The official GemStone IV encyclopedia.
God of Justice, Loyalty and Law
Koar is the King of the Gods. Once, he ruled all the Arkati and he is still the titular head of both the Light and Dark Gods. In practice, however, his direct control is only over the Gods of Light. Not since the fall of the Drakes in the Ur-Daemon War has Koar rallied all the gods to him, and none knows for sure if he could unify the Arkati now, no matter the cause. Still, it is said that as long as Koar lives, the Gods of Light and Dark will never face each other in open war.
Legend holds that Koar sits on a great throne carved from the stone heart of the world extending up through the tallest mountain in Elanthia. He rarely leaves his throne, and spends most of his time slumbering or brooding. Even when he sleeps, one eye is always slightly open, and while Koar may not intervene in the affairs of gods or mortals often, there is little that escapes his notice.
The sages say that the mountains of Elanthia rise and fall as Koar's brow furrows. One day, it is said, when the Gods of Darkness no longer vex their king, and when mortals no longer wage petty wars, the mountains will sink back into the ground and all the world will be a fertile plain. Earthquakes are attributed to Koar shifting restlessly, and before Koar's brow is smoothed, legend holds he will rise from his throne in wrath, shaking the greatest fortresses to rubble. The prophecy is silent as to who or what will be the object of his ire.
Some common folk believe that Koar is not an Arkati, but actually the last of the Great Drakes. No one living can confirm this notion, however.
Koar's blessing is often invoked during coronation ceremonies, and it is not uncommon for rulers to claim that their particular right to reign bears Koar's approval.
Koar's preferred humanoid manifestation is that of a huge man upon a throne, wearing a gold crown, contemplating the fate of all things. In manner, he is commanding, detached, or weary. His symbol is a golden crown, often set on a circle of white.
Shrines, Statuary, and Holy Places
From Liabo Plaza: Go Arch, Go Column, W, NW
| [Fane of the God-King, Shrine]
| Nestled between a halo of blossoming lilies and the bright wall of the compound is an altar of roughly carved stone, the space before it littered with offerings. Grass grows green and tall behind the tiny shrine, but the area leading up to it is worn down to dark earth.
| Obvious paths: southeast
Flecks of gold glisten from the face of the altar, which is carved in primitive fashion. Etched clouds swirl about a stylized sun, its rays of light striking down at the peaks of snow-capped jagged mountains. A tiny bronze plaque adorns the altar's forward face.
>l on altar
On the stone altar you see a tiny bronze plaque.
In the Common language, it reads:
My lord's cares are as the world itself.
When furrows His brow, the mountains rise.
Ta'Vaalor, Hall of the Arkati
The local temple of Ta'Vaalor, the Hall of the Arkati, has an altar dedicated to Koar. It is considered a holy shrine.
| [Hall of the Arkati, Altar]
| Golden light filters into the chamber from a diamond-paned glaesine skylight high above. Raw silk carpets cover the floor and the pale undecorated walls have the smooth ivory gleam of aged lime plaster. A carved haon altar sits upon a small dais. Atop the altar, a lone white candle burns steadily.
| Obvious exits: east
>look at altar
Topped with a slab of pure white marble, the altar is carved of pale silvery-blue haon. Each corner of the piece is carved in a stylized representation of the Arkati Koar.
Displayed in the Prayer Rooms of each Cleric Guild is a statue of Koar. These prayer rooms are considered a holy shrine to multiple deities.
Despite the small size of the statue it's clear this is the image of a huge man sitting on a huge throne. A crown, elegant in its simplicity, graces his solemn brow. He rests his chin on one of his massive fists and stares out at you with weary detachment.
You reach out and touch the statue of Koar.
A warm feeling washes over you, as if Koar smiled upon you.
Located in the Antechamber of Liabo is a table inset with disks depicting all of the Liabo arkati, including one for Koar. This area is not considered a holy shrine.
A dazzling golden crown set on a field of pure white is painted on the large, plate-sized crystal disk representing Koar.
The shrine is located north of the entrance, in a tall stone rotunda.
| [Light of the Godking]
| A warm halo of sunlight filters through the crystalline dome above, each facet of the glass casting a bright golden mosaic along the textured stone floor. The smooth stone walls of the shrine are enameled with the image of a large golden crown. A track of worn, ashen grey carpet begins at the double doors and divides the chamber until ending just before a wide stone dais. Upon the raised platform is a high altar crafted from blood marble, its soft white surface speckled with sanguine motes.
| Obvious exits: none
- To add messaging, see deity messaging.
- [1p cleric] You chant a reverent orison, asking for justice to be served by Koar's hand.
- [3p cleric] CLERIC chants a short but reverent orison, asking for justice to be served.
- [1p paladin] You bow your head and chant a short prayer to Koar, causing golden and white light to momentarily coalesce in front of you.
- [3p paladin] PALADIN bows his head and chants a short prayer, causing golden and white light to momentarily coalesce in front of him.
|Major Sanctuary (220)
- Warm and richly scented, the air around you shifts and your vision is filled with an emerald light...
| [Heart of the World Sanctuary]
| Emerald veins brighten the dark stone walls and trace a spindly path to the roof, which is riddled with stalactites. A soft sound echoes through the vast cavern as condensation drips from the ceiling to join with the mineral pools that speckle the landscape. Rising and falling as if from a mighty breath, the air sighs through the chamber and you are filled with the presence of antiquity.
