Open Sea Adventures
- Explore the newly-accessible ocean and experience dynamic weather messaging.
- Buy your own ship and travel in style.
- Gain reputation to access better ships and cosmetic upgrades.
- Gain notoriety and unlock special titles - both temporary and permanent.
- Test your mettle in ship versus ship combat. Fire your cannons, repair your ship, or flee from your enemies!
- All new ship boarding. Fight waves of enemies aboard your ship as you attempt to come out victorious. Defeat them all, take their treasure, and raze their ship!
- Lost at sea? Lose your crew and your morale? There is a new rescue system to help you get back to port should you face total defeat on the high seas.
The ocean is massive in scale. Players can use ships to travel between several towns west and east of the DragonSpine:
A collection of various Open Sea Adventures maps can be found here.
Reputation and notoriety are gained with Kraken's Fall by hunting down pirates or performing tasks at the Sea Hag's Roost such as culling pirates, hunting captains, or sinking ships. Reputation unlocks more cosmetic options and the ability to purchase the larger ships (but does not result in a price reduction). Notoriety tracks your total infamy on the seas with "all time" notoriety (OSA INFO) and a 30-day notoriety tracking leadboard which is mostly for bragging rights but also unlocks possible titles. Your total pirate kills are also tracked with more tracking planned for future release phases.
Your Reputation starts out at Neutral and increases by performing the following tasks:
- Turning in Salvaged Crates
- Killing Pirates
- RAZEing ships
- Turning in completed tasks
|Reputation Rank||Reputation Required|
Death and Total Failure
Should you experience the unique death messaging by dying on the sea or falling overboard - where you will eventually drown, you will be lucky enough to either be rescued by good sailors or by greedy pirate. What happens next depends on which group finds you and returns you to Kraken's Fall. Pirates will ransom your freedom while the town will charge you for the rescue services provided. The death/rescue event takes 4.2 minutes. If your ship is sunk, you must repair it. All fees must be paid on a ship before you can launch it again.
- OSA displays information related to the system as well as fines, roles, current task, and other help.
- SHIP displays customizations and upgrades of owned ship, allows you to scuttle your ship to end your journey, and provides information on the systems, processes, and commands related to managing and using your ship.
- REPUTATION displays information on your reputation with the town of Kraken's Fall as well as with Reim.
To buy a ship, you need to visit Chip n' Dwight's on Deadeye's Road in Kraken's Fall. When first starting on your career as a captain, you will only have access to the sloop. To earn access to the larger ships, you will need to earn reputation with the town of Kraken's Fall. You can do so by performing tasks or hunting down pirate ships out on our beloved ocean, the Tenebrous Cauldron, or on the Great Western Sea. This may be done on other people's ships, not just your own. Ships are a one-time purchase and can never be re-sold or transferred. Increasing your reputation does not decrease the cost of the ships.
|Ship||Cost (silv.)||Repairs (silv.)||Reputation Requirement||Interactable Sails||Classification||Room Count||Max Characters||Max Speed Rating||Min Cannons||Max Cannons||Min Supplies||Max Supplies||Min Hull Strength||Max Hull Strength||Max Cargo Bin Capacity|
|Man O' War||400 million||150K||Ally||Three||Heavy||12||20||4||14||18||150||225||900||1200||300lbs|
Your ship will have a random name, assigned when you purchase it. This can be changed (re-randomized) for a fee by talking to the ship name registrar within the Inking Den's Office of Petitions. A partial, yet growing list of potential ship names is available to view or contribute to based on your own ships.
Ship Upgrading and Cosmetics
You can upgrade your ship by visiting one of the many merchants around Kraken's Fall. Each merchant has a specialty in a service they can provide. Functional upgrades offer mechanical gains to make your ship stronger. Cosmetic upgrades allow you to customize and personalize your ship's appearance to suit your character.
