The cosmology of GemStone IV is ill-defined in the sense of systematic schemes of categorization and theory. The Shadow World cosmology of the I.C.E. Age was somewhat more concrete, with separate kinds of planes and entities such as the Pales. There were plans for an onion shell kind of model of planes surrounding our world, formed by tensions of kinds of forces and dualities. This was the original sense of the word "valences." Strictly speaking, not every "other reality" should be called a "plane" or "plane of existence", if the metaphor of a surface plane or "existence" is not meaningful.
Some basic facts of the multi-planar setting from documentation and observed phenomena:
- The world is separated from other planes or realms by "veils" surrounding it.
- These other realities shift and move around in some higher space.
- Intersections of planes move around as planes move around.
- Intersections allow foreign energy and properties to bleed through the two worlds.
- Creatures can be corrupted, cursed, or transformed by foreign energy.
- Physical properties, including time, can vary greatly.
- Veils can be "pierced", allowing planar transport.
- Rifts can happen accidentally under intense magic.
The known elemental planes correspond to the four primary elements. There has not been reference to other pure elements, such as Planes of Light, Shadow, and so on.
Prime Elemental Planes
The Prime Elemental Planes consist of:
- The Plane of Fire
- The Plane of Air
- The Plane of Water
- The Plane of Earth
Composite Elemental Planes
- The Elemental Confluence (PMP intersection; claimed by Alusius to be our primary original source of elemental mana)
It is unclear if the Faendryl use "valence" as a synonym for "all planes", or only "demonic" planes, or a subset of such realities.
Known demonic "valences" include:
Other Demonic Planes
- The Shadow Realm (Althedeus, oculoths)
- The Twisted Realms (plane the Nameless Necromancer stored the Planar Shift (740) spell)
- Unknown plane of Ur-Daemon
- Unknown plane of thew bark trees
- Unknown plane of blood apple trees (Deadfall; extraplanar seeds from a Marluvian priest)
- Unknown valence of splinter-clawed demon of Goblyn's Workshop
- Unknown plane of Solhaven's shadow demons
- Unknown plane of vathors
- Unknown plane of Maleskari
- Unknown valence of Mind Jolt (706)
- Unknown plane of Cloak of Shadows (712) demon
- Unknown plane of Balefire (713)
- Unknown plane of Torment (718) demon
The Ithzir live in material plane worlds and apparently travel to others conquering them.
Known Ithzir worlds include:
- Kol Tar'sken
- Kol Granoth (Old Ta'Faendryl Ithzir)
- Unnamed forest plane (seen through portal in 5115 Modern Era)
These are loosely other planes involving the mind or spirit moving between worlds, or the body de-materializing and re-materializing.
There may be a distinction between an astral method of entering other planes and a plane that is purely immaterial.
- Purgatory (The Pale; the death mechanics messaging)
- The Rift (possibly esoteric planes in the mind of Koar, multiple overlays coexisting in the same places)
- The Broken Lands (loosely based on Lovecraft's Dreamlands)
- The Realm of Dreams (e.g. dream-walkers; truffles and the Erithian woman)
- The Endless Light (mindscape of Prelate Chaston Griffin, accessed through Rodnay in 5116 Modern Era)
- "Echo" of the Shadow Realm (accessed by Quinshon and through Teuriz in 5117 Modern Era)
- Mind Rot (hallucinations of the same places from oculoth venom)
- Darkness (where you go while possessed by oculoths)
These are time warps outside our space, but they are contiguous with it. They intersect with it at various fixed points in a region.
- Temporal rifts (e.g. glyph traps; temporal warrior and worm invasion creatures)
- The Rift (was related to the temporal rifts; depicts multiple realities it touches upon, based heavily on Tarot cards)
These are loosely other planes storing spirits, whether fey or undead or souls. They might be able to be traveled to astrally or materially through portals.
- The Maw of Luukos (where souls go marked by Luukos, mawfire burns both flesh and spirit)
- The Pale (beyond the Ebon Gate; seemingly same place as Purgatory)
- The Void (Vishmiir)
- Shadow Valley (the fey otherworld intersecting Silver Valley)
- Castle Anwyn (the fey otherworld intersecting Castle Anwyn)
These are other versions of Elanthia, or possibly the same Elanthia under another history or later times.
- Orb vision in the Sheruvian summoning chamber (Town Square Central at this moment, but mass slaughter and flames)
- Sorcerer Guild on Teras Isle (Crossroads from DragonRealms, possibly a time rift)
- The Rift (some rooms correspond to places in Elanthia in twisted darker forms)
- Plane of the V'reen morphs
- Inorios Plateau (Fash'lo'nae Library)
- Interplanar rift of The Vvrael (anti-mana realm)
- Interplanar void of Implosion (720)
- Starry realm in urglaes-set pitted silver talisman (Marluvian relic, possibly Broken Lands)
- Plane of Nershuul
- Plane of the Black Temple (Griffin Sword War)
- Origin of the Erithi (possibly another time, another plane, an alternate Elanthia)
- Cracked plain of undead seen in Darkstone Castle's mana storm (possibly an alternate Elanthia)
Pages in category "Cosmology"
The following 21 pages are in this category, out of 21 total.