The official GemStone IV encyclopedia.
God of the Oceans, Storms and Revolution
Charl is the God of the Sea. Living apart from his brethren, he dwells constantly in the seas of Elanthia, joining the other Gods only when Koar commands. Legend holds that Koar once had to send for Charl six times before he appeared. When Koar demanded to know why he was so disobedient, Charl replied that he was always the most obedient of Koar's servants, but that the waters of the six oceans of the world flowed through his veins, and none could come without the others.
Charl is a dark and violent god, and is renowned for his drastic mood swings. He cares little for the land dwelling races on Elanthia, and is as likely to swat a nearby ship with a storm as he is to let it pass untouched. Because of this he is feared by seamen, and few pray to him for fear they might attract his attention. For the same reason clerics serving Charl, although seldom welcome, rarely come to harm in any place frequented by seamen.
He is also the god of storms of all sorts, and more than one despotic tyrant, overthrown by an angry mob marching under a stormy sky, has sworn that it was Charl's hand that laid him low.
Some clergy contend that Charl is at heart a God of Darkness. Still, there is little doubt that he swears fealty to Koar, and for that reason, if for no other, he is numbered with the Gods of Light.
Charl's preferred humanoid manifestation is that of a towering man with a beard of seaweed and algae, blue and grey robes, wielding a trident. Charl rarely appears except in the sea or the heart of a storm. His lower half is a fish's tail. In manner, he is stern, angry and quick-tempered. His symbol is an emerald trident on a field of blue.
Shrines, Statuary, and Holy Places
Charl's Shrine, Wehnimer's Landing
| [The Sea's Judge]
| Water dances about you in lazy waves as you float in this underground pool. The chamber above is domed and uncommonly smooth, and there are no visible exits save for the opening you just swam through. Looking upward, the most prominent thing visible is an enormous statue of white coral tinged with blue flecks. The statue's form glares down at you with impassive, seemingly harsh, blue eyes. You also see a polished mother-of-pearl dais.
| Obvious exits: none
The form depicted by the statue is that of a merman carrying a massive trident held high above him. It is wrought from solid gold and its points are set with huge emeralds that glow brightly, bathing the room in a soft, green glow. His visage is rather unsettling. As you gaze upward, he stares back at you with fierce eyes that seem to carry the power of all the seas behind them.
Looking at the dais more closely you notice that it is actually a very large seashell, upended so that its inside is on top, this exposing the beautiful mother-of-pearl inner lining. The surface shimmers in the emerald light and emits a soft glow of its own.
You close your eyes and give in to the soft motion of the water beneath you. Floating quietly, you offer a brief prayer to the gods.
Charl's shrine is located outside of Wehnimer's Landing, just east of the Black Sands. It plays an important role in one of the steps along the Path to Enlightenment in the Order of Voln.
- Random messaging inside the shrine
A dolphin suddenly leaps out of the water before you, turning several cartwheels in the air before disappearing underneath the surface in a quiet splash.
A dolphin surfaces nearby, chittering at you whimsically. It pauses for a moment, cocking its head at you before quietly swimming away.
A bright, blue-shelled hermit crab pokes its head out from behind the statue, then begins to strut out onto the statue's shoulder as if it owns the thing. Upon seeing you, it darts back from whence it came with surprising speed and agility. You begin to hear several agitated clicking noises coming from its general direction.
Something underneath the water brushes against your leg briefly before swimming away. You listen a moment, and begin to hear faint chittering and clicking noises reverberating all around. Out of the corner of your eye, the statue's form seems to soften somewhat, but when you turn to look fully you see only the same angry stare.
Suddenly a dolphin's tail rises out of the water nearby. The tail seems to wave at you briefly then comes crashing down, sending water splashing in all directions, with a good portion drenching you entirely.
The emerald points in the trident flare briefly, intensifying the glow in the chamber. You look upward to the statue, and notice that it seems to be staring directly at you with a startling intensity. As the emerald glow slowly returns to normal you glance back at the form in apprehension, but you sense no true malice from it, only a firm resolve.
The emerald points in the statue's trident flicker briefly. After a moment they return to their normal brilliance.
The motion of the wavelets relaxes you, and you lean back to float in their embrace for a moment, calmly closing your eyes.
Just through the entranceway of the Solhaven Cleric Guild was a pair of granite statues depicting Niima and Charl together. It was not considered a holy place.
Torches held in polished steel rings illuminate the area, shedding cheerful light over the two statues in the center of the room. Carved from solid granite, a teenaged girl with a mischievous grin rests her hand on the arm of a bearded man with a fish's tail. They stand on a sea-blue pedestal with words carved into the surface.