|Upgrade Item||Location||More Information|
|Sails||Yardarm's Skirt on Deadeye's Road||Upgrading your sails will make your ship sail faster.|
|Hull Strength||Swabbing Starts on Siphon Street||Upgrading your hull strength will make your ship able to withstand more damage.|
|Cannons||Maritime Defenses on South Arm Road||Upgrading your cannons increases the total number of cannons on your ship.|
|Cargo Hold||Lean To on Deadeye's Road||Increases the hold's storage capacity of wood and cannon balls. Each level of upgrade also adds 20lbs to cargo bin capacity.|
|Courier Birds||All Hands on South Arm Road||Allows remote task redemption and acquisition. (Ask merchant about BIRD BOAT TYPE)|
|Upgrade Item||Shop Location||Upgrade Type|
|Cannons||Maritime Defenses on South Arm Road||article, material|
|Captain's Quarters||Sailor's Solace on Siphon Street||chair (material, type, long), table (color, material), bed (color, material, long), wall (material), style, map (color, material), trash (color, material)|
|Crew Quarters||All Hands on South Arm Road||style|
|Figureheads||Bowsprit's Maiden on Cranial Crawl||type, color, material|
|Flags||Vexillology Visions on South Arm Road||color, material|
|Gangplank||Swabbing Starts on Siphon Street||color, material|
|Hulls||Swabbing Starts on Siphon Street||color, material|
|Mess Hall||Grub, Gruel, and Grog on South Arm Road||food (five types), furniture (color, material)|
|Sails||Yardarm's Skirt on Deadeye's Road||color, material|
|Wheels||Fighting the Helm on Deadeye's Road||color, material|
While sailing, you have a random chance to be attacked by an enemy ship from these types: general/mixed (these have dark ships), ethereal (undead), or krolvin. The enemy ship is private and spawned specifically for you and your crew. Once engaged, you can follow the above-outlined combat for general boarding. Once boarded, creatures spawn in waves for everyone on board at the level of those gathered. These match the level of those in each room, so separate if you need to. You can spread out onto both ships, but your ship can be hit by cannon fire or arrows while boarded. (This appears to do damage only to the characters while boarded, not the ship.)
Ethereal (undead) pirates require blessed magic metal or, if using ranged, magical woods or magical metal arrowheads.
|Enemy Ship Size||Enemy Count|
If you manage to deplete the enemy ship of units, a boss (Ethereal Captain, Krolvin Captain, or Pirate Captain) will spawn that must be defeated. If you defeat the boss, you can SEARCH the treasure pile on their ship for boxes. You may also want to take their supply crate to restock your own ship.
Salvage crates can be gained from searching the treasure pile or, if you sink a ship without boarding, one may appear in the water. The salvage crate will be bound to you and your crew when picked up. These can be brought to the handler and turned in for a loot chest based on the tier of the salvage. The loot crates will have an assortment of items, including gems of varying rarities, Kraken's Fall bank notes of varying amounts, and a chance at an item. Upon handing off the salvage crate, the handler will award any crew members present in the same room with Notoriety and Reputation in addition to the rewards aforementioned. (You must be present in the same room.)
If you want a task before going out, go to the Sea Hag's Roost, Tavern and GET BOARD. Once you have a task, you can use OSA TASK for details and help or to abandon it. To turn in the task, return to the Sea Hag and TURN BOARD.
Ship Repairing & Fees
As you sail your ship, it may incur damage that must be repaired. To repair your ship after it is destroyed or damaged, you will need to visit the boatswain. You can find him at the Academy of the Bos'n on Deadeye's Road. You may also find yourself with fines due to services provided by the town while out on the open sea or trapped in a back alley. You will need to pay these off at the local debt collector. Having debts in either form will prevent you from launching your ship again. Maximum ship fees for a scuttled or destroyed ship are listed in the Summary of Ship Statistics table.
While in combat, you'll see messaging that a cannon ball hit your ship in different spots. It is imperative that you repair the damage done (see ship commands below) or your ship will sink.
Ship roles will provide you with bonuses, beginning at the adept rank, as you level them up. You will need to declare your role before taking part in a journey. The bonuses can range from more damage when firing a cannon to faster interaction with navigation. To declare your role, you will need to visit the NPC in Kraken's Fall. You ASK OFFICIAL ABOUT DECLARE <role> in exchange for 10,000 silver. He is located in the Town Hall, the Inking Den, in the Office of Employment. Each role has some specialties that pertain to its title. You can look at the OSA ROLE command to see your status.
