Order of Voln
The Order of Voln is a society devoted to the freeing of undead from the torment they endure on Elanthia. Freeing the undead garners the members of the Order favor. The order was established in 4045 by Manor Lord Fasthr K'Tafali in the region surrounding the Kannalan city of Kedshold. According to loresong, Voln, himself appeared before K'Tafali and instructed K'Tafali and his men in the symbols of the order.
The Order first truly came to the attention of historians with the appearance of the Horned Cabal in the southern region of the Turamzzyrian Empire. Uniquely situated to deal with the menace of the undead, the Order flourished from this time period, playing increasingly important roles in the various engagements with the Horned Cabal over the last century and a half. This has included the Battle of Tyllan and the Battle of Skyreach.
Joining the Order of Voln
The following explains the procedure for obtaining membership in the Order of Voln.
- First, a membership invitation to join the Order must be received. This invitation may be extended to any player's character, level 3 or higher, by either a town NPC (e.g., the grizzled old warrior in Wehnimer's Landing) or by a Master (Rank 26 member) in the Order of Voln. Masters can accomplish this with the INVITE (verb) using the syntax: Invite <Name>.
- Second, once invited, prospective members need to cleanse themselves of all worldly pollutions. This is accomplished by first going to an Order of Voln monastery, stowing the items in their hands, and then entering the water pool. While relaxing in the pool, the prospective member will receive a series of messages. Once the message 'you have been cleansed of all worldly pollutions' has been received, the character will then be permitted to enter the monastery proper.
- Third, upon entering the monastery, prospective members must visit the Grandmaster. He will welcome and instruct the individual on the Order's mission, a bit of history and the reponsibilities of membership.
- Finally, the Grandmaster will offer membership which will necessitate repeating an Oath to the Great Spirit Voln.
- Membership Oath
"I pledge to aid and succor the Great Spirit Voln in his mission on Elanthia."
Upon correctly repeating this Oath the character will then receive another welcome from the Grandmaster and additional instructions on how to proceed.
The new member may then begin their journey along the Path to Enlightenment by visiting the first monk on the path.
When a character helps defeat an undead or merely witnesses another character kill an undead, that character gains favor. Favor is a bank of points used to power symbols and advance in the Order of Voln.
In the above example the globe reading of 250 spins represents a minimum of 250,000 units of favor. The next globe reading is 300 spins. So the actual available units of favor is equal to or greater than 250k but less than 300k units.
Favor gained from releasing an undead is equal to [( character level ÷ 15 ) × creature level )]. Round up the result to the next highest integer. This assumes that the character releases the undead solo and the creature has sustained no previous damage.
The simple act of witnessing the release of an undead creature grants favor. The percentage of favor gained from witnessing, but not contributing to the release, is 30% for Voln masters and 20% for non-masters.
See Favor article for additional details.
Gaining ranks and obtaining symbols
One receives a new symbol for each rank gained in the Order of Voln. To advance in rank, one must obtain a certain amount of favor, visit a monk on the path to enlightenment, and then complete a task. To check if one has enough favor to obtain the next rank, one can either visit a monk on the path to enlightenment or enter the vision room and PRAY (verb).
The first rank and Symbol of Recognition are given without any task or favor requirement. The favor requirement increases for each additional step.
See Table for favor requirements for each step.
Order of Voln Symbols
Members of the Order of Voln gain access to one new symbol per rank. Master's of the Order have access to a total of 26 symbols. Symbols are similar to spells but are powered by favor instead of mana. The favor cost to activate symbols increases with a character's level. However, the amount of favor gained from releasing an undead also increases with level.
The favor required to activate a symbol is character level-based. For example, the favor cost for one use of symbol of courage for a level 20 member is 29 units and increases to 218 units for a level 100 character. Although there is nearly a 7 fold increase in cost, this is offset by a higher percentage of favor gained by the 100 level character. A level 20 character releasing a level 20 creature will receive (20 ÷ 15) * 20 = 27 units of favor. A level 100 character releasing a level 100 undead receives (100 ÷ 15) * 100 = 667 units of favor.
The relative cost column, in the table below, can be used to compare one symbol's cost to another. For example, Symbol of Return's favor cost is approximately 10x the cost of Symbol of Courage. Actual cost will vary based upon the character's level.