Charl towers over the room, wielding a massive coral-inset trident. Instead of his usual angry expression, however, he wears a softer expression as he looks over his shoulder at his grinning daughter. Her hand rests on his arm, as if attempting to curb his temper.
The pedestal beneath the statues reads, "In the ebb and flow of our prayers comes hope as well as despair."
In one of the Prayer Rooms in the Solhaven Cleric Guild was a statue dedicated to Charl. It was considered a holy shrine.
Although the statue is small, the carved image of stern Charl suggests a towering man wielding a trident. His long beard of seaweed and algae flows back over his robed shoulder. The tail of a fish peaks from beneath the hem of his robe.
You reach out and touch the statue of Charl.
A warm feeling washes over you, as if Charl smiled upon you.
Located in the Antechamber of Liabo is a table inset with disks depicting all of the Liabo arkati, including one for Charl. This area is not considered a holy shrine.
An emerald trident on a field of blue is painted on the crystal disk representing Charl.
One of the Halls of Lessons in the River's Rest Cleric Guild is dedicated to Charl. The statue is identical to that in the other Cleric Guilds. It is considered a holy shrine.
| [Cleric Guild, Hall of Lessons]
| The surroundings of the room have been tinted a soft aquamarine shade, and a large blue glaes-paneled lantern sways softly from above, casting a rippling oceanic light upon the chamber. Faint stylized images of fish, whales, and other creatures of the deep are engraved on the floor, each encircling an altar of coral. A statue of a man wielding a trident seems to flow out from the walls, his gaze over the area an unmistakably stern one.
| Obvious exits: southeast
Carved from a block of large sea-green coral, the altar is unadorned aside from a small open tome upon its surface.
In the Common language, it reads:
"Charl is as stern and unwavering as the sea itself. Use caution when invoking his blessings, for his attentions can be as powerful and dangerous as a raging storm."
There is a niche in one of the Alchemy workshops inside the River's Rest Cleric Guild dedicated to Charl. This area is not considered a holy shrine.
The faint sound of flowing water fills the room from the direction of the windows and is accompanied by the sound of wind tugging on unseen leaves and branches. A small altar rests in a niche in one corner.
Built from sun-bleached coral, the altar is bare but for a bronze trident set upright in its center. Several seashells decorate the niche around the altar, offering a color contrast to the white coral.
- To add messaging, see deity messaging.
- [1p cleric] You chant a reverent orison, asking for the power of a squall to manifest in you by Charl's hand.
- [3p cleric] CLERIC chants a short but reverent orison, asking for the power of a squall to manifest in him.
- [1p paladin] You bow your head and chant a short prayer to Charl, causing sea blue and emerald light to momentarily coalesce in front of you.
- [3p paladin] PALADIN bows his head and chants a short prayer, causing sea blue and emerald light to momentarily coalesce in front of him.
|Major Sanctuary (220)
- Whipping winds carry the hot, metallic taste of lightning to you as your surroundings blur...
| [Eye of the Storm Sanctuary]
| Protected within the eye of the storm, the waters of the grey chamber lap gently at your feet. Beyond the calm and quiet of the sanctuary is a raging hurricane of whipping winds and lightning streaked skies. Directly above, the sky is clear and the quiet sounds of a gull drift to your ears.
- The blinding flash of lightning shatters the chamber in a cloud of wind and light, causing it to dissolve around you...
|Well of Life (308)
- As you sense your souls have linked together, your skin tingles with electrical energy.
- [Success] An ear-splitting crack of thunder staggers TARGET!
- [Failure] A distant roll of thunder gives TARGET pause, but nothing comes of it.
- [Damage] Lightning spears down from overhead and sears TARGET for X points of damage!
- [Debuff end] The growl of thunder high above TARGET fades away.
- [1p] As your faith overcomes TARGET's weakened defenses, you sense the fury and violence of the Lord of the Seas flowing through you.
- [2p] This section has not been added yet; please add to it now!
- [1p] Turning your thoughts inward, you ask for the wrath of your deity to protect you. The scent of brine and lightning-struck sand surrounds you, and you sense that your prayer has been granted.
- [3p] Brilliant white light flickers in CASTER's eyes.
- For your transgressions, a thousand storms shall be raised against you, and lightning shall rain across your path and all you love!
|Raise Dead (318)
- [1p] Moisture beads upon your skin and you feel your eyes cloud over with the darkness of a rising storm. Power builds upon the air, and when you utter the last syllable of your spell thunder rumbles from your lips. The sound ripples upon the air, colliding with TARGET's prone form, and a brilliant flash transfers the spiritual energy between you.