- A single drop falls from a nearby stalactite, your vision captivated by its descent. As it enters the mineral pool at your feet your vision explodes and the world around you dissolves...
|Well of Life (308)
- As you sense your souls have linked together, for only an instant, you glimpse the flows of mana coursing around you.
- [Success] A single deep, resonant tone reverberates through the area, commanding TARGET's attention!
- [Failure] A brassy gleam flickers around TARGET, but nothing comes of it.
- [Damage] TARGET is bathed in the brazen light of judgement and suffers X points of damage!
- [Debuff end] The last lingering shiver of metallic sound surrounding TARGET fades away.
- [1p] As your faith overcomes TARGET's weakened defenses, you sense the majesty of the King of the Gods flowing through you.
- [2p] CASTER's face shimmers and vanishes, and, in its place, you see the image of an ancient man wearing a majestic crown of pure light. The lines of his face are weary, and a great, snow-white beard flows from his chin, but his heavy-lidded blue eyes transfix you with their power. Divine radiance blazes around the image, and you are blinded.
- [1p] Turning your thoughts inward, you ask for the justice of your deity to protect you. The ground trembles almost imperceptibly underfoot, and you sense that your prayer has been granted.
- [3p] Intense golden topaz light blazes in CASTER's eyes.
- For your transgressions, you shall be judged, and the verdict shall fall against you. In all the world, from sky to earth, there is no sanctuary against that high judgement....
|Raise Dead (318)
- [1p] With each passing moment during your slow chant, the thrum of power begins to flood your very being, pulsing through your veins like crackling electricity. The overwhelming sensation liberates your mind from the trivial details of mortal life. You fold your right arm over and rest your chin upon your hand while gazing down at the lifeless corpse of TARGET, contemplating his existence. Blinking once, you thrust your hand over TARGET, and the raw power escapes your body through your fingertips, flowing into him.
- [2p] With each passing moment during CASTER's slow chant, his eyes flutter rhythmically. He folds his right arm and rests his chin upon his hand, then gazes down at you, as if contemplating your very existence. Blinking once, CASTER thrusts his hand over you, and crackling, raw power flows from CASTER's fingertips into your body, jolting you back to life.
- [3p] With each passing moment during CASTER's slow chant, his eyes flutter rhythmically. He folds his right arm and rests his chin upon his hand, then gazes down at the lifeless corpse of TARGET, as if contemplating his existence. Blinking once, CASTER thrusts his hand over TARGET, and crackling raw power flows from CASTER's fingertips into TARGET.
- a rich golden topaz crown talisman
- The air about you fills with a harsh light, every line you view through it sharply defined. A commanding and implacable gaze weighs heavily upon you, humbling you even as it fills you with a quiet pride. The sensation of being watched passes, but in its wake you are stronger and more firm in your resolve.
|Divine Wrath (335)
- As you pour your soul into an appeal to Koar, you know that you are heard. Heady power washes through your body as divine golden light encircles you.
- The ground shivers and trembles restlessly underfoot, and you sense incredible power and strength focusing upon your surroundings. The power of Koar has answered your prayer.
- The ground shakes powerfully directly underneath TARGET as a beam of golden light lances away from you to transfix TARGET.
- Your connection to Koar lessens, and the divine light fades around you. The ground shudders one last time before falling still.
- An aura of divine golden light blazes into existence around CASTER.
- The ground shakes powerfully directly underneath TARGET as a beam of golden light lances away from CASTER to transfix TARGET.
- (missing end messaging)
- [Look Caster]
- This section has not been added yet; please add to it now!
|Symbol of the Proselyte (340)
- [Cast] This section has not been added yet; please add to it now!
- [Chant] You chant a reverent orison and lightly clasp your crown symbol. A rush of divine power washes over you. Your symbol pulses once and you feel the might of Koar overtake you.
- [1p] Creating a myriad of colorful whorls in the air, a flock of small rainbow-winged lizards swirls towards you and you are filled with a deep connection to them. Diving and darting, they cavort above your corpse in an intricate dance that is breathtaking to behold. As they dance, their wings shimmer and shed multi-colored sparks that rain down upon your body. With each spark that alights upon your flesh, you are filled with a tingling sensation that draws your spirit deep into your body. The aerial display ends in one final loop and the rainbow-winged lizards dart off into the distance, only to wink out of sight a moment later.
- [3p] This section has not been added yet; please add to it now!
|Aid the Fallen (1613)
- [1p] A pillar of gold and topaz radiance manifests around TARGET.
- [2p] CASTER's eyes glow with gold and topaz-hued light, and then everything around you shimmers to match the gold and topaz colors.
- [3p] CASTER's eyes glow with gold and topaz-hued light, and a pillar of gold-streaked topaz radiance manifests around TARGET.
- You briefly close your eyes, and a brilliant golden crown haloes your head. A faint white light builds up and emenates from your hand before it takes the shape of an ethereal sceptre!
- A blast of white energy bursts from the tip of the ethereal sceptre, striking TARGET!
- The ethereal sceptre in your hand splinters into a crackle of energy.
- This section has not been added yet; please add to it now!
|Divine Incarnation (1650)
- [Cast 1p] This section has not been added yet; please add to it now!
- [Cast 3p]
- [Expiration 1p]
- [Expiration 3p]
- [Zeal 1p]
- [Zeal 3p]
- [Armor 1p]
- [Armor 3p]
- [Smite 1p]
- [Smite 3p]
- [Onslaught 1p]
- [Onslaught 3p]