and scars, learning to heal more severe injuries as they gain experience (by level 18, an empath can heal every type of injury). Empaths below level 11 have a multiplier to the amount of experience gained from healing (2x multiplier at level 1 down to 1x at 11+).
Once they have learned the appropriate healing spells, they can also use the CURE ability to target specific injuries on themselves.
The IMPRINT ability allows them to transfer injuries even if the patient is not in the same room.
At level 25, empaths can learn the group spell Troll's Blood (1125), which heals blood loss and minor wounds for free over time.
At level 50, empaths can learn the spell Regeneration (1150), a once-per-day ability that fully heals all injuries instantly, then repeatedly over the next 30 seconds.
Empaths do not receive the same variety of direct attack and disabling spells as other pure spellcasting professions, but their attack magic is very potent against specific types of enemies.
The primary hunting spell of most empaths is Bone Shatter (1106), a direct attack warding spell with a high chance of critical effects against creatures with internal skeletons. At lower levels, there is a massive TD pushdown which aids the less experienced empath.
Higher level empaths can make use of Empathic Link (1117) to potentially attack multiple enemies at once.
Casting strength for empath warding spells is governed solely by Wisdom.
Note: The table above shows baseline statistic growth rates. These values are actually modified for every race in GemStone IV, including humans. For more information, see the page on statistic growth rates.
Balanced spellcasters pick up a wide variety of magical skills, and can be excellent healers and rescuers. They are not as efficient as either pure warders or weapon swingers in combat, but still have enough tools to hunt well in many different environments.
Important skills for a balanced training style:
- Training in core magical skills to increase runestaff defense
- Training Physical Fitness 2 or even 3 times per level early on to increase maximum health for healing, after which it may taper off
- Training Harness Power at least once per level for increased mana. Recommended twice per level up to 40 ranks at level 20, then either once or twice per level afterwards.
- Training in Spell Aiming for Empathic Assault (1110), Fire Spirit (111), and Web (118)
- For offensive casters, recommended lores are Spiritual Lore, Summoning and Mental Lore, Telepathy to improve attacking and disabling spells.
- For dedicated healers, Mental Lore, Transference (to 50 ranks) for scar transfer and Mental Lore, Transformation (to 57 ranks) for quicker self-healing are reasonable choices.
- Research spells to reach Transference (225) and Spirit Guide (130) early for rescues
Pure warding caster
These empaths specialize in offensive warding spells like Bone Shatter (1106) and Wither (1115), and usually wield a runestaff. They will need to be selective in what they hunt, as not all creatures are vulnerable to empathic warding spells. Against the right targets, their spells can be extremely deadly.
Important skills for the warding caster training style:
- Training in core magical skills to increase runestaff defense
- Training Physical Fitness at least once per level, recommended twice per level for maneuver defense
- Training Harness Power at least once per level for increased mana. Recommended twice per level up to 40 ranks at level 20.
- Training very heavily in Empath Base to increase casting strength (CS), with a target of raising the number of spell ranks to at least 21 above character level
- Skip early lore training in favor of learning more spells.
- Eventual lore goals include Spiritual Lore, Summoning for Wither and Spirit Slayer, Mental Lore, Telepathy for disabling spells, and Mental Lore, Manipulation for attack spells.
The reason for training spell ranks to (level + 21) is that the first 21 ranks give +16 CS, while every rank thereafter gives only gives +0.5 CS due to diminishing returns.
Further information: Empath Guide#Training Style: Pure Warding Caster
These empaths will rely heavily on weapons, oftentimes specializing in heavier types such as polearms or two handed weapons. Melee combat may or may not be supplemented with offensive magic spells. Training in peripheral magical skills is usually kept to a minimum to spend more on skills that will aid in combat.
Important skills for the swinging training style:
- Training once per level in a weapon skill of choice
- Depending on chosen weapon style, training in Shield Use may also be an option
- Training Physical Fitness at least 2 times per level to increase maximum health and stamina
- Maintaining a 1 time per level training in Empath spells to increase offensive AS from Empath spells
- Training heavily in the Major Spiritual circle early on, to learn Bravery (211) and Heroism (215) quickly
- Training to fit into higher armors is an option for this training style, due to the less regular use of spells
- Training in Combat Maneuvers as often as possible
|CMAN||Rank 1||Rank 2||Rank 3||Rank 4||Rank 5|
Alchemy recipes exclusive to empaths include:
- greater and full health potions
- stamina potions
- enhancive stamina regeneration crystals
- enhancive constitution crystals
- enhancive strength crystals
- turbid aquamarine potion containing Adrenal Surge
- deep green volatile elixir counteracting motion sickness from Spirit Guide
- slender ivory wand embedded with Bone Shatter
- faceted amethyst wand embedded with Empathic Assault
- glimmering sanguine potion to remove ensorcell
- Empath Announcements
- Developer's Corner - Empaths
- General Discussion
- So You Want to be an Empath?
- Roleplaying an Empath
- Empath Spells
- Hunting Strategies
- Guild Discussions
- Empath Banter
- A beginner's guide to playing an empath
- Empath training suggestions (guide)
- Tsalim's two-handed empath guide
- Eillie's (very old) Empath Guide
|Empath Profession - edit|
|Spell Circles: Empath Base Spells | Minor Spiritual Spells | Major Spiritual Spells|
|Professional Highlights: Healing|
|Popular Archetypes: Healer | Pure Warder | Weapon User|
|Profession - edit|
|Squares: Rogue | Warrior | Monk|
|Semis: Bard | Paladin | Ranger|
|Pures: Cleric | Empath | Sorcerer | Wizard|