Role Experience can be earned performing the following tasks:
- Steering the ship
- Firing the cannons
- Loading the cannons
- Repairing the ship
- Razing an enemy ship
- Turning in salvaged crates
- Turning in a completed task board
The Role Ranks are Rookie, Novice, Adept, Veteran, Master. Each Role Rank earned provides a Role Bonus starting from the Novice rank (nothing is earned as a Rookie). The Role Bonuses earned at each rank stack with ones earned at the lower rank. Role Experience required increases each rank up to a maximum of 3000.
|Ship Role||Role Rank||Role EXP||Role Bonus|
|Adept||500||Provides a small bonus to each repair. Provides a very small chance to not consume repair materials.|
|Veteran||1500||Provides a medium bonus to each repair. Provides a small chance to not consume repair materials. Able to retrieve wood from the supply pile faster. Able to make repairs faster and see the health of each room of the ship.|
|Master||3000||Provides a large bonus to each repair. Provides a medium chance to not consume repair materials. Able to retrieve wood from the supply pile much faster. Able to make repairs much faster and see the health of each room of the ship.|
|Adept||500||Provides a small bonus to pushing the capstan.|
|Veteran||1500||Provides a small bonus to damage and accuracy with cannons. Provides a small bonus to each repair. Able to turn the wheel faster.|
|Master||3000||Provides a small bonus to pushing the capstan and see the health of each room of the ship. Provides a medium bonus to cannon damage and accuracy. Provides a medium bonus to repaired damage. Able to fix the ship, load the cannons, and turn the wheel faster.|
|Adept||500||Provides a small bonus to cannon damage|
|Veteran||1500||Provides a medium bonus to cannon damage and a small bonus to accuracy. Able to retrieve cannon balls from the supply pile faster. Able to shoot a cannon faster. Able to load the cannon balls slightly faster. Has a chance to fire the cannon twice.|
|Master||3000||Provides a large bonus to cannon damage and a medium bonus to accuracy. Able to retrieve cannon balls from the supply pile much faster. Able to shoot a cannon much faster. Able to load the cannon balls faster. Has a chance to fire the cannon twice.|
|Adept||500||Able to manipulate the sails slightly faster. Able to steer the ship slightly faster.|
|Veteran||1500||Able to manipulate the sails, wheel and capstan slightly faster. Able to still see the map while in a storm. Able to JUMP from the CROW'S NEST to one of the following locations: helm, bow, deck, pier, and dock. Able to TURN the WHEEL at SHIP during the boarding engagement to speed up the process.|
|Master||3000||Able to manipulate the sails, capstan, and steer the ship much faster. Able to JUMP from the CROW'S NEST to one of the following locations: helm, bow, deck, pier, and dock. Able to still see the map while in a storm. Provides a large bonus to pushing the capstan. Able to TURN the WHEEL at SHIP during the boarding engagement to speed up the process.|
|Adept||500||Provides a small bonus to avoid arrow volleys, cannon shrapnel, and cannon barrages.|
|Veteran||1500||Provides a small bonus to avoid arrow volleys, cannon shrapnel, and cannon barrages. Able to JUMP from the CROW'S NEST to one of the following locations: helm, bow, deck, port, dock and enemy ship when boarded. Provides a small bonus to damage with cannons|
|Master||3000||Provides a medium bonus to avoid arrow volleys, cannon shrapnel, and cannon barrages. Able to JUMP from the CROW'S NEST to one of the following locations: helm, bow, deck, port, dock and enemy ship when boarded. Provides a medium bonus to damage and accuracy with cannons. Able to shoot the cannons faster. Has a chance to fire the cannon twice.|
Ship & Sailing Basics
To launch your ship, you will need to find the dock handler outside the pier on Deadeye's Road. You can RETRIEVE, STORE, or STOCK your ship here. Retrieving will find an empty spot along the pier and launch your ship for you to use. If you are taking a quick break between voyages, avoid the retrieval fee by leaving your ship at the pier. Just remember that all ships are stored after two hours docked or four hours stationary on the ocean for system efficiency. After you have successfully retrieved your ship, you can find it out on the pier. The handler will tell you which space on the pier your ship occupies.