Note: Each symbol has a dedicated page with more detailed information.
|Symbol of Recognition||Identifies other members of the Order and any undead present. No favor cost.||Utility|
|Symbol of Blessing||Bless weapons, including magical metal/enchanted weapons, and other combat gear used to strike undead. Enchant bonus bless is limited to member's (Voln rank * 2). Eg., Rank 10 member can bless maximum +20 (4x) enchanted gear.||0.4x/2x||Utility|
|Symbol of Thought||Transmit thought message to all members within range.||
|Symbol of Diminishment||Temporarily reduces a targeted undead creature's DS, TD, and CMAN defense by -1 per rank with a maximum penalty of -26. Uses the standard success resolution system.||Attack|
|Symbol of Courage||Increases member's Attack Strength +1 per rank (Max bonus +26). Duration of 10 seconds per rank (stackable). Fear based attack protection.||Offense/Defense|
|Symbol of Protection||Increases member's Defensive Strength +1 per rank (Max bonus +26). Duration of 20 seconds per rank. Protection also adds a TD boost of 1/2 total ranks. (Max bonus +13) (stackable).||Defense|
|Symbol of Submission||Forces undead to offensive stance and lowers DS -1 per rank. Uses the standard success resolution system.||Attack|
|Kai's Strike||Allows unarmed combat attacks to damage undead creatures without the normal requirement of blessed gear. This is a passive ability and has no favor cost.||Utility|
|Symbol of Holiness||Direct damage attack against undead using the standard success resolution system.||Attack|
|Symbol of Recall||Restores spells after death. Must be invoked while dead. No benefit if member voluntarily departs.||Utility|
|Symbol of Sleep||Targeted or mass disabling attack used against both undead and living creatures. Uses the standard success resolution system. Player friendly.||
|Symbol of Transcendence||For 30 seconds member will take damage as if in an incorporeal state. 3 minute cooldown period / 10 minutes if used in emergency.||Defense|
|Symbol of Mana||Restores 50 mana. Initially, no deed cost. 5 minute cooldown period.||Utility|
|Symbol of Sight||Locate other members of the Order within range.||Utility|
|Symbol of Retribution||Direct attack against undead when member is deceased. When used while living (self-cast version) will reactively flare if struck by an undead creature. Uses the standard success resolution system.||
|Symbol of Supremacy||Bonus of +1 per two Voln ranks to AS/CS,CMAN, UAF against undead creatures. Duration: 10 seconds per rank - (stackable).||Offense|
|Symbol of Restoration||Returns up to half of a members health point loss. Minimum +10/Maximum +50 HP recovery per use.||Utility|
|Symbol of Need||Transmits an image of the member's location to all other members within range. Can be used while dead.||Utility|
|Symbol of Renewal||Immediately restores 1 Spirit Point per use to the member. Hard cooldown period of 2 minutes in which the symbol cannot be reactivated.||Utility|
|Symbol of Disruption||Casts an aura around user and group members. Any noncorporeal undead struck will sustain penalties to AS/DS,CS/TD,UDF, CMAN. Duration: 10 seconds per rank - (stackable).||
|Kai's Smite||An unarmed combat attack, activated via the SMITE verb. Will temporarily pull a non-corporeal undead creature into corporealness. Will make corp undead more susceptible to damage. No favor cost.||Attack|
|Symbol of Turning||Targeted or mass attack causing states similar to fear effects with possible instant death result. Uses the standard success resolution system.||
|Symbol of Preservation||Self Lifekeep. Can also be used on other characters.||Utility|
|Symbol of Dreams||Member enters a sleep-state during which time there is increased recovery of health, mana, spirit and reduced stats from Death's Sting. You are able to speak while this is active, but whispers or thought net activities will awaken you.||Utility|
|Symbol of Return||Immediate Teleportation of member or member's group (certain areas will only allow individual transport) to the nearest Voln outpost.||Utility|
|Symbol of Seeking||Teleportation of member or member's group from a voln outpost to an undead hunting area within the general vicinity. No favor cost.||Utility|
Masters (rank 26 members) of the Order of Voln may enter the Master's hall which includes:
- Access to teleportation centered on a few rooms via the tapestry (in Wehnimer's Landing)
Meditation Chamber Visions
By praying in the monastery meditation chamber members will receive a vision indicating the percentage of favor they have acquired toward completion of the step. Visions are in 10% increments.
Followed (approximately 45 seconds) by one of the following eleven visions.