- [2p] Moisture beads upon your skin as CASTER's eyes cloud over with the darkness of a rising storm. Power builds upon the air, causing the dead hair upon your arms to rise, and as CASTER utters the last words of her spell you hear the rumble of thunder in her voice. The rolling sound ripples upon the air and collides with your chest an instant before a brilliant flash suffuses you with raw spiritual energy.
- [3p] Moisture beads on the skin of CASTER and TARGET as the former's eyes cloud over with the darkness of a rising storm. Power builds upon the air, causing the hair upon your arms to rise, and as CASTER utters the last words of his spell you hear the rumble of thunder in his voice. The rolling sound collides with TARGET's prone form, its very touch creating a brilliant flash that suffuses her in raw spiritual energy.
- an opague emerald trident talisman
- Thunder breaks overhead with a deafening roar, and you are assaulted by the sharp scent of seawater. Blue sparks leap up from the ground, leaving jagged afterimages hovering in your vision for several moments after the lights themselves are gone.
|Divine Wrath (335)
- As you pour your soul into an appeal to Charl, you know that you are heard. A briny gust of sea breeze swirls around you, infusing the air with the scent of the sea and droplets of saltwater.
- A deafening thunderclap splits the air! Rather than fading away, the sound's echoes grow, and they gather into a rhythmic, crashing pulse like the sound of storm-tossed waves breaking on a desolate shore. The power of Charl has answered your prayer.
- The sounds of crashing waves increase to an almost deafening level until, suddenly, a powerful wave surges into the area, violently slamming directly into TARGET.
- White sparks flicker around you, and you sense electrical energy gathering in the instant before a massive bolt of lightning spears toward TARGET.
- A final rumble of thunder rolls through the area, and, as its last echoes fade away, your skin ceases to tingle as your connection to Charl lessens.
- [Look Caster]
- This section has not been added yet; please add to it now!
|Symbol of the Proselyte (340)
- [Cast] You rest your hand atop your Charl symbol. A roiling wave of light crashes over your hand, and the symbol, bathing both in a wash of blue and green.
- [Chant] You chant a reverent orison and lightly clasp your emerald trident talisman. A rush of divine power washes over you. Your talisman pulses once and you feel the power of Charl gathering within you like a storm.
- [1p] As the air stirs, you feel your spirit drawn to the heavy scent of the ocean and feel a deep sense of peace. Clouds move into the area, their murky depths heavy with rain unshed and you can see lightning dancing within them. The pressure builds all around you until suddenly, the heavens release dozens of slender blue bands of lightning. The lightning fills your body with its energy and the very air around you seems to tingle with it. Moments later, the lightning is gone and the clouds soon follow.
- [3p] Laden with the scent of the ocean, a wind moves through the area drawing with it dark clouds heavy with rain. Lightning dances in the murky depths, outlining the edges of the cloud with its blue glow. Suddenly, lightning strikes the ground around the prone form of CLERIC and dances across his skin. Seconds pass while you remain under the glow of the electrical ballet playing out upon CLERIC, and then slowly the clouds disappear, taking the lightning with them.
|Guard the Meek (1613)
- [1p] This section has not been added yet; please add to it now!
|Divine Strike (1615)
- [1p] A pillar of ocean blue radiance manifests around TARGET.
- [2p] This section has not been added yet; please add to it now!
- [3p] CASTER's eyes glow with storm grey light, and a glimmering pillar of ocean blue radiance manifests around TARGET.
|Aid the Fallen (1620)
- A radiant sea blue beacon encompassed by a translucent emerald corona rapidly descends from above, striking TARGET in the chest. It soon expands to encompass his entire body before finally beginning to wane. The beacon shines brightly one last time and tapers into nonexistence, taking TARGET with it.
- You briefly close your eyes, and the very air behind you ripples like a storm-ravaged ocean. A faint emerald light builds up and emanates from your hand before it takes the shape of an ethereal trident!
- A chain of lightning erupts from the tip of the ethereal trident, striking TARGET!
- The ethereal trident dissolves into a spray of seawater.
- This section has not been added yet; please add to it now!
|Divine Incarnation (1650)
- [Cast 1p] This section has not been added yet; please add to it now!
- [Cast 3p]
- [Expiration 1p]
- [Expiration 3p]
- [Zeal 1p]
- [Zeal 3p]
- [Armor 1p]
- [Armor 3p]
- [Smite 1p]
- [Smite 3p]
- [Onslaught 1p]
- [Onslaught 3p]