The absolute minimum the sloop is stocked with on retrieval is 25 of each material; the retrieval fee covers half of your supplies and the ability to launch your ship. If you want more, you can STOCK your ship with WOOD or CANNON balls, and it will fill up your cargo supplies for your adventure. Cannon balls are 100 silvers each and wood is 100 silvers a plank. You can avoid this extra fee if you would like to immediately board an enemy ship and take over some of their supplies.
Once you reach your ship, you can GO SHIP (sloop, brigantine, etc.) to have the gangplank deployed. Once on your ship, you can either PULL GANGPLANK or PUSH GANGPLANK to deploy or retract it. It is best to familiarize yourself with the layout of your ship prior to DEPARTing on your journey.
- PUSH GANGPLANK deploys your gangplank and PULL GANGPLANK retracts it. You cannot deploy your gangplank into the middle of the ocean. You can only deploy it at a port or when engaged with another ship and in boarding range.
- DEPART can be used when you are ready to start your voyage from a port.
Sailing and Steering Your Ship
Use the map located in the Captain's Quarters to gain your bearing based on the nautical map name. Each 50-room block has its own unique identifier and the ocean map will give you an idea as to which block you're in. At this time, there is no bias in what type of enemy you get based upon where you are in the map, so sail freely!
There is messaging when the ship moves that indicates the state of the sails of your ship. This messaging was added to help players identify if they forgot to handle their sails. If you or your crewmates are able, consider casting call wind or breeze on your sails, as this will speed you along as you make way.
|No Sails||The man o' war drifts slowly north, its sails fully raised.|
|Other Sails||The man o' war cuts through the ocean, heading north.|
|Full Sails||The man o' war cuts through the ocean, heading north at full speed.|
You have TURNed your wheel in a direction, you will no longer be able to turn it in that same direction again.
turn wheel port You grab hold of the maple wheel and do your best to steer the ship toward the bustling port. turn wheel port The maple wheel is already turned that way!
- PUSH CAPSTAN to raise the anchor. You can KICK the capstan to deploy it again.
- LOWER SAIL to get more wind and RAISE sails to get less. This will impact how fast you can sail. If you are sailing a larger ship you will need to manipulate all the sails.
- TURN WHEEL <DIRECTION> will allow you to steer your ship. After you steer your ship you will need to wait for the wind to carry it into the next area. TURN WHEEL SHIP will start navigating for a boarding process. TURN WHEEL PORT will sail you to safety if you're at a port.
- LOOK MAP in the Captain's Quarters will allow you to see where you are on the ocean.
ASK HANDLER ABOUT WEATHER before going out to get an idea of which oceans to steer clear of or toward! Each area of the Tenebrous Cauldron and the Great Western Sea may have different weather, and the areas are listed below. Storms can have the following effects:
- Crew members have a chance to experience some maneuvers if they're out on the deck during a storm.
- The storm can cause your ship to misbehave, including steering your ship in a different direction and increasing the time it takes to reach a new area.
- Enemy ships are more dangerous. You will face ships potentially out of your league and more difficult ships more often.
The Tenebrous Cauldron has four areas: North Blue, South Blue, West Blue, East Blue.
The Great Western Sea has ten areas: Obsidian Trench, Obsidian Sea, Sea of Lazuli, Solhaven Bay, South of Cobalt Depths, Darkstone Bay, Cobalt Depths, Kestrel Sea, South of Sea of Lazuli, South Kestral Sea.
The dock handler says, "Based on recent weather reports, here is what the ocean is lookin' like as of right now." The Tenebrous Cauldron: North Blue: Light winds with partial clouds South Blue: Light winds with partial clouds West Blue: Heavy winds and rain with dark skies East Blue: Light winds with partial clouds The Great Western Sea Obsidian Trench: Heavy winds and rain with dark skies Obsidian Sea: Calm seas and blue skies Sea Of Lazuli: Light winds with partial clouds Solhaven Bay: Calm seas and blue skies South of Cobalt Depths: Calm seas and blue skies Darkstone Bay: Light winds with partial clouds Cobalt Depths: Light winds with partial clouds Kestral Sea: Heavy winds and rain with dark skies South of Sea of Lazuli: Light winds with partial clouds South Kestral Sea: Calm seas and blue skies
Engaging in Battles
Cannon balls should be taken onto the deck of your ship to load the cannons. You can only FIRE your cannon if you are engaged with an enemy.
