|Vengeance, The Hunt
|a silver eight-pointed star on a field of black
Illustration of the Huntress - Arachne legend, as rendered by HATESHI
Patroness of Vengeance and The Hunt
The Huntress is the patroness of vengeance and the hunt. She is the dire enemy of Arachne, and often comes into conflict with Eorgina. She is not an Arkati, but an immortal spirit.
Once mortal, the Huntress was granted her immortality by an unknown deity, be it Arkati or other. She once was the bodyguard of a great king, but ran afoul of the king's wife. The queen was jealous of the Huntress' beauty, and enlisted the aid of the Huntress' second Arachne, the bodyguard of the queen, to bring the Huntress down.
In a vile plot, the Huntress was convicted and exiled to death in the deserts. But the Huntress survived, if only barely, and under the influence of arachnid poison experienced a religious epiphany which made her immortal. Swearing revenge upon the queen, she returned to the city from which she had been exiled to make things right.
She found Arachne in the dungeons, and reconciled with her. Together, they moved to the bedchambers to slay the queen. But when the Huntress struck the killing blow, Arachne in turn betrayed the Huntress by killing her, and bent to drink the immortal blood. A black widow spider bit Arachne upon the lip, turning her into a horrid spider-faced creature.
The Huntress' preferred humanoid manifestation is that of a woman of surpassing beauty dressed in silver chainmail. Her face is always a mask of carefully-controlled anger, and she always holds a scythe at the ready. In manner, she is quiet and angry. Her symbol is a silver eight-pointed star on a field of black.
Shrines, Statuary, and Holy Places
The Ancient Altar, which was used for praying to The Huntress, was located through the magical green barrier in the River Tunnels located under the city of River's Rest.
The altar is constructed of an odd black rock, the type of which you have never seen before. It has been carved into the form of a female humanoid with catlike features. As you move about the room, the pointed ears and slitted eyes seem to follow your movements. She holds extended horizontally in her hands a vicious looking scythe, perhaps on which to place offerings. Inscribed in the ancient common tongue on the base of the altar is one word . . . "Huntress".
Displayed in the Prayer Rooms of each Cleric Guild is a statue of the Huntress. These prayer rooms are considered a holy shrine to multiple deities.
The visage of the Huntress is of surpassing beauty, yet her expression of implacable, controlled anger mutes its attractiveness. She is clad in chainmail and carries a wickedly curved scythe at the ready. She glances slightly over her shoulder, alert to the possibility of attack.
You reach out and touch the statue of the Huntress.
Your limbs tingle with a faint suppressed anger. "When wronged, what honor have you if you do not avenge yourself upon those that wronged you? What honor have we if we do not aid those that cannot avenge themselves? It is a sacred trust, more sacred than any, and we shall be the ones that keep it."
Located in the Antechamber of Others is a statue of the Huntress. This area is not considered a holy shrine.
Quite detailed in its rendering, this statue depicts a woman of surpassing beauty dressed in silver chainmail. Her visage is stern, almost angry, and she holds a scythe at the ready. Upon the base of the statue is her symbol, a silver eight-pointed star on a field of black.
There is a niche in one of the Alchemy workshops inside the River's Rest Cleric Guild dedicated to the Huntress.
A large dead spider lies in the corner of the room, its legs curled up and over its body, just beneath a niche set into the wall.
An eight-pointed tarnished metal star sits immediately above the niche, and inside, rests a simple stone altar. The stone, sliced in half and polished, is carved with the likeness of a woman with feline features.
Twilight Hall, Bleeds' Room
The room of Bleeds in Twilight Hall is a holy shrine.
|[Twilight Hall, Bleeds' Room]
|Walls of gleaming obsidian arch seamlessly into the ceiling of this room to form a smooth, black dome. Thousands of shiny silver points glimmer in the firmament above, all of them dwarfed in size by a large, eight-pointed star which shines at the zenith. A web of filigreed silver emanates from the larger star to touch each of the smaller ones in turn, giving the appearance of a large spider's web arching protectively over the heavens. You also see some black pillows, a small obsidian altar, an obsidian statue and some deep red leather armor.
|Obvious exits: none
The onyx tablet in Vipershroud is a holy shrine.
|A single, giant, petrified redwood stands amongst lesser pines and firs. A deep black, onyx tablet displaying an eight-pointed star of pure silver is firmly imbedded in the tree, and a row of small stones, carefully placed end-to-end, encircles the tree. A large bouquet of trumpet flowers and the carcass of a woodchuck have been laid at the tree's base. Interestingly, both offerings seem to be fresh.
|Obvious paths: up
- To add messaging, see deity messaging.