- After a few moments of prayer and reflection you see a vision of a flower that has not yet begun to open. (0 to <10%)
- After a few moments of prayer and reflection you see a vision of a baby eagle barely hatched from its egg. (10 to <20%)
- After a few moments of prayer and reflection you see a vision of a butterfly drying its wings on a leaf. (20 to <30%)
- After a few moments of prayer and reflection you see a vision of the headwaters of a mighty river. Here it has joined with several other streams and is growing quickly. (30 to <40%)
- After a few moments of prayer and reflection you see a vision of a weaver on a loom, nearly half way in the creation of an intricate tapestry. (40 to <50%)
- After a few moments of prayer and reflection you see a brief vision of twin bowls of wine. You reach out and empty the contents of one into the other filling it up. You have a sudden desire to fill up the empty bowl too. (50 to <60%)
- After a few moments of prayer and reflection you see a vision of a hiker as he clears the peak of a hill and begins to descend the other side. (60 to <70%)
- After a few moments of prayer and reflection you see a vision of a lute, finely crafted, but missing a third of its strings. (70 to <80%)
- After a few moments of prayer and reflection you see a vision of a rainbow forming as a thunder storm begins to abate. (80 to <90%)
- After a few moments of prayer and reflection you see a vision of a path as it winds its way through a forest and to the edge of a clear pool. You have a sudden desire to jump in but cannot. (90 to <100%)
- After a few moments of prayer and reflection you see a vision of a pool of clear water. You dive in and swim to the bottom where you find a gold coin engraved with the image of Voln. An overwhelming feeling makes you realize that you are indeed ready to take the next step along the Path to Enlightenment. (100%)
River's Rest Visions
Praying in the garden in River's Rest gives a different set of visions. (not a complete list)
- After a few moments of prayer and reflection, you see a vision of a monastery built of riverstone and timber and a messenger running to approach the nearest monk. The messenger exclaims, "A call has gone out from Nydds. The Order is needed in the South! Make fast your preparations to begin. Lord Voln calls!"
- After a few moments of prayer and reflection, you see a vision of a Grandmaster walking before an assembly of monks outfitted for war and travel. He blesses each monk separately before saying, "Now is the time to heed Lord Voln's call. Go forth, do good, and know Torre awaits your return."
- After a few moments of prayer and reflection, you see a vision of a column of monks marching over a hill, under banners of blue and gold and black and white. In the distance behind them, a great river stretches toward a brilliant shining sea and at its mouth, a turtle-egg shaped island.
- After a few moments of prayer and reflection, you see a vision of a company of dust-covered monks sitting around campfires. Traveling equipment lies around them, and you hear talk of Selanthia and Tamzyrr. One subdued voice says, "It's not too late to turn back."
- After a few moments of prayer and reflection, you see a vision of a company of monks marching, surrounded by dry heat and hot dust. Word passes up and down the column of Chastonia reached and Aldora not far ahead. One monk quips, "Lets hope the next half of this journey has better rations than the last."
- After a few moments of prayer and reflection, you see a vision of a column of monks standing on the side of a road allowing caravans of merchants and refugees to pass them by. Murmurs pass through the column of a battle at an Aldoran town known as Tyllan, and the monks gaze determinedly to the south.
- After a few moments of prayer and reflection, you see a vision of a band of monks silhouetted against the radiant sky at sunset, and beyond them, columns of black smoke rise from unseen sources. A voice whispers softly, "It's begun, we are nearly there!"
- After a few moments of prayer and reflection, you see a vision of a company of monks marching quickly down a road. Several pointing ahead, others slinging shields onto their arms, and some beginning to chant spells through ragged breaths of exertion. Someone shouts, "Rally! We're almost there!"
- After a few moments of prayer and reflection, you see a vision of a great walled city and a host of undead moving swiftly towards it. On the opposite side of the city, you see a column of monks under banners of blue and gold and black and white, racing to intercept the undead, their journey nearly complete.
- After a few moments of prayer and reflection, you see a vision of an undead host charging across a plain before the gates of a great walled city. Directly before them stands a company of monks underneath flowing banners of blue and gold and black and white. They gaze stoically toward the undead until a voice from high above upon the city wall shouts, "Are you Torre? Have you arrived at last?" Their eyes narrow with accompanying confident expressions, and a single monk quietly says, "Aye," which is followed by the crushing sound of metal upon metal.
- Voln review saved post authored by GM Coase dated 7/4/12
- Old Voln symbols list
- River's Rest Voln expansion (saved post)
|Order of Voln - edit|
|Voln, the Great Spirit|
|The History of the Order of Voln|