- GET CANNON BALL from your cargo hold then move to your cannon and LOAD it. You are limited to loading your cannons to the total number of cannons per side. Cannon balls are temporary and will self-destruct if not used.
- LOAD CANNON
- FIRE CANNON - you can only fire if you're engaged with an enemy ship prior to boarding.
Boarding a Ship
Once you are within range of the enemy ship, you will be able to board. You will receive messaging about the ship being almost in boarding range and then receive this message:
The sides of the <other ship> collide against your <ship>! Several ropes with claw-shaped hooks on the end find purchase into the railing of your <ship>. Battle cries sound off as those on the <other ship> prepare to board!
There are ambush traps possible. The number of ambushes that can occur depends on the size of your ship and are randomized between 1 and the maximum number possible. You will not receive an ambush trap when leaving a room.
See flag information below for more information on pirate spawn rate.
Once you have razed the ship, you will no longer be able to empty the Captain's Quarters and you will get the following message:
The battle-marred brigantine rapidly descends beneath the cold, dark waters. You gain some experience! You gain some fame! You gain role experience! You have earned some notoriety. Your reputation with Kraken's Fall just got better.
- PUSH GANGPLANK
- GO GANGPLANK
- LISTEN while on the enemy ship to see how many of the enemy are left.
- SEARCH the treasure pile after you've defeated the boss.
- RAZE to destroy the ship.
Ship Flag Settings
You can now use SHIP FLAG on your ship. If you're not the captain, this only displays which flag the captain is flying. This flag is for mechanical use only. The command has a 15 minute cooldown per use. You are at "Neutral" by default.
- White Flag lowers your encounter rate to 20% chance. White flag provides 5 minute encounter immunity after sinking an enemy ship. This also decreases creature spawn rate.
- No Flag keeps your encounter rate at 30% chance. No Flag provides 4 minute encounter immunity after sinking an enemy ship.
- Black flag raises your encounter rate to 40% chance. Black Flag provides 3 minute encounter immunity after sinking an enemy ship. This also increases creature spawn rate.
Restocking and Fixing Your Ship
Below deck in the cargo hold, you can find wood and cannon balls. It is a good idea to restock your wood and cannon balls to full prior to starting your journey. Your ship will have a half-supply of wood planks and cannon balls when retrieved from storage. The wood is used to FIX rooms that have taken damage from cannon fire. ASSESS from any room on your ship to get a readout of damage in that room. Boatswains (veteran rank and above) and Captains (master rank) can get a readout of all damage to each room of the ship. Your ship's health is a formula of the hull strength by a multiplier. As it takes damage, it detracts from a total health pool. Repair any damage received before taking too much and sinking.
You can store things in the cargo bin on the ship; this is the only place that is safe from the janitor.
- ASSESS while used on your ship will give you a readout of any damage in that specific room.
- GET WOOD from your Cargo Hold then move to where your ship took damage to repair it.
If you have a supply crate, you can PUT CRATE ON WOOD or PUT CRATE ON BALLS to restock them. You can LOOK WOOD or LOOK BALLS to check supplies.
Interacting with the Ocean
If you are thrown from the ship, you can climb back up onto the ship you fell off of even if the anchor is up.
- LOOK OCEAN will let you glance out from your ship's deck to see where you are on the Tenebrous Cauldron. You can use PEER in directions to glance ahead. The crow's nest will allow you to peer a little farther.
- WATCH OCEAN will let you keep an up-to-date glance at the ocean room as your ship sails. This information will go to the familiar window.
- JUMP can be used on the main deck of the ship to jump into the ocean. You'll want to drop your anchor before doing this!
- CONSIDER will let you check the status of the weather on the ocean.
- PEER will let you look at the ocean in the directions provided. If you are in the crow's nest you will be able to peer an extra room out.
If you have an item with the noun spyglass or telescope and you PEER with it in your hand, you will be able to see one additional room. This provides for being able to see two rooms when on deck and three rooms when in the crow's nest.
Quick Command List
- PUSH/PULL GANGPLANK to extend or draw in the gangplank.
- RAISE/LOWER SAIL to adjust speed.
- TURN WHEEL any cardinal or ordinal direction for normal travel.