- [1p cleric] You chant a reverent orison, asking The Huntress to deliver rightful vengeance upon the deserving.
- [3p cleric] CLERIC chants a short but reverent orison, asking to have rightful vengeance delivered upon the deserving.
- [1p paladin] You bow your head and chant a short prayer to The Huntress, causing intense silver and glossy black light to momentarily coalesce in front of you.
- [3p paladin] PALADIN bows her head and chants a short prayer, causing intense silver and glossy black light to momentarily coalesce in front of her.
|Major Sanctuary (220)
- The blast of a horn rises on the air and your vision is suddenly obscured by rapid movement that you can't pinpoint...
|[Sanctuary of the Hunt]
|Tall and imposing, aspen and modwir trees form a thick ring around a clearing covered in knee-high grass. Positioned before a babbling brook is a black willow tree glossy with strange signs of petrification. Carved into the now nearly crystalline bark are various scenes of the wild hunt, together forming a circle about an eight-pointed star.
- Three short blasts of a horn make the trees around you vibrate and their leaves fall upon you in a cascade of color that obscures your vision...
|Well of Life (308)
- As you sense your souls have linked together, you hear the distinct, controlled swish of a long blade cutting through the air.
- [Success] The air around TARGET vibrates with the low, strident blast of a hunting horn!
- [Failure] A distant horn blast gives TARGET pause, but nothing comes of it.
- [Damage] Misty figures with vengeful, star-bright eyes course past TARGET, slashing (him/her/it) for X points of damage!
- [Debuff end] The ethereal hunters veer off from TARGET and fade away.
- [1p] As your faith overcomes TARGET's weakened defenses, you sense the cold, exquisitely controlled anger of the Huntress flowing through you.
- [2p] CASTER's face shimmers and vanishes, and, in its place, you see the image of a surpassingly beautiful woman whose face is a mask of carefully controlled anger. A silvery scythe blade curves alongside her face, and the reflection across the mirror-polished surface displays the eight-pointed star Krr'ska. Light flashes from the scythe blade into your eyes, and then everything goes black.
- [1p] Turning your thoughts inward, you ask for the anger of your deity to protect you. For an instant, all around you is silvered by starlight to your eyes, and you sense that your prayer has been granted.
- [3p] This section has not been added yet; please add to it now!
- For your transgressions, all those with cause against you shall have the strength of a hundred men apiece. Their hands will be guided divinely for true strikes and fatal blows, and the sands shall drink your life's blood without mercy.
|Raise Dead (318)
- [1p] Crouching beside the prone form of TARGET, you softly issue the last syllable of your chant. Breathing deeply, you take in the scents around you and let the feel of your surroundings infuse you. With only your gaze, you track the area and recreate the circumstances of TARGET's death within your mind. Touching TARGET, you follow the lines of the web that holds his soul in place and force it back into his body. Raw energy courses through you and you feel your sense of justice and vengeance filling TARGET with life.
- [2p] Crouching beside your prone form, CASTER softly issues the last syllables of his chant and takes a deep breath. Calmness steals over his features, and as he lifts his eyes to the surroundings, you are reminded of a wild animal tracking its prey. Slowly, and with deliberate movement, CASTER's gaze slips over your body and you feel him reach out to you. With force, CASTER slams your soul back into your body and the transference of raw energy that brings you back to life is filled with justice and vengeance.
- [3p] Crouching beside TARGET's prone form, CASTER softly issues the last syllables of his chant and takes a deep breath. Calmness steals over his features, and as he lifts his eyes to the surroundings, you are reminded of a wild animal tracking its prey. Slowly, and with deliberate movement, CASTER's gaze slips over TARGET's body and you watch as he plucks something that only he can see from the air. With force, CASTER slams his fist into TARGET's body and the raw energy transfers between them is filled with justice and vengeance
- an eight-tined lapis star symbol
- Anger surges through you, boiling up from within and threatening to burst into violence. You bring your rage under control through sheer force of will and are rewarded by a growing sense of purpose. Though the unnaturally strong emotion drains away in minutes, your newly-won focus remains.
|Divine Wrath (335)
- As you pour your soul into an appeal to the Huntress, you feel briefly sick and dizzy as you sense a flow of venom pulsing through your arteries and veins. The sickness and venom vanish entirely after only a second, and you feel more awake and alert.