- TURN WHEEL PORT to steer the ship at a port in the same room as your ship.
- TURN WHEEL SHIP to start a boarding action when an enemy ship is present.
- PUSH/KICK CAPSTAN to raise and lower anchor.
- LOAD CANNON while holding a cannon ball to load your cannons.
- FIRE CANNON to fire a cannon at an enemy ship when engaged.
- LOOK <OBJECT> has some information for some of the objects on your ship if you get confused.
- FIX damage in appropriate rooms.
- LOOK MAP for a general readout of where you are.
- DEPART to set sail once your gangplank is retracted and anchor is up.
- ASSESS to determine the condition of the room you are in and health.
- LOOK OCEAN to take a quick look at the sea your ship is in.
- WATCH OCEAN to keep a continuous eye on the ocean. This will display in your familiar window.
- CONSIDER will let you check the status of the weather on the ocean.
- PEER will let you look at the ocean in the directions provided. If you are in the crow's nest you will be able to peer an extra room out.
- JUMP can be used from the main deck where the gangplank resides to dive into the water. From there you can climb back onto the ship.
- RAZE is used on the enemy ship when all enemies are gone.
- LISTEN is used on the enemy ship to get an idea of how many units are left.
More is planned to be released to this system via a phased approach. Visit the #open-sea-adventures channel on the Official Discord for more information.
Common Questions and Answers
What happens when I log out of the game while I'm on the ocean on my ship?
When you log back in, you will be at the last port you departed from and you will have a fine for your ship being left out at sea.
Can I travel by ship to other towns?
Yes. There are ports at River's Rest, Teras Isle, Wehnimer's Landing, Kraken's Fall, and Solhaven.
Where is my ship stored?
Your ships are stored at the port either where they were last retrieved, or where they last moored. Ships can be transported for a fee.
Is fishing available?
You can fish at Kraken's Fall, but not from your ship.
|Project Lead, Concept, Design: Retser|
|Kraken's Fall Lead: Thandiwe|
|Buildings||Elysani||The Intoxicating Flora, Mystigoggles Magicorium|
|Kynlee||The Bait 'N Weight Shack, Fishing Pier|
|Naionna||Bejewled Booty, The Naked Fauna, Rising Pint, The Soup Bone|
|Sindin||Brewmaster's Tap, Sea Hag's Roost, Storm Petrel's Wing, The Threadbare Admiral|
|Thandiwe||Academy of the Bos'n, All Hands, Boarding House, Chip n' Dwight's, Fighting the Helm, Grub, Gruel, and Grog, Guard Tower, Inking Den, Irosah's Armaments, Knife's Edge, Kraken's Fall Jailhouse, The Last Frontier, Lean To, Maritime Defenses, Molskroen Hall, Sailor's Solace, Sunfist Outpost, Swabbing Starts, Weather Station, Yardarm's Skirt|
|Quilic||Adventurer's Guild, Bank, Bushybrow's Collectibles, Unburied Treasures|
|Vanah||Leaf and Bean|
|Xayle||Captain's Cup, Kelpie Beds, The Melting Pot, Sailcloth Findings|
|Xeraphina||Bowsprit's Maiden, Cartwright, Citizenship Office, Forges of the Kraken, The Peaceful Porpoise|
|Paint||Flannihan||Kraken's Fall Hunting Grounds|
|Thandiwe||Kraken's Fall, Pier, Main Gate, Logging colony|
|NPCs||Thandiwe, Netz, Naionna, Xeraphina, Retser, Modrian, Kynlee|
|Creatures||Kynlee, Thandiwe, Retser|
|Ocean Lead: Retser|
|Messaging||Valyrka, Naionna, Netz|
|Shape and mapping||Grackner, Sook, Thandiwe, Naos, Retser|
|Ocean systems||Naos, Retser|
|Standard Systems Lead: Retser|
|Coding||Modrian, Kynlee, Thandiwe, Naos, Retser|
|OSA Systems Lead: Retser|
|Ship Cosmetics||Elidi, Retser|
|Ship Cosmetic Systems||Retser|
|Flannihan, Mariath, Xayle, Valyrka, Isten, Tivvy, Vanah, Sleken, Modrian, Itzel, Kynlee, Naos, Retser, Kveta|