- Silvery light briefly glimmers over everything that surrounds you, and a wave of carefully controlled anger that is not your own emotion tunes your pulse to a low, steady thrumming. You are little more than a channel for the source of the emotion that stares around through your eyes. The power of the Huntress has answered your prayer.
- A silver-bladed scythe materializes from thin air, spinning end over end as it hurtles toward TARGET!
- As your connection to the Huntress lessens, the foreign anger that lent you strength passes from your body as well, and your heartbeat returns to its regular pace.
- [Look Caster]
|Symbol of the Proselyte (340)
- [Cast] This section has not been added yet; please add to it now!
- [1p] Filling your spirit with a deep anger, a long discordant horn blast drowns your senses and sets your lifeless flesh to vibrating with its wild call. An enormous hunting hound bearing an angry look of focus bounds towards you. You feel its front paws forcibly slam into your chest and watch the beast disappear deep within you with the cry of a wild hunt falling from its parted lips. Slowly, the sound of the horn echoes into silence.
- [3p] The area comes to life with the defiant call of a long discordant horn blast. An enormous hunting hound bearing an angry look of focus bounds into the area and launches itself at CLERIC. Slamming forcibly into her chest, the beast disappears into her with a cry of a wild hunt. Slowly, the sound of the horn echoes into silence.
|Aid the Fallen (1613)
- [1p] This section has not been added yet; please add to it now!
- You briefly close your eyes, and an eight-pointed star is momentarily outlined on the ground underneath your feet. A faint silver light builds up and emanates from your hand before it takes on the shape of an ethereal scythe!
- A sweep of silver essence slashes out from the blade of the ethereal scythe, striking TARGET!
- The ethereal scythe liquefies and disappears before it hits the ground.
- CASTER briefly closes his eyes, and an eight-pointed star is momentarily outlined on the ground underneath his feet. A faint silver light builds up and emanates from CASTER's hand before it takes on the shape of an ethereal scythe, and CASTER thrusts it forward!
- A sweep of silver essence slashes out from the blade of the ethereal scythe, striking TARGET!
|Divine Incarnation (1650)
- [Cast 1p] Your vision is overcome by a great and endless desert. Though survival is impossible here, a promise of vengeance feeds you, quenches you, drives you. The vision clears, but the thirst for blood remains.
- [Cast 3p] XXX's eyes appear to lose focus for a moment as she gazes into the distance. A bloody eight-pointed star digs itself into her forehead as if cut there by some invisible dagger, and a grim determination settles upon her visage.
- [Expiration 1p] You sense yourself in the desert once more, your every sense heightened by the desperate drive to live another day. You feel the power of The Huntress wane, and your vision of the desert dissipates, but the feeling remains.
- [Expiration 3p] As XXX gazes into the distance, the bloody eight-pointed star disappears from her forehead, stroke by stroke, as if un-carved by an invisible dagger.
- [Zeal 1p] You beseech your patron for combat prowess as faintly silver glow begins to take form, swirling violently around you.
- [Zeal 3p] XXX beseeches her patron as faintly silver glow begins to take form, swirling violently around her.
- [Armor 1p] Your vision is overcome by a cave littered with the broken bodies of spiders. You take their limbs and drink of them, invigorated by their venomous entrails. A bloody haze enshrouds you, protecting you from your enemies.
- [Armor 3p] XXX's limbs tense as the sound of chittering can be heard in the distance. A blood red haze materializes to enshroud Svantai, protecting her from her enemies.
- [Smite 1p] You supplicate the Huntress to guide your weapon well. She responds by enshrouding your skull-crusher in a blood red haze, its tendrils licking the air violently, ready to slash at a black forest viper as you raise it to strike!
- [Smite 3p] XXX dictates a spiteful prayer, and a blood red haze enshrouds her skull-crusher in response, its tendrils licking the air violently, ready to slash at a black forest viper as she raises it to strike!
- [Onslaught 1p] A predatory instinct infuses you as you look upon your enemies. You thirst for their blood, and the Huntress hears your call. As you begin to attack, you feel her power guide your every strike and riposte, inspired by her quest for endless vengeance!
- [Onslaught 3p] XXX adopts a predatory posture as she looks upon her enemies. She begins to attack, her every strike and riposte inspired by a dark and holy power!